Emby Premier with no internet

hideftv

hideftv

I live in a remote area plagued by frequent thunderstorms and the worst ISP on the planet, CenturyLink. I am frequently without internet during the summer, sometimes for days. When this happens I rely on Emby for entertainment, it's all I've got. I've been a Premier member for a very long time. This week I find that without access to the cloud I am not recognized as a premier member and lose live tv.  Seriously?  Like I don't have enough to work around with no smart home, no entertainment, can't work?  This is really unacceptable. Is there a workaround?

GrimReaper
1 hour ago, hideftv said:

Is there a workaround?

Currently there is not. Server will run on cache license for some time (few weeks at the most, read: max. 3 AFAIK) but will need to phone home to verify license occasionally. As for client apps, that's a mixed-bag, some won't even start without internet connection and some will also need to connect to the internet every so often. 

• Like 1

Hi.  The server and apps do cache this information for a few days but, if you hadn't used a particular device/app for those few days, you could run into a problem.  

Audiomixer

I also have frequent internet outages. Curious why would the server or apps need to call home if one has a lifetime premier license? Could this not be made an exception to the call home requirement?

3 minutes ago, Audiomixer said:

I also have frequent internet outages. Curious why would the server or apps need to call home if one has a lifetime premier license? Could this not be made an exception to the call home requirement?

There are several discussions about this around the forum but the quick answer is, unfortunately, no, we still need to validate all licenses.

Here is one (of several) reasons: Don't get Scammed

Gilgamesh_48

While I do feel there could/should be a way to have Emby fully work without internet. Fortunately, for me, I have a redundancy for recording/watching live TV.

When I want to record something I not only set it up to record through Emby I also use the DVR functionality of my TV provider (Spectrum) to record it. I only use live TV for sports (in particular soccer) so where it is recorded does not matter too much. But I see where those that use the DVR functionality for general recording would have a problem if that ability was lost.

Conversely I also see where Emby would need to regularly check lifetime status. They need to prevent various forms of abuse if it is possible.

What I do not see is any reliable way to verify lifetime status and then allow an extended period of use without verification again.

But many folks can get internet service through their cell phone by tethering but for many of us in a rural location cannot get enough speed through their cell phone to support all of Emby's functions but it should be possible to verify lifetime even over a quite slow connection.

The problem there is I do not know if there is a way to tell Emby to only use the current connection for the verification.

Maybe Emby could somehow be configured with two internet providers. One that allows full functionality and the other that uses just the verification part of the internet access.
I know that such a thing is possible but, so far, I have had no need and I have not even investigated how to make it happen and, for Emby to benefit, I think the program would need to support it or at least be able to temporarily turn off everything but verification as the overhead of even one good metadata lookup might overload a cell phone connection.

Audiomixer
1 hour ago, ebr said:

There are several discussions about this around the forum but the quick answer is, unfortunately, no, we still need to validate all licenses.

Here is one (of several) reasons: Don't get Scammed

Absolutely however as in my case where my lifetime license was purchased directly from emby and has been validated does that still need revalidation on a regular basis? What would have changed?

Curious if my internet dies (lots of outages in winter) and im out for up to a week, can i still access my local content if emby cant validate?

Edited by Audiomixer

GrimReaper
9 minutes ago, Audiomixer said:

can i still access my local content if emby cant validate?

That depends what client apps you're using; you can always access your content accross all apps but full playback might not be feasible on all of them, and Premiere-only features won't be, as well. 

Audiomixer

Gotcha, thanks. Fortunately, longest time i’ve been without internet is 3 days.

Edited by Audiomixer

GrimReaper
41 minutes ago, Audiomixer said:

So if revalidation cannot occur, then on my shield playback would be limited?

Yes. 

41 minutes ago, Audiomixer said:

Fortunately the longest internet outage i’ve had was 3 days so I probably won’t see an issue?

You shouldn't. 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
hideftv

Seems to me that forcing lifetime premier members to lose service just to protect your bottom line pretty much sucks. You need to find a better way.

18 hours ago, hideftv said:

Seems to me that forcing lifetime premier members to lose service just to protect your bottom line pretty much sucks. You need to find a better way.

Hi.  We're protecting our existence.  Mostly, what we are battling is the use of our product as an illegal streaming platform.  That is what could completely kill us one day and it is a constant battle unfortunately.

• Like 2