Downloaded episodes not updating played status

paulschofield

paulschofield

I can see this has come up before from searching, but the posts I found were a year or two old.

I've watched several TV episodes from downloads over the last few days. I've been connected to my server on the same wifi network for approx 7 hours now and the played status of what I watched hasn't updated. I'm using the Android app and the server is on Windows 11.

Other downloads have happened eg something I set off when I was last connected that didn't have a chance to complete.

How can I manually trigger a sync, or is this a known problem?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
paulschofield

@Luke I can be away from home a few days at a time regularly, so I download movies and TV shows. I'm away from my server and WiFi, and I don't have external access turned on.

While I'm away I can watch several movies and TV shows, and when I'm home and on the same WiFi network as my server, I believe the server would update the played status of anything I'd watched while away but it doesn't.

The android app definitely registers the episodes as played because they have the green tick, but the server never registers them as played even after several hours.

This happens on lots of different movies and TV shows

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, paulschofield said:

The android app definitely registers the episodes as played

Hi.  So, is the Android device/app connected to your server again on the local network at this time?

13 hours ago, paulschofield said:

but the server never registers them as played

What are you calling "the server" in this instance?  Where are you looking that is different from above?

MBSki

@ebr I know you're asking @paulschofield, but in my experience, yes, the episodes that were watched when disconnected from the network, show up as played in the Android app once connected back to the network. However, when going to a different device, the episodes do NOT show up as played which confirms that the played status didn't sync. The app knows the episode was played, but the server never gets the message.

When connected to the network there is no prompt to open the download folder. You can navigate to the show that was watched as a download and look at it's played status and it shows as played. My downloads are set to automatically download new episodes so the episodes that I watched are no longer on the device when I connect back to the network. So, I don't think there would be any confusion with the downloaded version, since the downloaded version is no longer there and the played status should have transferred to the server at the same time the episode downloads were updated.  

2 hours ago, MBSki said:

show up as played in the Android app once connected back to the network.

Hi.  Exactly where do they show as played?

2 hours ago, MBSki said:

However, when going to a different device, the episodes do NOT show up as played

Exactly which device, which app and what user is logged in?  Was this device already running the app or did you just start it up?

I guess, in short, we need to look at screen shots from a specific example to understand what is going on.  In my experience, the status is updated once the Android device re-connects to the server but there could be something going on that is interfering in your case, perhaps.

paulschofield
On 8/4/2022 at 2:27 PM, ebr said:

Hi.  So, is the Android device/app connected to your server again on the local network at this time?

What are you calling "the server" in this instance?  Where are you looking that is different from above?

Hi,
I play the episodes while I'm not connected to my server, but as mentioned in my original post the server will not recognise these episodes as being played even after my phone (which has played the downloads) has been connected to the same WiFi for several hours.

By server, I'm referring to my laptop which runs the Emby server app.

paulschofield
On 8/4/2022 at 6:24 PM, ebr said:

Hi.  Exactly where do they show as played?

Exactly which device, which app and what user is logged in?  Was this device already running the app or did you just start it up?

I guess, in short, we need to look at screen shots from a specific example to understand what is going on.  In my experience, the status is updated once the Android device re-connects to the server but there could be something going on that is interfering in your case, perhaps.

They show as played in the downloads section of the app on my phone. It's my phone I'm playing the episodes on. The episodes will still show as unplayed on my server (laptop) and also the Emby app on my iPad.
I'll get some screenshots the next time it happens, but I won't be away again for a few days so I'll put my phone on airplane mode while playing an episode.

2 hours ago, paulschofield said:

after my phone (which has played the downloads) has been connected to the same WiFi for several hours.

If you bring the app up on the phone at that time, does it log into your server or is it still sitting in the "Downloads" area?

paulschofield
On 8/11/2022 at 2:01 PM, ebr said:

If you bring the app up on the phone at that time, does it log into your server or is it still sitting in the "Downloads" area?

It logs straight into the server and shows the home screen 

On 8/12/2022 at 11:09 PM, paulschofield said:

It logs straight into the server and shows the home screen 

And the items are still not properly marked at that time?

paulschofield
19 hours ago, ebr said:

And the items are still not properly marked at that time?

No, even after a few hours.

Later today I'm going away again for a couple of days so I'll have plenty of chances to watch some downloads. I'll see what happens when I get back 

• 3 weeks later...
paulschofield

I didn't get the chance as soon as I thought, but I've just played some episodes away from the server in the last few days and they're all still showing as unplayed on the server. My phone (player) and laptop (server) have been on the same WiFi for about 3 days since

• 3 weeks later...
Happy2Play
30 minutes ago, Luke said:

@Happy2Play are you able to reproduce on iOS?

Downloads show as watched in Downloads but does not sync back to server to show those episodes as watched.

• Like 1

paulschofield
4 minutes ago, Luke said:

Tested both android and iOS, and it worked for me, but it's on the next background sync and not immediate.

Ok I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. Like I mentioned above there was one time when both my phone and laptop were on the same WiFi for 3 days, both switched on the whole time, and the played status didn't sync.

Thanks for getting back to me and I'll repost if it still happens

55 minutes ago, Luke said:

Tested both android and iOS, and it worked for me, but it's on the next background sync and not immediate.

What does "next background sync" mean?

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Don't know when it happened but yes the episodes are now marked as played.

• Thanks 1