New Emby Nvidia Shield server , stuttering on 4k movies issue.

Teleis

Teleis

I am in the process of upgrading the storage unit for my movies from a 2TB USB drive to a 8TB USB drive. So I decided to ditch Plex for Emby since it isn't full of useless bloat. I am currently running an Nvidia Shield Pro (2019) for the Server and the App. Basically the same set-up I was using for the Plex server. 

I started migrating the files off the 2TB to the 8TB creating new libraries, and setting up the metadata how I want it. I moved some 1080p x256 files into Emby, and they are working flawlessly. The problem occurs when I try to play the 2160p x256 files set up on the new drive.

From the Emby app on the shield the file takes a long time to startup, and will play for 10 to 15 minutes till it starts to stutter and buffer. Some times the movie will crash, and display and error about "too many errors".

I know the files are good, because I can play them off another player on the Shield with no issues, in addition too the fact they all worked previously on the Plex server. I've gone through all the settings, and cannot see anything that would cause this. On the Plex server I was able to use direct play and not transcode anything. I am assuming the issue has something to do with Transcoding. As only the Shield will be used for playback I think turning off Transcoding will solve the problem. Can anyone help me with the settings? I wasn't able to find any answers on the forum, and I apologize if this has been covered. 

ffmpeg-transcode-4c55f471-3bb0-41eb-a930-c7e7804da421_1.txt embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-81674d4a-76d1-4979-bc84-3a41b3487c6d_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-3840edf3-9e4d-4f17-8545-ea89a633200a_1.txt

HI there, please attach the complete log files rather than snippets. Thanks.

Teleis

Server files after Reboot

hardware_detection-63794027535.txt

embyserver-63794027519.txt

The files are still taking a while to start, but the seem to continue to play correctly  till either I fast forward or rewind.

Direct stream and Transcodes Logs

ffmpeg-transcode-b0efab61-6807-4c8a-881b-7ed92ab0d4ac_1.txtffmpeg-directstream-836a53b0-e75d-47f5-ac79-f4d0c41b02ef_1.txtffmpeg-transcode-d4f529bb-fbe6-46ba-9c2f-1294d9e1d0fa_1.txt

Hi.  It looks like it is falling back to transcoding due to some sort of error.

Can you please play that item for a few seconds and then follow the instructions to send a log from the app?

Also, can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

Teleis
On 7/22/2022 at 8:35 AM, ebr said:

Hi.  It looks like it is falling back to transcoding due to some sort of error.

Can you please play that item for a few seconds and then follow the instructions to send a log from the app?

I have sent the logs from the Shield app, but I have not sideloaded the android app yet.

I noticed on "Stats for Nerds" the file is Transcoding
However your comment sent me to this article: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44002058112-shield-tv-direct-file-access
On the Shield app the "Pass Direct Path" option is greyed out.

Which lead me to this article: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159320-optional-network-paths
However this really only explains if your server is a PC or NAS.

Can you lead me to some instructions on how to either enable the "Pass Direct Path" option enter proper syntax  for Shield ONP
I have tried to enter //EMBYSERVER/storage/01D89BE5FBB57960/Mounted/Movies
Does this only work if the USB drive is mounted as extended internal storage? Right now it is only mounted as removable storage.

14 hours ago, Teleis said:

I have sent the logs from the Shield app

Hi.  Can you please provide the information requested in the instructions?

14 hours ago, Teleis said:

However your comment sent me to this article: https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44002058112-shield-tv-direct-file-access
On the Shield app the "Pass Direct Path" option is greyed out.

As noted at the top of that article, that option is not available on Android 11+ but it also most likely will have no bearing on whatever your issue is since the item is transcoding.

Teleis
17 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Can you please provide the information requested in the instructions?

Attempting to playback the movie file "Rogue One - A Star Wars Story (2016) [BluRay HDR Tigole]" Playback crashed and went back to the movie home screen.
1:59am CST/2:59am EST 
Username on server: Teleis

Something is off with the path definitions because the player is trying to access an invalid location:

E EventLogger:   Caused by: ... java.net.ConnectException: Failed to connect to /192.168.1.196:8096

See that "/" in the address...?

Teleis

Where would it be pulling that data from? I can't seem to find anywhere in settings with that definition set.

Have you set an "Optional network path" on your libraries?

As a test, try turning on the option to use an external player, then turn OFF the option to pass the direct path, then turn the option to use an external player back off again.

• 1 month later...

I was out of town for a while, but I have returned to attempt to get this sever up and running:
I removed the Nvidia Shield app and have side loaded the android app as recommended here.

Also, can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

The android app seems to be working better, 1080p movies play correctly, but I am unable to watch any 4k movies (2160p, HDR, HEVC). I get this error. 
Any advice would be helpful. I was able to get the same movie to play in VLC which is installed on the Shield also. Secondary resolution would be to enable external players.
Thank you.

Screenshot_20220816-004930.png

On 8/30/2022 at 5:04 PM, Teleis said:

I was out of town for a while, but I have returned to attempt to get this sever up and running:
I removed the Nvidia Shield app and have side loaded the android app as recommended here.

The android app seems to be working better, 1080p movies play correctly, but I am unable to watch any 4k movies (2160p, HDR, HEVC). I get this error. 
Any advice would be helpful. I was able to get the same movie to play in VLC which is installed on the Shield also. Secondary resolution would be to enable external players.
Thank you.

Screenshot_20220816-004930.png

@Teleis

Hi, can you please try this version of the android app:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1obwrckg4lkjc8/emby-android-google-armeabi-v7a-release.apk?dl=0

And then provide a log from the app by following these instructions: 

Thanks !