Android TV subtitles not showing

Schelling
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Schelling

When I call the subtitles in .ass and .srt format when playing on emby on the TV side, I find that nothing is displayed and the subtitles disappear. The pgssub subtitles embedded in the video can be displayed normally and switched normally. This happens when my video is transcoded or not.The transcoded video will not display subtitles, and the non-transcoded video will directly display the first embedded subtitle.

Another problem is that when playing on my mobile phone, I also found a problem with the display of subtitles. My phone is Mi 11u, here I found a post to solve the problem that the video is displayed on the back, but there is another problem, my .ass and .srt subtitles will become very small in the middle of the screen. Occasionally I switch the resolution to normal, but this is not a stable method, and sometimes it doesn't work no matter how I switch.Finally, there are subtitle progress adjustments that seem to be ineffective.

The first picture is that the .ass subtitle is not displayed in the case of TV transcoding, and the second picture is that the subtitle displayed on the mobile phone is in the middle, and it is very small.

I'm guessing it's possible that the subtitles are also showing on the TV, but so small that we can't see them.

微信图片_20220721224307.jpg

微信图片_20220721224316.jpg

Schelling
15 minutes ago, Luke said:

您好,我们来看一个例子。请附上 如何报告媒体播放问题中要求的信息谢谢!

I don't know where to find the bug report for this issue, because it looks normal, but the TV doesn't have subtitles, the phone's subtitles are small and it does happen in the middle. The problem of this Xiaomi phone is also in the forum of the Android phone application, so it should not be an exception.

I don't know where to find the bug report for this problem, because it looks normal, but the TV has no subtitles, the phone subtitles are small and it does happen in the middle. The problem of this Xiaomi phone is also in the forum of the Android phone application, so it should not be an exception. But I tried my iPhone again and found that the subtitles are all working fine. Is this an Android phone problem or a Mi 11Ultra problem? I'll try it out on an Android phone someday. I feel that it may be a software adaptation problem of the Android system, because TVs and mobile phones are Android and cannot display subtitles.

On 2022/6/29 at AM10点52分, tkboy said:

小米11至尊纪念版有2个屏幕,主屏和靠近摄像头的后屏,在emby播放视频时,主屏黑屏但后屏亮着播放视频,而其他播放器如Plex或MXPlayer等。没有问题。

我该怎么办?请帮帮我!🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

谢谢您的支持!

IMG_20220629_104512.png.c3924cb89a982415531bf290f1999274.png

At the end of this thread there is a question about subtitles, but you didn't reply

Schelling
7 hours ago, ebr said:

Can you please play that item for a few seconds and then follow the instructions to send a log from the app?

I have this problem on the TV and I have clicked to send a report, I don't know where to find this report. Because my English is not very good, your instructions have confused me a bit after Google translated into Chinese

Schelling
7 hours ago, ebr said:

Can you please play that item for a few seconds and then follow the instructions to send a log from the app?

This is a log with small subtitles on the mobile phone and in the middle. There are two, and I don't know which one is, so I sent them both.

ffmpeg-transcode-1a8b8069-54b8-411b-84fa-25acc8acbcd9_1.txt embyserver.txt

11 hours ago, Schelling said:

At around 8:30 on July 21st, I sent the report on the TV side, using the account SonyTV。

Hi. I'm having trouble locating this.  Did you play the item, select the subtitles, observe the problem and then send the log directly from the playback OSD menu?

Schelling
18 hours ago, ebr said:

你好。我很难找到这个。您是否播放了该项目,选择了字幕,观察了问题,然后直接从播放 OSD 菜单发送了日志?

Yes, I can replay and resend at the exact time if needed. let me know if you need

By the way, I also posted the log of the mobile phone subtitle problem, can you find out anything?

7 hours ago, Schelling said:

Yes, I can replay and resend at the exact time if needed. let me know if you need

Yes, please do that.  Thanks.

Edrock200

Having the same issue with .ass subtitles not showing up on emby 4.7.5. if I untick "extract subs on the fly" in transcode settings, I get no compatible streams found. If I retick, it plays but no subs even when subs selected.

Edrock200

Nm. Figured it out. Had to change subtitle transparency setting from 100% to 50% and it showed up. Still not sure why extraction setting gave no compatible streams error though.

On 7/24/2022 at 1:40 PM, Edrock200 said:

Nm. Figured it out. Had to change subtitle transparency setting from 100% to 50% and it showed up. Still not sure why extraction setting gave no compatible streams error though.

Hi, most likely because in your environment the extraction wasn't quick enough and the player eventually gave up and raised an error. If you can provide a server log example then we can give a more detailed answer I'm sure. Thanks.

Edrock200

Good to know thank you. I'll try to reproduce this week and generate logs.

Edited by Edrock200
  • Thanks 1

Schelling
On 2022/7/23 at PM11点46分, ebr said:

是的,请这样做。谢谢。

At about 21:52:57 today I resent the log on tv, the subtitles in .srt format do not show anything.

The account I use is TV, and I watch The Matrix 4.

Because I am in China, the TV does not have Google, and my TV downloaded emby through emotn. I have an emby license, but when I click to unlock the app, it always shows billing service unavailable on device. I don't know if this has any effect.

• Solution
10 hours ago, Schelling said:

and my TV downloaded emby through emotn

Okay, so that is probably the basic issue.  You are on an old version of the app. You need to see if you can update to the latest one (2.0.77)

Schelling
On 2022/8/1 at PM10点35分, Luke said:

@谢林这有帮助吗?

It has been solved, but the subtitle problem of the mobile phone is still there.

The subtitles on the mobile phone are still very small, and there is a chance that it will be normal after switching the bit rate

Schelling
在 2022/7/30 PM9点57分,ebr 说道:

不错,这可能是基本问题。您使用的是旧版本的应用程序。您需要看看您是否可以更新到最新的(2.0.77)

Thanks for the help, it was solved after the version update

Edrock200
On 7/25/2022 at 10:18 PM, Luke said:

Hi, most likely because in your environment the extraction wasn't quick enough and the player eventually gave up and raised an error. If you can provide a server log example then we can give a more detailed answer I'm sure. Thanks.

Was going to do this this week but issue also resolved for me with latest point release. :) Nice work fellas!

ffwell

2.0.78: after the unsupported audio is converted to Dolby channel, the sound is normal, but the subtitles cannot be displayed, and SRT SSA PGs cannot be displayed. I'm going to cry.

Edited by ffwell

11 hours ago, ffwell said:

2.0.78: after the unsupported audio is converted to Dolby channel, the sound is normal, but the subtitles cannot be displayed, and SRT SSA PGs cannot be displayed. I'm going to cry.

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!