Just Wondering Why Emby TV App gets ignored? Other Apps Are Updated

NeverExists

rbjtech

Interesting - as I find the AndroidTV is always the first app to get the latest and greatest.

It was the first to get Dolby Vision, first to get Introskip Markers etc

What is the current AndroidTV/FireTV App missing (other than Video Backdrops) that the other clients have ?

It may be a case of the other apps being updated to catch up with Android TV - thus they are having more updates ... ;)

Edited by rbjtech

NeverExists
2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Interesting - as I find the AndroidTV is always the first app to get the latest and greatest.

It was the first to get Dolby Vision, first to get Introskip Markers etc

What is the current AndroidTV/FireTV App missing (other than Video Backdrops) that the other clients have ?

It may be a case of the other apps being updated to catch up with Android TV - thus they are having more updates ... ;)

More settings, more theme options and apparently better audio someone said

CBers
15 hours ago, NeverExists said:

More settings, more theme options and apparently better audio someone said

Definitely not better audio.

2 minutes ago, ffwell said:

Will the TV version be updated?

Hi, please create a feature request topic for the things you'd like to see added. Thanks !

ffwell
9 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, please create a feature request topic for the things you'd like to see added. Thanks !

Haha, I take it seriously when you say so. thank you

CBers
15 hours ago, Luke said:

@Luke Not sure which feature you're asking for a Feature Request to be raised for, but as you know, all issues with the standard Android app compared to the much better Android TV app are listed here:

Please review and update the standard Android app accordingly, otherwise you'll have a mutiny on your hands ,if the Android TV is pulled with no comparable app.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
tom.spinelli@gmail.com

I just wish the Android TV app was a little bit more modern looking like the regular Android app. It's very very old and outdated looking compared to Plex and Jellyfin. Looks old, layout looks old just outdated. I like the features it has and is still my favorite but it's just the interface is very early app looking. Any plans to make it more modern or customizable?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, tom.spinelli@gmail.com said:

I just wish the Android TV app was a little bit more modern looking like the regular Android app. It's very very old and outdated looking compared to Plex and Jellyfin. Looks old, layout looks old just outdated. I like the features it has and is still my favorite but it's just the interface is very early app looking. Any plans to make it more modern or customizable?

Hi, why not continue to use our standard Android app?

tom.spinelli@gmail.com

Do you mean the Android mobile app and install that on my Google TV? Like side load it? The only option in the play store on a Google TV is the Emby for Android. Maybe I'm not following. 

Edited by tom.spinelli@gmail.com

pwhodges

Yes, he means to sideload it.  The Android mobile app is currently being developed to take over the Android TV function as well (though many people are unhappy that they may lose the old interface...), and in due course will be added to the relevant Play Store.

Paul

tom.spinelli@gmail.com

I'll definitely give it a shot. The Android TV app is super fast and works great just very outdated looking. Thanks for the information I will give it a try. 

tom.spinelli@gmail.com

I'll definitely give it a shot. The Android TV app is super fast and works great just very outdated looking. Thanks for the information I will give it a try. 

Gave it a try and it works and looks great but makes me pay for it. 

rbjtech
10 hours ago, tom.spinelli@gmail.com said:

It will be interesting to hear your 1st time experiences.

AndroidTV is far slicker in terms of performance, user experience and ease of use - but visually it does not match the other Apps.    Whether that is a good thing is personal taste - I find the 'new' Apps ugly and they have no 'identity' because they are just copying Apple in 'er-herm' design ... :(

Recently - AndroidTV appears to be getting the first round of functional updates - which is very welcome.

Edited by rbjtech

tom.spinelli@gmail.com

It worked and I do like the interface a lot better. Few things it doesn't have like the show synopsis on the main screen. It doesn't feel as fast though. White bar over the highlights, maybe I'm just picky... I also have to pay monthly now. Which I feel like I unlocked it before but I don't have that option. Is it available to unlock? 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Luke said:

very very old and outdated looking compared to Plex and Jellyfin

Hi.  I'm glad you are happy with the standard app interface but I chuckle a bit since the TV app interface basically mimics Netflix and Amazon while the latter interface you mentioned is actually Emby's interface from 8 years ago...

• Like 1

tom.spinelli@gmail.com

Don't get me wrong, Emby is still my favorite media server. I've tried them all. Plex, Jellyfin, Kodi, etc. I'm back to the Emby For Android TV... Ha. 

I think there are pros and cons to both Emby apps and just wondering why there are 2.

The Android Mobile App is more modern looking. More options to scan library and edit, etc, but doesn't seem to be have the unlock or know you've paid to unlock it already. Subtitles seem to jutter the picture as well so I couldn't really use it since it would jutter anytime subtitles would pop on.  

Emby for Android TV has more options but is older looking to me.. big black bar on top, old looking fonts, can't update, edit tags and scan library, etc. 

Wish there was one app that had all the features and looked modern. Customizable themes and more options would be awesome.

Just thinking out loud as a wishlist and wondering why it hasn't been updated since 99% of users only know Emby for Android TV is the only way you can use it on a TV. 

5 minutes ago, tom.spinelli@gmail.com said:

Don't get me wrong, Emby is still my favorite media server. I've tried them all. Plex, Jellyfin, Kodi, etc. I'm back to the Emby For Android TV... Ha. 

I think there are pros and cons to both Emby apps and just wondering why there are 2.

The Android Mobile App is more modern looking. More options to scan library and edit, etc, but doesn't seem to be have the unlock or know you've paid to unlock it already. Subtitles seem to jutter the picture as well so I couldn't really use it since it would jutter anytime subtitles would pop on.  

Emby for Android TV has more options but is older looking to me.. big black bar on top, old looking fonts, can't update, edit tags and scan library, etc. 

Wish there was one app that had all the features and looked modern. Customizable themes and more options would be awesome.

Just thinking out loud as a wishlist and wondering why it hasn't been updated since 99% of users only know Emby for Android TV is the only way you can use it on a TV. 

We are working on unifying them, so while there are two today, that's not our long term plan.

arrbee99

People like different things. What some call simple / minimalist, others call dull / boring, for example.

IMHO the new app looks unfinished, but thats because it is. It has display bugs here and there, it has navigation bugs here and there. The old one looks better and navigates better to me.

If the new one really has to replace the old, I guess that'll be fine so long as it still gets refined (before and after its introduction), cause it needs it.

• Agree 3

arrbee99

Just wish there was something like css for Android, so we could add our own little embellishments...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, tom.spinelli@gmail.com said:

old looking fonts

Example?  The two apps use the same font file...

tom.spinelli@gmail.com
9 hours ago, ebr said:

Example?  The two apps use the same font file...

Maybe it's the just size then that makes it look old and outdated? I will say after testing both a lot this weekend. The Android TV app is way better. Although it looks older it performs much better. 

20230827_010646-COLLAGE.jpg

• Agree 2