Just Wondering Why Emby TV App gets ignored? Other Apps Are Updated

NeverExists

NeverExists

Just wondering why there is hardly any updates to The Emby Android TV App compared to other apps? I mean the emby app for android has been update 5 or 6 times since the last ATV app. Seems you guys don't really care much about it. We don't even have the theme updates yet.... I might have to switch to plex if I can get it to work properly. They have updates every 2 or 3 days and it's FREE! Im paying forb this app and it just gets neglected. Doesn't seem fair. I'm using it on my shield and there has been minimal updates while the other apps get updated compared to before, there used to be updates every few days.

Happy2Play

Devs or fellow Android user will have to comment more, but believe they are trying to unify the Android client.

NeverExists
5 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Devs or fellow Android user will have to comment more, but believe they are trying to unify the Android client.

Would have been nice to of had an email or something updating use on what is going on. Instead of leaving us in the dark... I'm also using the beta emby tv app So there should be a lot more frequent updates. Every day I check for an update just to find nothing.

Edited by NeverExists

The work never stops. We are constantly working on new and exciting things. I would also just be a little more patient this time of year as it's summer vacation season. Thanks.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NeverExists said:

I mean the emby app for android has been update 5 or 6 times since the last ATV app

Hi.  You can also side-load that app on your TV device.  We will hopefully have that available without side-loading soon.

NeverExists
6 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  You can also side-load that app on your TV device.  We will hopefully have that available without side-loading soon.

You mean side load the regular android app on my Nvidia Shield? Will it look weird? Or have the same interface?

19 minutes ago, NeverExists said:

You mean side load the regular android app on my Nvidia Shield? Will it look weird? Or have the same interface?

It is fully supported on TV devices so it will work well.

NeverExists
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Ok great I'll give it a try. Thanks guys!

CBers
32 minutes ago, NeverExists said:

Have a read through this thread as well. 

See if you have any comments or suggestions. 

FrostByte
24 minutes ago, NeverExists said:

Are you running Emby client on a Zidoo?  Just curious how well it runs if you are.  Researching getting one in addition to the Shield.

NeverExists
1 minute ago, FrostByte said:

Are you running Emby client on a Zidoo?  Just curious how well it runs if you are.  Researching getting one in addition to the Shield.

I have a Zidoo Z9X and it works fantastic by itself with It's Home Theater app, but it is not meant for emby. Honestly I find the shield is the best with Emby, but I use Emby exclusively for Anime because of the Shields AI upscaling. It makes anime look better then on any other device I've tried. I use my Zidoo Z9X for everything else like all my Dolby vision content, TV Shows and Movies. Dolby Vision support on the Z9X is miles ahead of any other Android box, cause it supports every Dolby Vision format. Even Dolby Vision Profile 8 Which is used when A Blu-ray release has no Dolby Vision, Instead they take the Dolby Vision RPU metadata from a Web release and add it to the 4k hdr Blu-ray release making Blu-ray quality with Dolby Vision.

• Thanks 2

NeverExists
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Do you have a link to the beta android app apk download?

jriker1

The Android App works way better than the Android TV app for content and subtitles and probably audio but display isn't great as menu items overlap on my Shield Pro anyway and any movement with the up/down/left/right arrows on the remote come thru as two clicks so double move.  Since most are struggling with the family factor, things need to be clean.

NeverExists
1 minute ago, jriker1 said:

The Android App works way better than the Android TV app for content and subtitles and probably audio but display isn't great as menu items overlap on my Shield Pro anyway and any movement with the up/down/left/right arrows on the remote come thru as two clicks so double move.  Since most are struggling with the family factor, things need to be clean.

I just tried it and it wasn't that great. Without enhanced home screen and no sound effects like in the android tv app it's too quiet.  Also the movement pressing the up and down buttons are messed up and jerky. Not smooth like the TV app. I'll give it another shot tomorrow maybe.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Spaceboy
8 hours ago, NeverExists said:

I just tried it and it wasn't that great. Without enhanced home screen and no sound effects like in the android tv app it's too quiet.  Also the movement pressing the up and down buttons are messed up and jerky. Not smooth like the TV app. I'll give it another shot tomorrow maybe.

pretty much summarises the feedback i meant to give a few months ago. nothing wrong with the goal of merging the 2 apps but the standard app is objectively bad for tv use at present

• Agree 2

Junglejim
49 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

pretty much summarises the feedback i meant to give a few months ago. nothing wrong with the goal of merging the 2 apps but the standard app is objectively bad for tv use at present

I agree, nothing wrong with trying to achieve this but it's not good for Android TV at present. Only time will tell, hopefully I will always be able to use the dedicated Android TV app if I dislike the merged version...

NeverExists
3 hours ago, Junglejim said:

I agree, nothing wrong with trying to achieve this but it's not good for Android TV at present. Only time will tell, hopefully I will always be able to use the dedicated Android TV app if I dislike the merged version...

I honestly don't see anything wrong with the TV app accept that it does not get updated with the features of the regular Android app. I especially like being able to access my server settings through the app.

FrostByte

Less work to maintain one app.  The AndroidTV app of course is designed for AndroidTV devices, while standard Android runs on all Android devices.  So it makes sense to incorporate differences to the standard app if that's the goal.

CBers
16 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

Less work to maintain one app.  The AndroidTV app of course is designed for AndroidTV devices, while standard Android runs on all Android devices.  So it makes sense to incorporate differences to the standard app if that's the goal.

Should bring @Redshirt back to work on it, so that they can be kept separate.

justinrh
8 hours ago, NeverExists said:

I especially like being able to access my server settings through the app.

Sorry that I'm a dunce - can you explain this?  What server settings and how do you access them?

NeverExists
24 minutes ago, justinrh said:

Sorry that I'm a dunce - can you explain this?  What server settings and how do you access them?

In the regular app for Android. When you go in settings there is a tab for the server settings.

justinrh

Oh, thanks, NeverExists, that just opened a can of worms!  A new place to originate questions and bug reports 😝

jriker1
11 hours ago, NeverExists said:

I honestly don't see anything wrong with the TV app accept that it does not get updated with the features of the regular Android app. I especially like being able to access my server settings through the app.

Try playing 4k HDR10 content with well not even sure the audio matters, but also with ASS subtitles.  Android TV app will lockup like no ones business if you try and jump around in the video.  Current fix is to sideload the Android app (non TV) and it plays and jumps around WAY better than anything the TV app does.  TV app will hang and after minutes switch to transcoding.  All kinds of threads about this but most don't notice it's transcoding after hanging.  Honestly Plex has the same issue, though they have a beta release that fixes this on their Android TV app.

Edited by jriker1