Remote connections with dynamic public IP

demhinds

demhinds

I recently changed internet providers (thank god) and have run into a curious issue. 

The new provider has a "public IP" address which changes on some random interval, therefor folks connecting remotely are having to reach out regularly to get the new IP address in order to connect. Is there a way to avoid this? I know that a user can use Emby Connect to connect regardless of the remote IP, however Emby Connect has never worked for my remote users, even though they are set up with it. 

I attempted to add the users' IP addresses to the list of "local networks" and provided them with my local IP address in an attempt to connect and they are unable. 

I realize this is an issue with my ISP/router, not Emby, but has anyone encountered a similar issue and found a way around it? 

Thank you 

Happy2Play

Emby Connect or your own DDNS.

5 minutes ago, demhinds said:

I attempted to add the users' IP addresses to the list of "local networks" and provided them with my local IP address in an attempt to connect and they are unable. 

This is only going to treat them as a Local user instead of Remote and run into the similar situation if their address changes and someone else gets their IP address.

Emby Connect automatically update your WAN address but do not know the exact interval.

• Thanks 1

syralk
12 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Emby Connect or your own DDNS.

This is only going to treat them as a Local user instead of Remote and run into the similar situation if their address changes and someone else gets their IP address.

Emby Connect automatically update your WAN address but do not know the exact interval.

You can use afraid DDNS 

• Thanks 1

rbjtech
14 hours ago, demhinds said:

I recently changed internet providers (thank god) and have run into a curious issue. 

The new provider has a "public IP" address which changes on some random interval, therefor folks connecting remotely are having to reach out regularly to get the new IP address in order to connect. Is there a way to avoid this? I know that a user can use Emby Connect to connect regardless of the remote IP, however Emby Connect has never worked for my remote users, even though they are set up with it. 

I realize this is an issue with my ISP/router, not Emby, but has anyone encountered a similar issue and found a way around it? 

Thank you 

As has been said above - DDNS is the answer - but the first port of call is to look in your router and see which DDNS services it 'supports'.

Something has to keep it updated - and while this can be done from any machine that is on the LAN (the emby server for example) it is usually better to let the router handle this - assuming it has the capability.

Then sign up to the supported DDNS provider (most are free for a single domain name) and then use that fqdn instead of the public IP address when connecting to emby.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Thanks 1

demhinds

@rbjtech

Thank you for that. I had completely forgot about this option, but I have set it up in the past for a similar issue. Thank you! 

Edited by demhinds
  • Like 1