TV Show Folder Structure

Stellarat
Go to solution Solved by Happy2Play,

Stellarat

Hi,

I've read that the folder structure for TV Shows should be \TV\<Name> (date)\<Season>\<Name> SxEy.mkv

How strict is this, and is there a way I can get   \TV\<Name> SxEy\<Name> SxEy.mkv to work instead?

Currently, in TV Shows, I see the image below, with each folder playable. 

I have "Automatically merge series that are spread across multiple folders" checked.

Emby episodes.png

Hello jasonbsteele,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

• Solution
Happy2Play
2 minutes ago, jasonbsteele said:

Hi,

I've read that the folder structure for TV Shows should be \TV\<Name> (date)\<Season>\<Name> SxEy.mkv

How strict is this, and is there a way I can get   \TV\<Name> SxEy\<Name> SxEy.mkv to work instead?

Currently, in TV Shows, I see the image below, with each folder playable. 

I have "Automatically merge series that are spread across multiple folders" checked.

Emby episodes.png

Sorry you currently have to have a Series parent folder for each Show at a minumum.

Stellarat
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

Sorry you currently have to have a Series parent folder for each Show at a minumum.

Many thanks for the speedy reply

pwhodges

If you have a series folder, the season folders can be optional so long as the episodes are unambiguously named.  If they are omitted, there may be a delay before the seasons show on the main series page after scanning (it won't be too long, though).

However, if you are using a Mixed Content library (i.e. both series and movies) then the season folders are  likely to be necessary to prevent Emby being confused between series and movies.

Paul

• Agree 1

Stellarat
16 hours ago, pwhodges said:

If you have a series folder, the season folders can be optional so long as the episodes are unambiguously named.  If they are omitted, there may be a delay before the seasons show on the main series page after scanning (it won't be too long, though).

However, if you are using a Mixed Content library (i.e. both series and movies) then the season folders are  likely to be necessary to prevent Emby being confused between series and movies.

Paul

Ah, thanks Paul, that's good to know.

So if I have a folder for each show (e.g. "\TV Shows\The Mandalorian|") and then a folder for each episode with a video file in it with something like "S01E01" and "S02E02" in their names, it would create two virtual Series in Emby?

pwhodges

I didn't realise quite what you meant (reading too fast last at night).

You don't put episodes in separate folders - Emby hates that, as I recall.  You can either put the episode files directly in the series folder (if they're unambiguously named, and the series isn't in a mixed content library), or preferably in a folder for each season (called season nn) within the series folder - but no folders with SnnEnn in the name, please.  I suppose you might end up with every episode displayed as a separate season that way, but I haven't tried it.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges

Stellarat
1 hour ago, pwhodges said:

I didn't realise quite what you meant (reading too fast last at night).

You don't put episodes in separate folders - Emby hates that, as I recall.  You can either put the episode files directly in the series folder (if they're unambiguously named, and the series isn't in a mixed content library), or preferably in a folder for each season (called season nn) within the series folder - but no folders with SnnEnn in the name, please.  I suppose you might end up with every episode displayed as a separate season that way, but I haven't tried it.

Paul

Ah, ok, thanks for getting back to me.

And I take it that there isn't a plugin which can just can over folders and update Emby's database with a "logical" folder hierarchy rather than "physical" folders ?

pwhodges

No plugin as far as I know.  I think people typically use FileBot to rename and arrange their files appropriately - but I've no experience of it, as I have always done it manually (using a bulk file renamer).

Paul

Stellarat
Just now, pwhodges said:

No plugin as far as I know.  I think people typically use FileBot to rename and arrange their files appropriately - but I've no experience of it, as I have always done it manually (using a bulk file renamer).

Paul

Haha, cheers - just trying to get my head around FileBot now!