Question About Guide Size

all4dom

all4dom

Has anything been done to change the guide size yet? It needs to be larger then what it is. Not sure of possible but maybe have more then 1 size so people could select what they want.

Gilgamesh_48
2 hours ago, all4dom said:

Has anything been done to change the guide size yet? It needs to be larger then what it is. Not sure of possible but maybe have more then 1 size so people could select what they want.

I am an old guy with declining eyesight and I find the guide plenty "big" and pretty easy to read.
If it was bigger there would be less info on the screen and therefore it would be harder to choose shows.

I do understand that "bigger" is often seen as "better" but I do not think it would be in this case. Besides everyone knows that "size does not matter." ;) :D

If Emby were to choose to provide an adjustable guide size I would not object, unless it adversely effected performance.
I just do not see enough advantage to warrant the time and effort that providing this would entail.
There are a rather large number of "features" that are more needed than this.

Emby's resources are limited so they need to prioritize carefully and this should be quite low on the list.

• Agree 1

demhinds

The only issue I have always and continue to have with the guide is the poor resolution quality of the logo images. I design my own and they look beautiful on my android and on pc, but just awful on roku, they are barely legible. Is that what you're referring to @all4dom

all4dom

, @ebr too many channel listings.are crammed in there. I spoke to you before about this & i know it was changed some time ago but maybe having the option to select a small or large size could be added. That might be the best compromise for everyone. Now if I could be honest, I would love to see the roku emby u.i. look like the fire tv version but I know that's never gonna happened.  

Gilgamesh_48
2 hours ago, all4dom said:

Now if I could be honest, I would love to see the roku emby u.i. look like the fire tv version but I know that's never gonna happened.  

I "think" that might be the first time I have ever heard anyone praise the Fire TV interface for anything.

The differences in the way different devices behave and interact is exactly what "should" be. In fact I think the attempt by Emby to make all devices look and feel pretty much the same is misguided.
I believe every device should be allowed to be developed to its full potential. That is device A should not be limited because device B can't do something.
But Emby does not agree and it is Emby that owns the app and therefore they can do whatever they want.

all4dom

Imho...IMHO.... i lobe the fire tv u.i. I remember back in the days when there were many different themes but those days are over. So if I had to pick.... make them all like the Amazon u.i. 

The roku version of emby needs some serious loving right now because it went from working correctly with almost no issues to having many issues. I hope these things can be corrected soon.

The roku app and the fire app are actually extremely similar now. Can you give some specific examples of what you mean?

40 minutes ago, all4dom said:

The roku version of emby needs some serious loving right now because it went from working correctly with almost no issues to having many issues. I hope these things can be corrected soon.

What are the "many issues"?

Thanks

demhinds
49 minutes ago, all4dom said:

Imho...IMHO.... i lobe the fire tv u.i. I remember back in the days when there were many different themes but those days are over. So if I had to pick.... make them all like the Amazon u.i. 

I had some issues with the latest beta, but have rolled back to the official release and all seems well. I've found that most of the time when I think there's an issue with the app, it is actually an issue with how I've set something up, or a limitation of my internet/device capabilities. 

34 minutes ago, demhinds said:

I had some issues with the latest beta,

Hi.  What issues were those?  We cannot fix them if we don't know about them :).

all4dom

@ebr I posted this not to long ago. After a server update, I started getting a buffer issue, which I never had before. Also I would be watching something & it just exited back to the guide & it wasn't where it thought I was.no longer watching. There was a issue I don't remember but u fixed & then the guide being torn small.

all4dom

Oh, also everything I started a channel, it was always playing in closed caption mode & I don't use cc mode so.not sure why that is always happening.

demhinds
3 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  What issues were those?  We cannot fix them if we don't know about them :).

Issue with new content not loading. I was running Emby Beta but because of Roku's change I have not been running beta on those devices for some time, so I needed to roll back to stable anyway as I am not able to provide proper feedback and can't commit to being as on top of feedback as I'm sure you'd like beta testers to be. The good news is that the stable release is very stable 🙂

demhinds
11 minutes ago, all4dom said:

Oh, also everything I started a channel, it was always playing in closed caption mode & I don't use cc mode so.not sure why that is always happening.

Go into the 'Accessibility' settings on your Roku device and make sure your captions aren't set to 'always on' - I had a similar issue and assumed it was Emby, but it was actually the Roku setting itself. 

14 hours ago, all4dom said:

I did that.

Does that mean you had that option turned on?

all4dom

No cc. I believe I w a s going going through server settings but don't remember finding a cc setting. Funny thing is one of the server updates changed my channel lineup order that I created. Still have to correct that. I'll check again when I get home. Just an fyi I have never used cc on emby for tv or any media I have stored so I my know I never set it to on.

Closed Captions are handled like just another subtitle now in Emby.  So, if you have your subtitle defaults set to show subs, CC will get turned on too.

all4dom

@ebr, subtitle mode would be "no subtitles"... correct. There is nothing saying "no subs" & my server setting for subtitles is default.

18 minutes ago, all4dom said:

my server setting for subtitles is default

Try changing that to "Smart".

all4dom

@ebr that didn't help trick, thanks. Question.... should I enable "allow direct streaming of live streams"? I have no selected. My device is a roku ultra & non smart TV. 

17 hours ago, all4dom said:

that didn't help trick

It did or did not help?

17 hours ago, all4dom said:

should I enable "allow direct streaming of live streams"?

You can try it and, if you don't have any issues it may make channel start up a bit faster.