Buy snology

anonyms

anonyms
11 minutes ago, anonyms said:

I'm planning to buy snology, any suggestions which is best model for emby server and transcoding 

@Luke

FrostByte

If you're going to transcode make sure you get something with an Intel and gpu so that you can use vaapi

FrostByte

However, the two 2022 models out so far both have Ryzen cpus which you won't want if you do a lot of transcoding.

They typically renew models every 2 years (DS918+, DS920+, etc).  It's possible there will be a DS922+, but I haven't seen anything about it yet.

heffeque

Covid and chip shortage changed a lot of plans.

If anything, there might be a 923+, but who knows if it will have a GPU or not.

Personally I have a 2nd hand 918+ and it's working great (with R/W SSD cache and more RAM, which help a lot).

• Like 1

Audiomixer

I have both the 918+ and the 920+ going in two locations. Both solid units. Would not hesitate to buy the 920+ again.

• Like 1

DonMacaroni

Why worry, I bought “old” 1520+ lately, because it still has GPU to swap out my DS1019+

If 920+ does everything you need, I would not worry much about getting “latest and greatest”. Get the tool, what does best what you need and be happy with your choice… :)

Edited by DonMacaroni

• 2 weeks later...
mike3821

How many transcode connections can you have?

I'm debating on moving this over from my ESXI host so I can stop getting complaints when I reboot my server.

I have around 20+ people, but only ever see 3-6 concurrent connections.

Edited by mike3821

DonMacaroni

I have a small family, 2-3 seems to be fine on DS1520+, never needed more than that so I cannot say what would be the max. But judging the CPU load, I would say not much over 4…when using HW transcoding. Software transcoding is out of the question, not enough CPU power,

It really depends on source material, it’s codec, resolution, is tonemapping needed, etc. Also what resolution you want to encode to, for example it really struggles with single 4K HEVC with tonemapping to 4K AVC, at the same time 4K HEVC with tonemapping to 15Mbps 1080p AVC it can do 3 streams in parallel without an issue.

Edited by DonMacaroni

heffeque
53 minutes ago, DonMacaroni said:

I have a small family, 2-3 seems to be fine on DS1520+, never needed more than that so I cannot say what would be the max. But judging the CPU load, I would say not much over 4…when using HW transcoding. Software transcoding is out of the question, not enough CPU power,

It really depends on source material, it’s codec, resolution, is tonemapping needed, etc. Also what resolution you want to encode to, for example it really struggles with single 4K HEVC with tonemapping to 4K AVC, at the same time 4K HEVC with tonemapping to 15Mbps 1080p AVC it can do 3 streams in parallel without an issue.

Personally... 99% of times I'm doing DirectPlay. Be it PC, be it tablet, be it TV... Not sure how people manage to need transcoding (HW or SW).

unisoft
On 22/07/2022 at 19:42, DonMacaroni said:

Why worry, I bought “old” 1520+ lately, because it still has GPU to swap out my DS1019+

If 920+ does everything you need, I would not worry much about getting “latest and greatest”. Get the tool, what does best what you need and be happy with your choice… :)

Getting the latest models ensures a longer support lifecycle for security updates. Buying a model that will soon be end of sale means less years of functional and security updates in the future as the clock was ticking on the lifecycle from initial release of that model. I've found that QNAP and Synology typically have around 10 years of security updates (some of those years include free major updates and the latter years are discretional security updates if deemed important enough by them).

Spaceboy

as long as you're not exposing your NAS to external access from the internet then i wouldnt worry too much about that. my ds3612xs has just hit the 10 year mark and despite not getting dsm 7 is still rocking along nicely just providing file server storage - 220Tb of storage

heffeque
1 hour ago, Spaceboy said:

as long as you're not exposing your NAS to external access from the internet then i wouldnt worry too much about that. my ds3612xs has just hit the 10 year mark and despite not getting dsm 7 is still rocking along nicely just providing file server storage - 220Tb of storage

Having external access to Emby is something that a lot of us actually want and use, so... I guess sometimes it's a bit inevitable.

5 minutes ago, heffeque said:

Having external access to Emby is something that a lot of us actually want and use, so... I guess sometimes it's a bit inevitable.

I have external users accessing via VPN directly to my NAS, they then use emby using the local IP. So depends on clients, but just showing there is no need to have the whole NAS accessible or even Emby port

heffeque

I understand that there are different possibilites, though it's not possible to configure VPNs on most TVs (if any), etc. It's not always an option.

Spaceboy

well i definitely wouldnt try running emby on a synology thats older than a couple of years. it'll be quite a poor experience all round

2 minutes ago, Spaceboy said:

well i definitely wouldnt try running emby on a synology thats older than a couple of years. it'll be quite a poor experience all round

I don't think that's true. We have some older models on hand for testing and it runs quite well. You just have to be aware of what it can handle and try and avoid transcoding that it might not be suited for.

heffeque

Yup. As commented before, my DS918+ runs Emby on DSM 7.1 very well (interface and videos), so I'm quite happy!

Edit: if it helps, (adding to the R/W SSD cache and more RAM already mentioned) I additionally set the database to 1024 and its yet a bit snappier.

Edited by heffeque

Spaceboy
3 hours ago, Luke said:

I don't think that's true. We have some older models on hand for testing and it runs quite well. You just have to be aware of what it can handle and try and avoid transcoding that it might not be suited for.

well its my experience :D

heffeque

Your experience is with a 10 year old Synology. Rest assured that if it has a fairly recent version of QuickSync and you stick to media that is supported by it (here), even transcoding should be a fairly good experience.

Edit: also, I see that your Synology has no support for SSD cache, which helps quite a bit with the interface, though you could try the "1024" database config. That might help you getting a better experience.

Edited by heffeque

Spaceboy
10 minutes ago, heffeque said:

Your experience is with a 10 year old Synology. Rest assured that if it has a fairly recent version of QuickSync and you stick to media that is supported by it ( here ), even transcoding should be a fairly good experience.

Edit: also, I see that your Synology has no support for SSD cache, which helps quite a bit with the interface.

i've got two. but thanks for your interest

unisoft
10 hours ago, heffeque said:

Your experience is with a 10 year old Synology. Rest assured that if it has a fairly recent version of QuickSync and you stick to media that is supported by it (here), even transcoding should be a fairly good experience.

Edit: also, I see that your Synology has no support for SSD cache, which helps quite a bit with the interface, though you could try the "1024" database config. That might help you getting a better experience.

I wouldn't recommend over 512 on older Synology devices as found this caused home screen delay. I had added more memory to mine. I have a 12 bay DS2415+. About 6 years old. That's what I found when I was testing the ideal setting out...Could be different on different models.