Require Password on Local Network

sundevil67

sundevil67

Anyone else dealing with this? Even though I have the setting selected to prevent this, I am getting prompted for a password whenever I login. Seems to have started with the most recent version 4.7.1 (using High Sierra so still waiting for 4.7.5.0). While it affects all of my devices, it's become a giant pain on my main TV to type out my password with my remote. Is this a known issue that I can expect to be resolved or do I need to investigate further? I was affected by a similar bug a long time ago but it eventually resolved itself.

Hi, most likely this is due to your network configuration causing Emby Server to think the connections are remote connections. Are you using a vpn? Have you customized any emby server network settings?

sundevil67
12 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, most likely this is due to your network configuration causing Emby Server to think the connections are remote connections. Are you using a vpn? Have you customized any emby server network settings?

Nah, no network settings have changed, and I use a vpn once in a while, but not during any of this stuff. I changed my password (though my old one worked when I was prompted), and now it only seems to be happening on my Fire TV device. I don't think that's it though... I wonder if the Android app hasn't yet got the word that I updated the server app version on Mac Os....

Anytime you change your password then on a one-time basis you'll have to sign into all apps again.

sundevil67

Ive signed in again and again, but still get prompted … only on Amazon Fire TV though; browser access & iOS apps are fine. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
sundevil67

Unfortunately this issue continues to drive me crazy .. dunno why it’s back, but after spending several weeks away and not using it from my home TV,  it’s now presenting all of my users, some without a password at all, but my own profile shows the lock symbol despite having the ‘prompt for password’ option unchecked (even tried enabling & disabling). I had to simplify my password so re-entering it constantly from the TV remote won’t be quite as annoying.  

sundevil67

Is there any way to refresh my app on the Fire TV so I know the latest update I made to the Mac OS server version is connected here? The Amazon Fire TV is the only device out of several that is having these issues ....also accompanied by others - I give up & just watch something outside of Emby about half the time instead of restarting the app & TV over and over hoping it'll work...though the repeated password entry requirement makes the troubleshooting that much more frustrating. @ebr

sundevil67
On 9/8/2022 at 1:55 PM, Luke said:

Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the Fire TV and let us know how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

The Fire TV is always the most problematic version of the app I use, but these kinds of issues usually resolve themselves after a while. This one just happens to be the most irritating. For example, when I accidentally hit the "Prime" button, I then have to enter my password before I can get back to what I was watching on Emby.  

Admittedly I have no idea how to do that, but if it doesn't resolve soon, I'll surely have to figure it out & give it a whirl. Thanks.

• 7 months later...
sundevil67

I'm struggling with this problem again.. I can't say for sure if there was anything useful about activities that preceded its return, because I don't remember them, but it's been going on a while. I changed my password to something easier to enter, and have been waiting for it to magically go away like it has before... but it's hanging around longer than usual & affects only my main TV, a Toshiba/Amazon Fire model (iOS & Android devices are fine). Any other ideas that might be worth trying? I know the version of Emby Server for MacOS isn't really the one that gets the most attention, but maybe there's an update coming soon that has a shot at fixing this?

Thanks.

5 hours ago, sundevil67 said:

I'm struggling with this problem again.. I can't say for sure if there was anything useful about activities that preceded its return, because I don't remember them, but it's been going on a while. I changed my password to something easier to enter, and have been waiting for it to magically go away like it has before... but it's hanging around longer than usual & affects only my main TV, a Toshiba/Amazon Fire model (iOS & Android devices are fine). Any other ideas that might be worth trying? I know the version of Emby Server for MacOS isn't really the one that gets the most attention, but maybe there's an update coming soon that has a shot at fixing this?

Thanks.

Hi, for exactly to magically go away?

sundevil67

The problem just resolved itself in the past, and after a while it would stop prompting me for the password. I haven't been so lucky this time around. I think it started around the time of the last update.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2023 at 5:59 PM, sundevil67 said:

The problem just resolved itself in the past, and after a while it would stop prompting me for the password. I haven't been so lucky this time around. I think it started around the time of the last update.

How have you configured Emby Server network settings?

sundevil67
9 hours ago, Luke said:

How have you configured Emby Server network settings?

Yeah; it's clearly marked to allow entry without a password, yet it still does require it...only on my Fire TV.

9 hours ago, sundevil67 said:

Yeah; it's clearly marked to allow entry without a password, yet it still does require it...only on my Fire TV.

What settings have you configured exactly in emby server network settings?

sundevil67
1 hour ago, Luke said:

What settings have you configured exactly in emby server network settings?

Now it's happening on my Mac as well (not the machine running Emby server)

local_access.jpg

network2.jpg

Well you customized the LAN Networks setting, which means the ip address of the client devices has to exactly match one of those two or the server will think it's a remote connection.

Why did you do that?

sundevil67
19 hours ago, Luke said:

Well you customized the LAN Networks setting, which means the ip address of the client devices has to exactly match one of those two or the server will think it's a remote connection.

Why did you do that?

I don't remember; probably to get the remote connection to work.. but it's hard to point to that as a cause if it gets resolved when the software is updated & doesn't happen on any other devices. I'd live with the password entry rather than start monkeying around with that again.

3 hours ago, sundevil67 said:

I don't remember; probably to get the remote connection to work.. but it's hard to point to that as a cause if it gets resolved when the software is updated & doesn't happen on any other devices. I'd live with the password entry rather than start monkeying around with that again.

I think it explains it perfectly. It's in the help text. Any ip address that doesn't match one of those two will be considered to be a remote connection, and therefore the "require password on local network" option does not apply to them.

Additionally, the LAN networks setting will have no effect on whether you can remote connect or not. I would suggest blanking it out and clicking save.

• Agree 1

sundevil67

In that case, I suppose I just don't get why it works sometimes, other times it doesn't, then it goes away, works on all other devices. Not a network administrator. The hardware has aged out anyway, so I think I just have to forget about using Emby on the TV until I can get a new mac mini to be the media server. More often than not I have to restart the app 3-4 times before it'll work, and even when it does it's so slow that I choose another app 75% of the time anyway.

In that case, I suppose I just don't get why it works sometimes, other times it doesn't, then it goes away, works on all other devices.

If you can show us specific examples of each then we should be able to answer that.