Emby ATV app thinks it is remote viewing on LAN

tmedia

tmedia

Hi,

This problem started happening a while back but I thought at the time it was just a little glitch. Well, now it happens multiple times per day. All apps are on the current latest revisions.

The problem:

My ATV is on LAN network (wired) 192.168.1.0/24 and my Emby server (Unraid Docker LSIO) is on VLAN network 192.168.20.0/24. Communication is allowed between these two networks and works for all the devices on each network without issue. I also have the relevant networks in the servers LAN networks settings.

My main account is set to not show up when remote viewing and that is how we know the ATV thinks it's connecting remotely. You switch users and my main account doesn't show up. We can still stream everything but it is being routed through WAN instead of staying on the local network.

Usually a restart of the ATV resolves the issue but sometimes it does not work. Last night it would not work but Infuse did work properly and then randomly the Emby app started functioning again after a while when we checked.

I'm not sure what to check but it seems like the Emby app is having some kind of issue on the ATV, especially because Infuse works flawlessly.

I'm happy to post diagnostics if they are needed but I'm not sure if I can get them from the ATV?

Thank you guys!

but it is being routed through WAN instead of staying on the local network.

Hi, that doesn't necessarily mean that requests are being routed through the WAN. It just means that based on your configuration, the server thinks the device is remote.

tmedia
35 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, that doesn't necessarily mean that requests are being routed through the WAN. It just means that based on your configuration, the server thinks the device is remote.

Unfortunately, in this case I really think it is. If I check the server management page it shows the device as streaming from my WAN IP. I also end up with buffering, which pretty much never happens on LAN streaming.

I think my configuration is good. This issue started recently and rebooting the ATV usually corrects the issue but not always. Sometimes it takes it a while to resolve on its own like it as I described in my original post. On this ATV I don't even have the remote viewing domain entered, just the local IP.

Edited by tmedia
more info

Unfortunately, in this case I really think it is. If I check the server management page it shows the device as streaming from my WAN IP

Hi, where are you referring to? We don't show anything to indicate if a connection is remote or from the lan. We only show the IP of the client device.

tmedia
46 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, where are you referring to? We don't show anything to indicate if a connection is remote or from the lan. We only show the IP of the client device.

Just in servers admin page where it shows active streaming devices. It shows me each client IP that's connected and streaming.

When this happens I can see that my ATV is connected via my WAN IP address and streaming is affected. I'm pretty certain it's being routed through my WAN because I start getting buffering issues on low bit rate things like 8mbps bitrates which never buffer locally. 

If I then connect with a different app, Infuse in this case, everything works properly and my ATV LAN IP shows on the servers admin active streams section.

Apologies if I am not conveying the issue very well. It's very strange and has only been happening for about a month or so that I can remember. It's not a mission critical error but it is frustrating always having to reboot the ATV to make things work properly on the Emby app.

• 2 weeks later...
tmedia

@Luke  I am attaching yesterdays server log. embyserver-63794822400.txt

I really don't think it's a server error. We have four same-gen Apple TV devices on LAN using this server. Only one of them has this strange issue.

Last night the Emby app wouldn't load anything on the troublesome device. Once we fired up the Infuse app everything worked flawlessly.

As I mentioned previously, my main admin account is set to not show up on the user section when remotely logging in. When the ATV is having this issue my admin account no longer shows on the switch user screen, which leads me to believe the Emby app thinks it is no longer on the LAN.

Sometimes we discover the issue is happening because we will finish watching a show and then the app just shows the loading screen and won't load the interface anymore.

I have already swapped out the Ethernet cable to make sure that wasn't the issue but I guess I can also delete and re-download the app to try and fix it if you think that is something I should try. Thank you!

• 2 months later...

@Luke This and the glitchy nature of the app UI (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/112434-fast-scroll-stops-working-weird-back-button-behavior/) with tvos 16 became such an issue that we mostly don't use the app anymore. I can try to see if it comes back up though if you guys included some kind of fix in 4.7.8?

Edited by tmedia

On 10/8/2022 at 3:14 PM, tmedia said:

@Luke This and the glitchy nature of the app UI (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/112434-fast-scroll-stops-working-weird-back-button-behavior/) with tvos 16 became such an issue that we mostly don't use the app anymore. I can try to see if it comes back up though if you guys included some kind of fix in 4.7.8?

@tmedia we've resolved the back button problem and will be submitting an update to apple to resolve it. Thanks.

• Like 1