Few questions about Emby Portable

ManuJapan89

ManuJapan89

Hi,

i just see that you have a portable version of Emby, i have few questions if i can ask:

emby portable can be download and placed on an external hdd? library will point to other external drives too

placing emby portable on an external drive, wil not use OS disk at all?nothing? if so, would be amazing 

another question, how do i update portable version?

the emby server will be a mini pc i5 8th gen.

because it also run a plex server i want to minimize the stress on ssd nvme (disk c)

Thanks for any reply :)

GrimReaper
1 hour ago, ManuJapan89 said:

emby portable can be download and placed on an external hdd?

It can be placed anywhere, including external HDD; note that you'll take quite a performance hit in that scenario.

placing emby portable on an external drive, wil not use OS disk at all?nothing?

If you keep default folder paths (cache, transcoding, metadata...), nope. Again, read previous comment. 

how do i update portable version?

Same as you would any other version. 

GrimReaper
18 minutes ago, ManuJapan89 said:

i suppose about disk read/write speed isn't?

Yup; I reckon it'd be considerable impact, especially when browsing/loading graphics and accessing db.

On the other hand, that's a subjective matter, you might be more tolerant towards that, DL portable and give it a spin, see how will it feel, maybe it'd work for you. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by GrimReaper

richt

Just wondering why you want it on an external drive.  If it is because of the image cache, transcoding, and recording folders; you can specify alternate locations for them through the "Settings" functions in the UI.  This will leave the program files on your system drive while moving those other elements to a location of your choice.  Note that moving them to a USB drive would still incur the performance hit @GrimReaper spoke about while accessing the associated files.  While this doesn't totally restrict system drive usage by Emby, it will reduce it considerably.

ManuJapan89

ok understood :) i'll face performance hit even if i use an SSD usb 3.0 drive? just curiosity

richt

From a technical perspective, there is always a performance hit when compared to an internal drive.  You can do a web search and find all kinds of articles on that.  A lot will depend on your usage.  If you intend on serving video files from the USB drive to just one client at at time, you may not notice, but if you're looking to serve several video files to clients simultaneously while recording to the USB, you will encounter latency and performance issues.

In my own system, I have an external RAID cabinet (not SSD) that can attach by USB 3.0 or eSata.  On USB it was able to serve one or 2 clients fairly well.  The biggest difference I noticed was in copying files from other internal drives to it as USB 3.0 was excruciatingly slow on writes compared to eSata.   I never tried recording directly to it as a USB drive so I can't comment on it as a solution.

I also recently experimented with recording directly to one of my NAS devices and found that that worked quite well. 

Edited by richt

ManuJapan89

i have only 2 users including myself :D

this is my current situation explained

the machine itself is a mini pc 

a sei8 from beelink i5 8gen 16 GB of RAM, actually ram availabe 50%

image.thumb.png.88e94a0d59df7abb45f214813ccdf5aa.png

image.thumb.png.1ff33fe0bd9e6872cc47baa18281cf57.png

simage.thumb.png.728f1302f00799e59020e685beb8103f.png

Happy2Play

Biggest issues with external drives are ensuring drive letters never change.

caffeineshock

usb introduces a huge overhead. it does not matter if its usb 2 3 or 4. yes the max transfarerate will increase but its only for sequential reads and writes. as soon as you run a database or you get random io because you try to serve multiple clients you MIGHT run into a bottleneck because of the protocoll overhead which adds up the more random io you generate.