huge anime library reccomended setup

ManuJapan89

ManuJapan89

Hi,

i've a huge anime library,40k episodes,1482 series

all renamed with filebot. This huge library is splitted on 4 external drives. maybe the 1st season is in a drive and the 2nd in another

on Plex i use Plex Tv series agent and all is fine. the naming convention follow thetvdb

Could you please tell me how to properly configure a library like this in emby, for less effort? do i need anime plugin?

image.thumb.png.eb8c63dd629da0a2b39d8dc63380c965.png

as you can see i don't have a unique folder naming standard, sometime i use english title, sometime japanese romanized

but inside the folder the filename is correct

image.thumb.png.5bcd049f0bf15a5f819263808e0535a4.png

usually i don't follow this behaviour

\\hdd_drive\emby\anime\show\season(s) but i use \\hdd_drive\emby\anime\show season 1\ and \\hdd_drive\emby\anime\show season 2\

in a situation like the above described, which is the best settings?

i don't want, for any reason, touch the filesystem folder structure. i have 11 TB of data

any help would be appreciated

Thanks

GrimReaper
26 minutes ago, ManuJapan89 said:

the naming convention follow thetvdb

do i need anime plugin?

Nope. 

usually i don't follow this behaviour

\\hdd_drive\emby\anime\show\season(s) but i use \\hdd_drive\emby\anime\show season 1\ and \\hdd_drive\emby\anime\show season 2\

I'm confused as your screenshot shows equivalent of:

\\hdd_drive\emby\anime\show\

which is actually Emby-recommended folder structure, where each show gets own folder under parent 'anime' folder (though season subfolders underneath it would be advisable, as well, but are not mandatory). 

I'm sure our resident anime guru @pwhodges wil have some tips & tricks as well. 

Edited by GrimReaper

ManuJapan89

when emby added inuyasha, which has all 7 season in one folder, like this:

so there is 

image.thumb.png.5f68e95f8b1be12282cf1d9997e49c74.png

image.thumb.png.26730dba4310f2c1570c4faa06679c05.png

on emby i see only inuyasha, with poster, plot, cast, i can play 1st episodes but i cannot see any seasons. is it normal? same as inuyasha i have onepiece... 21 season all file in one folder, naming convention always thetvdb

basically a situation like this one: 

also. i have a separate anime movie library that has been named using anidb(i was using hamatv plugin in the past with plex and was working fine) is there a way to use anidb as 1st metadata scrapper for movie library?

GrimReaper
14 minutes ago, ManuJapan89 said:

so there is 

image.thumb.png.5f68e95f8b1be12282cf1d9997e49c74.png

image.thumb.png.26730dba4310f2c1570c4faa06679c05.png

on emby i see only inuyasha, with poster, plot, cast, i can play 1st episodes but i cannot see any seasons. is it normal?

It is not, however they have likely been multi-versioned as your naming convention unfortunately follows Emby's multi-version convention, if you look at that Ep.1 detail screen, you'll see a Version dropdown (in front of Video/Audio/Sub dropdowns) where all your episodes will be listed. Season subfolders would be recommended in such case or parser logic improved. 

14 minutes ago, ManuJapan89 said:

also. i have a separate anime movie library that has been named using anidb(i was using hamatv plugin in the past with plex and was working fine) is there a way to use anidb as 1st metadata scrapper for movie library?

Then you'd need Anime plugin and set Anidb as topmost meta-scraper in library settings - but from various topics around the forum, I reckon you'd be happier without that plugin installed at all. 

Edited by GrimReaper

ManuJapan89

i added anime plugin but i cannot see anidb if i choose a movie library tipe, it only show as tv show type one.

beside this, for me is a huge issue if i have to re-organized anime like inuyasha, i can overcome the multi-versioned issue in another way?

GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, ManuJapan89 said:

i added anime plugin but i cannot see anidb if i choose a movie library tipe, it only show as tv show type one.

Oh, I dont think it applies to movie-type library. @Luke

6 minutes ago, ManuJapan89 said:

beside this, for me is a huge issue if i have to re-organized anime like inuyasha, i can overcome the multi-versioned issue in another way?

Save dropping those "dash"es ( - ) or introducing Season folders, can't think of another way unfortunately, until parser improvements are implemented eventually - no timeframe on that one, though. Maybe" Split versions apart" in episode detail view Media info section would do the trick? 

Edited by GrimReaper

pwhodges

I name all my anime to fit TVDB's data.  The only time I tried alternative metadata sources from the Anime plugin, the result was disastrous - they may have more information in some areas, but they are nothing like as consistent or well curated as TVDB (for all its faults).

Many people are not aware that TVDB often has multiple possible orders, which enables you to choose your preferred season division or not.  Recently it has added extra options (such as for director's cut versions), but Emby hasn't yet got the means to select these.

A recent problem (stemming from TVDB) is that TVDB doesn't necessarily return as first match to a name the exact match.  When there are multiple versions of an anime made in different years, this can cause mixups.  The solution is easy - just add [tvdbid=nnnn] (which the actual id number) to the series name in the folder name.

It really is worth it to separate the seasons into season folders - even if there is only one.  It just prevents so many mistakes happening.  As a result, for instance, Inuyasha is just fine using defaults:

image.thumb.jpeg.e62bd341ff0f198f7671f1a45ac76249.jpeg

The -monogatari series I use the DVD order from TVDB.  In the past I manged to fudge things to get the exact order I wanted (i.e. with the second season broken up into sections) by breaking the rules, but Emby no longer lets me get away with that (so my old posts about that should be ignored now).  Anyway, now I have:

image.thumb.jpeg.5ce3dba9af4dd6f78cafedac0b1cd983.jpeg

There are still some issues with SSA\ASS subtitles - but this varies with client, and whether transcoding is required.  The remaining issues are being actively worked on, and I suspect the present beta cycle will solve almost everything.

There have in the past been issues with 10-bit video, especially AVC Main 10 (which is barely used, and only really in some older anime), but I think those are all solved.

If I've missed anything that concerns you, just ask (PM if you want).

Paul

ManuJapan89

Hi Paul, thanks for your explanation, 

so, if i understood correctly i have to separate series into subfolder seasons. if i don't want  to do it, i will likely have issue with emby. so basically if i want to use emby i have to re-arrange all my file structure(which is crazy on 2500 folders 11 TB of data splitted on 4 external drives)

have i understood correctly?

few huge example that come in my mind

Case Closed aka Meitantei Conan, is like inuyasha in my HDDS

Onepiece

and many other.

i know i can use filebot for bulk do it with a format expression like this //hdd/anime/shows/{n}/Season {s}/{n} - {s00e00} - {t} and it would be renamed and moved in something like this

Z:/Aniplex/Firefly/Season 1/Firefly - S01E01 - Serenity and so on. but it's anyway a huge and unwanted work

pwhodges

If the individual files are clearly named with the SnnEmm pattern, it is rare that anything will go wrong even without season folders. I do have many series without season folders with no problems - but I have long made a habit of always including them for new acquisitions.  I would let Emby process your library as is, and then deal with any series you find has gone wrong.

It is perhaps true (from my reading around, not experience as I've never used Plex) that some namings that work in Plex don't work in Emby, but use of Filebot and/or Bulk Rename Utility (my preferred file renamer) sorts things easily enough.  However, your collection is a lot bigger than mine (I have about 350 anime series and 200 anime films), so I can understand your concern about the effort!

Paul

ManuJapan89

image.png.7a1ca1d7044c38fb1b45ef7e904ef3fc.png

these are my exact numbers.

i wanted to try emby due the concern about recent plex strategy and feature. streaming and discovery... i feel is moving away from his own media center purpopse. so i basically want to run emby alongside with plex and be ready to switch if things go wrong. i have a couple of issue on playback on plex too(example, choose a subs(pgs) on an anime movie with nvidia shield pro 2019 lead to plex transcoder.exe crash on Plex media server and the movie(ponyo in that case) was marked as played.

but the very reason is, guys you all ANSWER to users questions, it's amazing!!!! in plex no one fucking reply on anything. issues like the one stated above, go on for months without fix or a reply from plex dev. it's crazy. very crazy. so if i can gracefully, without effort have emby alongside plex is fine. if i have to spend hours...well... i love the way you all work but i cannot do that hell of matching once again. i die. litterally.

another concern is speed on scanning... plex deals itself with that collection in less than 12hours. metadata included using plex tv series agent(which basically use thetvdb - a cached version if i understood correctly)
i tried emby providing it less than 1 TB (100 shows) after 3 hours it hadn't finished yet. this worried me. worried me a lot due to my massive collection

in that 100 shows there was inuyasha too.  :(

pwhodges

Yes, a full scan may take a day or even two for a collection your size - but hey, once it's done, it's done (apart from rescans for changes and corrections). 

I don't definitely know the reason for the apparent slowness, but I suspect there's some throttling involved to keep well away from hitting TVDB's (or any source's) rate limits; I don't believe Emby caches any metadata at all.

As for effort vs gain, it has to be a personal choice.  When I started with Emby, I knew nothing of the conventions for naming media files; I had a collection I'd made over ten or so years, with no thought to naming as I simply played things with VLC from the folders they were organised in.  I had to rename everything for Emby (and I hadn't heard of Filebot, either).  It took me months (alongside a busy life), but I'm glad I did. In the end, I suspect you'd also be satisfied to have made any necessary changes - but only you can say if you can manage to make the effort right now!

Music's another story.  My collection is virtually entirely classical, with many rare recordings which are not in the MusicBrainz or Discogs databases - and that's before adding in my own unpublished concert recordings.  Quite simply, there is no metadata scheme that can handle this decently; the nearest is Roon's database ($$$), which my son (a professional musician) contributed a lot to both the design and content of.  But after some recent updates Emby does a reasonably good job of letting me use my directory structure effectively.  But if you have music in the ordinary album structure, Emby can handle that very well, so long as the metadata is entirely complete and consistent - it is merciless in requiring that, though!

Paul

pwhodges

PS: one last comment on Season folders.  If you have a "mixed content" type library, i.e. mixed series and films, you absolutely must follow the guidelines strictly, with each movie in its own folder, and each series having season folders containing the episodes - otherwise Emby will get very confused between films and series.

Paul

pwhodges
2 hours ago, ManuJapan89 said:

on emby i see only inuyasha, with poster, plot, cast, i can play 1st episodes but i cannot see any seasons. is it normal?

I missed the detail of this comment.

When Emby is scanning a series in season folders, you see the seasons immediately.  When there are no season folders but the files are correctly named in a flat folder, Emby doesn't display the seasons immediately, but they appear a little later - so just wait and it will sort itself out.  If the seasons are slow to appear, just select "Scan Library Files" from the three-dot menu for that series, and that will sort it immediately.

Paul

• 9 months later...