UNRAID EMBY NVIDIA

zfrenchy
Go to solution Solved by zfrenchy,

zfrenchy

First, I cannot find any section in linux for UNRAID, I post here, but feel free to move to the right section.

I finally update my UNRAID server to latest version (6.10.3), then install Nvidia plugin driver.

I am a lifetime Premier sub for EMBY, here is a screenshot of transcoding settings, Nvidia is not showing

image.png.3713295565fc668fb102355ae812dff0.png

What I am missing ? what direction should I look ?

here is the logs

embyserver.txt

hardware_detection-63793658771.txt

zfrenchy

@Luke That is wayyyyy above my knowledge ... also doesn't look related to UNRAID, but some Linux OS, which is outside my comfort zone.

10 hours ago, zfrenchy said:

@Luke That is wayyyyy above my knowledge ... also doesn't look related to UNRAID, but some Linux OS, which is outside my comfort zone.

It is Docker related though. It can help you pass the GPU through the Docker container so that Emby Server can detect it.

26 minutes ago, zfrenchy said:

@Luke

Ok,  pass the GPU through the Docker container, how to do that ?

Have you taken a look at this?

zfrenchy

Yes I did ... look like Chinese to me ... LOL

Let's start ...

Step 1 .... OK

step 2 .... sudo apt-key add --> command not found

zfrenchy

I cannot believe I am the only one on the planet who has a GTX1660Ti, UNRAID and Emby !????  NOBODY USE Nvidia hardware acceleration ?  I doubt it !

I bought Emby premiere to use hardware acceleration, update my UNRAID server to install Nvidia card (now my 10GB network not working because of latest version of UNRAID), bought a new graphics card for decoding/encoding, AND STILL not enough !!!!?

I SERIOUSLY NEED HELP TO FIX EMBY HARDWARE ACCELERATION, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE !!!

samuelqwe

I would love to offer more direct help, but I don't use an Nvidia GPU on my Unraid system. I only use my Intel iGPU for HW transcoding.

However, this video by SpaceInvaderOne (he makes awesome videos on Unraid) is a pretty good breakdown of what you need to do to get it working. Obviously, ignore the parts about Plex and Jellyfin.

He does use the LinuxServer container for Emby, but this method would also work for the official Emby container, albeit with some slight differences in the container configuration.

• Thanks 1

• Solution
zfrenchy

Solution:

1- in UNRAID, install the Nvidia plugin called "Nvidia driver"

2- stop then restart the "docker service" located in the "settings tab"

3- On "docker tab", click the blue link "EmbyServer", settings appear

4- right on top, go to  "AVANCED VIEW"

5- Found the line called "Extra Parameters", and enter --runtime=nvidia

6- Click APPLY, DONE

7- Open Emby, go to settings

8- At "Transcoding Tab", choose "Advanced" in the drop-down

9- select coding and decoding you want, then "SAVE"

YOU DONE !

Here is a quick video of 4k H265 120Mbps video playback on 1GB ethernet LAN.

Edited by zfrenchy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

An old thread, but this was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you zfrenchy, for putting this in such a straight to the point way.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
leitenky

I have intel igpu and Nvidia. I want to test with both GPUs, is there a way to test with intel? Can I add both somehow to test the performance of both?

If i wanted to test Intel, would I switch --runtime=nvidia to --runtime=intel? (Intel iGPU is i5-13500 CPU)

Edited by leitenky

sross44
1 hour ago, leitenky said:

I have intel igpu and Nvidia. I want to test with both GPUs, is there a way to test with intel? Can I add both somehow to test the performance of both?

If i wanted to test Intel, would I switch --runtime=nvidia to --runtime=intel? (Intel iGPU is i5-13500 CPU)

That iGPU isn't supported on the stable build yet for transcoding with QuickSync. It is supported on the beta which should be releasing to stable very shortly. 

To answer your question though, if you want to run both, keep the --runtime=nvidia as it is in the extra paramaters. Add a device to the container. The value for that should be /dev/dri 

This will add it in. You also need to make sure you have the intel top gpu plugin installed as well in unRAID. Let me know if you have any questions. 

leitenky

Ok thanks for the info I'll keep an eye out for the next stable release. Thanks again!

• Like 1