Separating two TV series that are pretty much the same

kevinw

kevinw

I have the original Star Trek series and I also have the Remastered version. Is there any way I can get emby to populate the series and information information of both but keep them separate so I can see both in the library?

I suspect there isn't as it's an unusual thing to want to do but it's worth an ask.

The only way I can think of to do it is naming one of them differently then populating its metadata manually by copying from the other.

Thanks.

Kevin

Edited by kevinw

GrimReaper

Try unticking "Automatically merge series that are spread across multiple folders" in library settings, run Library scan. 

• Like 1

kevinw

Sorry, I should have added in my original post that I'm actively using that setting for other series*, i.e. I need it ticked. I'm not making things easy am I :(!

*AFAIK there's no way in emby to say users can delete from this root folder but not that one (See this post). To ensure things I want to keep are not accidentally deleted I put them in a folder emby has no write (delete) permissions to. The problem with that is emby can't then write the .nfo files for new releases so they go into a separate root emby can write to. I move the files to the safe root once the season has finished. That's completely transparent in the user interface as emby merges the folders. The worst that can happen is the current season is deleted accidentally (which is likely to be easier to replace) and older seasons are safe from deletion. Does that make sense? I realise it's a kludge but I can't think of another way to protect older files that may be difficult to replace. (Yes, I do have a backup but that's overwritten monthly and I may not notice something has been deleted before the backup runs).

GrimReaper
10 minutes ago, kevinw said:

Sorry, I should have added in my original post that I'm actively using that setting for other series*, i.e. I need it ticked. I'm not making things easy am I :(

Well, you can either merge all same series - or not, can't do it on individual basis. 🤷‍♂️

kevinw

I knew that! 😊

I was wondering if there was some other workaround I could employ rather than manually populate the metadata of one of the series but, as I said in my opening post, I suspect there isn’t so I’ll do that.

Thanks for your responses.

GrimReaper
32 minutes ago, kevinw said:

I knew that! 😊

I was wondering if there was some other workaround I could employ rather than manually populate the metadata of one of the series but, as I said in my opening post, I suspect there isn’t so I’ll do that.

Thanks for your responses.

Is Emby multi-versioning your episodes? Do you have 'Split apart' button in episode detail view? 

kevinw
1 hour ago, GrimReaper said:

Is Emby multi-versioning your episodes? Do you have 'Split apart' button in episode detail view? 

I think you're right and that could be a solution. I looked for it before posting but couldn't find it and decided that must have been a Plex option rather than emby (I no longer have Plex so couldn't check).

I went to the episode and clicked the three dots to the right and it's not there. Am I looking in the wrong place? (The only thing below what's shown is Refresh Metadata)

image.thumb.png.169280b5fad49782c612741748c4bbe5.png

GrimReaper

It'd be in Episode detail view (not Season view) Media Info section at the bottom. 

kevinw
2 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

It'd be in Episode detail view (not Season view) Media Info section at the bottom. 

I must be being thick. Using a Windows browser I can see no way of looking at the episodes than the way in my screenshot above. I've tried Show View, Folder View and Episode View none of them seem to give me the option I'm looking for. What have I missed?

pwhodges

Click or touch to the right of the image (e.g. on the descriptive text).

Paul

• Like 1

kevinw
6 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Split the library?

Paul

Sorry, I missed this earlier. I'd prefer to keep them in one library if I can.

12 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Click or touch to the right of the image (e.g. on the descriptive text).

Paul

Ah thank you, so it looks like this?

image.thumb.png.dd82278d869097384ee70e43d9e31d0b.png

I can now select either version but neither clicking on the three dots nor right-clicking on the same episode just below this gives me a media info option or anything that looks similar.

GrimReaper
10 minutes ago, kevinw said:

Sorry, I missed this earlier. I'd prefer to keep them in one library if I can.

Ah thank you, so it looks like this?

image.thumb.png.dd82278d869097384ee70e43d9e31d0b.png

I can now select either version but neither clicking on the three dots nor right-clicking on the same episode just below this gives me a media info option or anything that looks similar.

Scroll to the bottom of that page. 

3 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

• Like 1