Roku defaults to 'Suggestions' instead of 'Movies'

dcruff
Go to solution Solved by dcruff,

dcruff

After selecting 'Movies' from the Home screen, the next screen defaults to 'Suggestions' instead of 'Movies'.  Therefore, I always have to move the selection to the left to get to 'Movie'.  This also happens in 'Series'. 

This doesn't happen on my Apple TV or on my Android Samsung phone.  They operate as expected.  Is there an option that I'm missing?  I've tried logging in as different users to no avail.  I also checked for updates on the Roku and reset the Roku.

Running Unraid Emby Server

Dave

dcruff

I just found a related issue related to the tab selection.

When I choose 'Music Concerts', the initial default highlighted tab is 'Genres', instead of Folders, therefore initially showing me "No Items Found" in the middle of the screen.  On the Apple TV, two tabs are presented - 'Music videos' and 'Folders', both of which show lots of content.  But the Roku only shows 'Genres' and 'Folders'.

• Solution
dcruff

Oh, just found my solution - The Roku allows you to select the 'Default Tab'.  I changed it on everything and it's fine now.

• Thanks 1

demhinds
On 7/16/2022 at 12:37 PM, dcruff said:

Oh, just found my solution - The Roku allows you to select the 'Default Tab'.  I changed it on everything and it's fine now.

I very much wish we could truly set the default tab for users and have it apply across devices. My mom, for example, just can't seem to figure it out and complains about all of the "extra" steps to get to the movies or TV tab (or folders tab for mixed content). Doesn't help that I have ~30 libraries, though. That's a lot of legwork for a typical user. 

Happy2Play

@demhinds Devs will have to comment but believe this is just another defect of the Roku.

demhinds
50 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

@demhinds Devs will have to comment but believe this is just another defect of the Roku.

Sounds about right. There are plenty of them! Lol

Whenever it's time to upgrade, I definitely will not be going with Roku again. 

dcruff

Actually, the Roku has been my favorite Emby client.  It plays well and navigation has been good.  Apple TV still does not show the Alphabet on the side of the screen for quick access to movies which is frustrating.  What is everyone else's favorite Emby client?

13 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Devs will have to comment but believe this is just another defect of the Roku.

Its actually a feature.  You're right that these should be shared across all apps.  The reason the aren't yet in this app is because this app allows you to select ANY tab in ANY library type as the default but the other apps do not - they restrict the selection to only some tabs in some libraries.  If we make this app the same, then it will remove functionality that some may be using so we need to get to the point where all the apps are able to select any tab as default in any library.

demhinds
5 hours ago, ebr said:

Its actually a feature.  You're right that these should be shared across all apps.  The reason the aren't yet in this app is because this app allows you to select ANY tab in ANY library type as the default but the other apps do not - they restrict the selection to only some tabs in some libraries.  If we make this app the same, then it will remove functionality that some may be using so we need to get to the point where all the apps are able to select any tab as default in any library.

That's interesting. I also agree that it's a feature, as I personally like having the ability to choose for myself and I know my preferencences aren't universal for all, so I understand both sides of the coin here.