Request to make the app operations more 'expected' (& consistent)

ember1205

ember1205

Not sure if this is actually specific to Android TV or if it might be broader, but I've noticed that certain operations within the client do not produce consistent results when (I feel) they should.

Example 1:

• Launch client
  • Select a TV Show library
  • Scroll down
  • Select a TV show
  • Scroll down
  • Scroll right across seasons
  • Select a season
  • Scroll down to highlight an episode
  • Press back on the remote -> You're returned to the top of the list of episodes for the season
  • Press back on the remote -> You're returned the the list of seasons with the season you just exited highlighted
  • Press back on the remote -> You're returned the list of TV Shows in the library <- This is not consistent with prior steps and is different in 4.7.5 compared to 4.6 (prior versions would return you to the entry point of the show's folder with the option to resume / play from where you left off)
  • Press back on the remote -> You're placed back on the first TV Show in the folder <- Also not consistent with prior operation
  • Press back on the remote -> You're returned to the list of libraries with the one you just left highlighted
  • Press back on the remote -> You're asked if you want to Exit <- Not consistent with prior operations... Expectation would be to be placed on the first library in the list

Example 2:

• Launch cilent
  • Select a library -> You are placed on the first item in the library
  • Press back on the Remote
  • Scroll down and select Guide (configured to NOT show favorites first and sort by channel number)
  • You are placed on the last channel you viewed <- not consistent with expected as expectation is to be placed on the very first channel in the list for the guide each time.
  • Press back on the remote -> you are returned to the home screen with Guide highlighted
  • Press back on the remote -> you are asked to exit <- not consistent, expected behavior would be to be returned to the first library (top left)

Example 3:

• When selecting a show that's playing now, don't show the show's information screen by default. Instead, just tune the channel. A long press could be used to bring up additional options like Record or Info
  • From the Home screen, when choosing a show from the "On Now" row, just play it instead of bringing up the show's information screen. A long press could be used to bring up additional options like Record or Info.

2 hours ago, ember1205 said:

Press back on the remote -> You're returned the list of TV Shows in the library <- This is not consistent with prior steps and is different in 4.7.5 compared to 4.6 (prior versions would return you to the entry point of the show's folder with the option to resume / play from where you left off)

Hi.  This behavior has not changed with any server versions.  In situations where it is likely that you can scroll far away from the top of the screen AND there are controls at the top of the screen that you may want to access (like the tabs or a toolbar) then we have the back button take you back to the top of the list on the first press.  We don't do this in every situation because it would just serve to make that many more clicks to get people where they want.  So, in something like a detail screen - where you really can't scroll all that far usually, we do not do this.

You are placed on the last channel you viewed <- not consistent with expected as expectation is to be placed on the very first channel in the list for the guide each time.

That is a feature.  You are the first to express a dislike for it.  Feedback noted.

When selecting a show that's playing now, don't show the show's information screen by default. Instead, just tune the channel.

There is a long discussion on this in the FR topic.

ember1205
3 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  This behavior has not changed with any server versions.  In situations where it is likely that you can scroll far away from the top of the screen AND there are controls at the top of the screen that you may want to access (like the tabs or a toolbar) then we have the back button take you back to the top of the list on the first press.  We don't do this in every situation because it would just serve to make that many more clicks to get people where they want.  So, in something like a detail screen - where you really can't scroll all that far usually, we do not do this.

The example I cited goes against what you're describing in that I can't get to the top bar without scrolling up or exiting the show and re-entering it. If the top menu presence on the screen is the item of interest, then maybe just keep that menu up there at all times (don't allow it to scroll off the screen). Even though it may be by design, it feels inconsistent.

3 hours ago, ebr said:

That is a feature.  You are the first to express a dislike for it.  Feedback noted.

Fair enough. The ability to configure it would be great. Maybe a "Favorites" bar similar to the On now. Personally, I go to the Guide to see the total of what's on.

3 hours ago, ebr said:

There is a long discussion on this in the FR topic.

I will take a peek over there. Thanks for the pointer.

20 hours ago, ember1205 said:

The example I cited goes against what you're describing in that I can't get to the top bar without scrolling up or exiting the show and re-entering it. If the top menu presence on the screen is the item of interest, then maybe just keep that menu up there at all times (don't allow it to scroll off the screen).

The detail screen (for a show) does not have a "top menu" of tabs and, on the screens that do, they do not scroll out of view.