Why Doesn't Emby Automatically Draw In Original Movie Posters??🤣

ZeeNetTV

ZeeNetTV

It's always the most generic looking garbage not even fit for a grade schoolers trapper keeper! The original posters (which let us all just admit are way cooler) are always buried further in when you look for other images. Just wish it automatically put THOSE into place instead of the ones that look like someone just downloaded Adobe Photoshop for the first time😆

• Like 2

NicoLaz

Hi @ZeeNetTV! I had the same issue after a major update around a year ago or so. I assume that, somehow, FanArt is configured as your primary image provider. You can configure that in the library settings. Turn on the advanced settings (slider on the top) and configure the image fetchers. Make sure that TheTVDB (for a series library) or TheMovieDB (for a movie library) are listed above "FanArt" and other providers.

Happy2Play

Yes, specific examples are needed as I do not see an issue with any online provider images.

ZeeNetTV

Here are a few examples...it always chooses the very first image by default (outlined in red). However, the credit information and tag lines are typically removed, leaving usually just a title and image, sometimes even just a title. Just wish there was some way to get those original theater posters (outlined in blue) by default if they are available (and they usually are--sometimes not, but I do find them most of the time in the image search), instead of having to do it manually...which let's face it, I'm not taking the time to do cause my library's too large to waste my time like that. Lol...

imageedit_0_3802460804.png

imageedit_1_2393040097.png

imageedit_2_5943762731.png

ZeeNetTV
On 7/13/2022 at 3:23 PM, NicoLaz said:

Hi @ZeeNetTV! I had the same issue after a major update around a year ago or so. I assume that, somehow, FanArt is configured as your primary image provider. You can configure that in the library settings. Turn on the advanced settings (slider on the top) and configure the image fetchers. Make sure that TheTVDB (for a series library) or TheMovieDB (for a movie library) are listed above "FanArt" and other providers.

I just checked that out, and even though I unchecked FanArt, I noticed it really probably won't matter, because even with just TheMovieDB, it seems to be choosing which ever poster art has both the most votes and the highest "score"...that's what I'm noticing anyways...

Edited by ZeeNetTV

GrimReaper

Poster selection will always be highly subjective matter - I, for one, under no circumstances ever want to see original theater posters with credits and all that text - as, I guess, majority of users do not prefer those either, else they'll be higher rated/voted. As some criteria needs to exist for poster selection, that one seems like a most sensible one. 

Paid alternative/solution for your issue might be RPDB (either as a standalone app or Emby plugin) with IMDB posters selected, as vast majority of those are pulled as original theater posters (something I had a BIG isssue with until it was developed further and TMDB posters were introduced). There are several tiers available, you might wanna check it out. 

Wrote a longhish post about it back in the day:

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ZeeNetTV said:

I just checked that out, and even though I unchecked FanArt, I noticed it really probably won't matter, because even with just TheMovieDB, it seems to be choosing which ever poster art has both the most votes and the highest "score"...that's what I'm noticing anyways...

What criteria would you like us to use instead?

Yeah, those actual theater posters are designed to be shown in large wall-hanging displays and are not at all well suited for display in smaller formats.  Most of the information cannot be read.  

crusher11

If I had a dollar for every hour I've spent painstakingly Photoshopping those credits out of posters for films that don't have a clean one available, I'd be very, very wealthy.

Ronstang
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Yeah, those actual theater posters are designed to be shown in large wall-hanging displays and are not at all well suited for display in smaller formats.  Most of the information cannot be read.  

Doesn't matter whether you can read it or not.....they are ART and for many movie buffs, especially of classic cinema, the only acceptable posters are original as displayed as the artist intended.  I have asked everyone I know and they all prefer the original posters.  Nothing looks more stupid than an original poster that someone has photo shopped all the words off of......if you want a different poster then be creative enough to create one of your own that at least has some artistic balance and value.

I cannot count the hours I spend using photoshop to CLEAN up original posters to look good as many times the only examples you can find have fold lines and tears visible in them.  Everyone that uses my server comments on my poster art as I have hundreds and hundreds of posters that are only available on my emby server because the ones to choose from are junk because the available pictures available online are limited or low quality.  

Happy2Play

From an automated standpoint you are never likely to get the image you want as it is gotten from a site vote system.

As the example above shows that are not the highest admins will be required to pick the one they want.

So per this discussion FanArt is automatically eliminated as these types of images are not authorized.  OMDB is sort of hit and miss but usually has this image and TMDB well odds are you were out voted.

So in the end you will have to manually get the image you prefer.

Ronstang
19 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

So in the end you will have to manually get the image you prefer.

As I have found, and the easiest way to do that is use google search on the title and year and choose "images".  This way you can view tiles of the best hits, click on them and then a preview window pops op on the right side with the picture you selected and suggestions below it that are relevant.  Then just hover the mouse on the picture showcased at the op and you will see the resolution in the lower left corner of the picture.  You can either "save image as" from here or simply drag an drop.  This is the easiest method because usually, but not always, IMDB has the best images but they are not directly accessible from IMDB.....you are forced to save the html them go into the folder, find the images, peruse them and select the one you want.....but from the google search pop up on the right you can directly access the photos.  You can also compare a lot of sources easily if you are picky like me.

An since I prefer classic cinema the pictures I find are merely starting points to use photoshop to improve many times.  

pwhodges

Using Opera (other browsers will have something similar) I right-click on the image in IMDB, select "Inspect Element", open the div which displays it (may need to drill down a layer or two), and click the image url I find there - this then opens in a new window and I can drag it out.

Paul

Edited by pwhodges