Fire TV Stick 4K (Max) and DTS-HD passthrough?

cncb

I just got a Fire TV Stick 4K Max and in trying it out with the Emby app, I am not getting DTS-HD passthrough to my AVR.  The stick is connected directly to my AVR via HDMI and I have DTS-HD passthrough checked in the Emby settings but it always outputs just the plain DTS core.

10 hours ago, cncb said:

Just sent the logs while watching Avatar (mkv) @10:26 PM, user 'Family'.   Thanks.

Thanks for the log.  The app is sending the DTS-HD stream out unmodified:

07-12 22:23:33.015 25926 25926 D EventLogger:   MediaCodecAudioRenderer [
07-12 22:23:33.016 25926 25926 D EventLogger:     Group:0, adaptive_supported=N/A [
07-12 22:23:33.016 25926 25926 D EventLogger:       [X] Track:0, id=2, mimeType=audio/vnd.dts.hd, channels=6, sample_rate=48000, language=en, label=Surround 5.1, supported=YES

I swapped it in for my Shield TV on the same HDMI connection so it certainly can handle DTS-HD (no problems with the Shield TV).

Edited by cncb

horstepipe

Hey

sorry I do not want to hijack this thread, just some short questions:

- The Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K (Max) is generally able to output DTS HD and True HD?

- Can it do passthrough as well as lcpm output?

- What about 7.1 DTS HD and True HD tracks?

Edited by horstepipe

5 hours ago, horstepipe said:

The Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K (Max) is generally able to output DTS HD and True HD?

Actually, no, it doesn't which is why it isn't happening in this case.

There isn't much incentive for Amazon to pay a license for that since no streaming content provider delivers content with DTS-HD.

It seems that it only supports passthrough of DTS-HD HR and not DTS-HD MA.  This probably won't be a deal-breaker for me since I only have a 5.1-channel system now.  It is strange how they convert everything else to DD+ on the fly.  Seems like it would be taxing on the device.  I have never understood why they would need a "license" just to pass the signal untouched to an AVR? 

Another issue is that it turns out I have several files with VC-1 encoded video and unfortunately the Stick does not have hardware-decoding for those.

horstepipe
9 hours ago, cncb said:

It seems that it only supports passthrough of DTS-HD HR and not DTS-HD MA.  This probably won't be a deal-breaker for me since I only have a 5.1-channel system now.  It is strange how they convert everything else to DD+ on the fly.  Seems like it would be taxing on the device.  I have never understood why they would need a "license" just to pass the signal untouched to an AVR? 

Another issue is that it turns out I have several files with VC-1 encoded video and unfortunately the Stick does not have hardware-decoding for those.

So

- DTS HD MA not supported 

- DTS HD HR supported

- What about TrueHD?

Edited by horstepipe

13 hours ago, horstepipe said:

What about TrueHD?

No mention of that in the specs for the device.  In fact, there is no mention of DTS support either but I'm pretty sure it won't support TrueHD.

It converts everything that is not DTS (including TrueHD) to DD+.  I still don't understand how it can do this so efficiently.