Filter by Custom Rating?

Hey, I just started using custom ratings for parental control and was wondering if there was any way to filter movies by custom rating? In the filter menu, I just see "Parental Rating" but that ignores the custom ratings (as I'd expect)

chrome_wQIdLALTYS.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hi, yes I guess we don't have a filter for this right now and that will have to be added. Thanks.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Please go over a specific example as custom rating supersedes rating.

MBSki
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, yes I guess we don't have a filter for this right now and that will have to be added. Thanks.

Instead of adding a separate field can you instead just use the custom rating data instead of the parental rating data if there is a custom rating?

37 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Please go over a specific example as custom rating supersedes rating.

For example:

I want a kids account that shows all movies rated G - PG
Some (specifically older) movies were rated PG but include violence, nudity, etc
I'd like to go through those and en-masse add a custom R rating to they don't show up in the kids' account
Years later it may be prudent to go through these to remove the R rating, or maybe bump them down to PG-13 as I deem appropriate
Right now it's difficult to see all the films I've added the custom rating to because the filter lacks the option

Personally, I think exposing the custom rating in this field list will be confusing to most end users as they have no idea what that is.

What you need seems better suited to the metadata editor or reports plug-in to me.

• Like 2

Happy2Play

Ah that's right it is sorting that honors custom rating not filtering.  So sorting by PR will put the item with PG-13 with R rated items.

custom rating PG-13 on Charming

image.thumb.png.87443b8c6578d1344a30349ff93a0a96.png

9 minutes ago, ebr said:

Personally, I think exposing the custom rating in this field list will be confusing to most end users as they have no idea what that is.

What you need seems better suited to the metadata editor or reports plug-in to me.

Ironically I typically avoid plugins because the UX varies so wildly.

I'd maybe suggest adding a subcategory within the dropdown that would auto-populate according to the media - that way there isn't a separate filter option, the common end user wouldn't be affected, and only people using custom ratings would get this option.

ratings.png

MBSki
48 minutes ago, ebr said:

So why not handle it how I recommended by just using the custom rating instead of the parental rating?

15 hours ago, mbarylski said:

So why not handle it how I recommended by just using the custom rating instead of the parental rating?

If sorting already does that, it seems filtering probably should too...

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, 01010111 said:

I'd maybe suggest adding a subcategory within the dropdown that would auto-populate according to the media - that way there isn't a separate filter option, the common end user wouldn't be affected, and only people using custom ratings would get this option.

That would still be confusing to an end-user.  They still don't know what a custom rating is or why it exists.  What you are asking for is really an administrative task so I don't believe it should be in the end user UI.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ebr said:

That would still be confusing to an end-user.  They still don't know what a custom rating is or why it exists.  What you are asking for is really an administrative task so I don't believe it should be in the end user UI.

It wouldn't appear unless the end user is using custom ratings - similar to how other filterable categories auto-populate based on the metadata of the media files in their collection.

The only way an end user would see "Custom Ratings" in the dropdown would be if they've set custom ratings manually, so I don't see where the confusion would come in.

7 minutes ago, 01010111 said:

The only way an end user would see "Custom Ratings" in the dropdown would be if they've set custom ratings manually, so I don't see where the confusion would come in

Hi.  Think of the "end user" as your children for whom you set these ratings.  They likely have no idea what they are.  Then there are possibly all the other users on your server (Grandma, whomever) who really have no relevance to this value nor understanding of what it is.

What you are asking for is only relevant to the administrator of the data, not all the consumers of it so I believe it should be restricted to some sort of administrative interface (like the metadata manager).

sydlexius
2 hours ago, ebr said:

What if, along those lines, those with "admin" rights to Emby had "custom ratings" as a filter option in the Web UI?

2 minutes ago, sydlexius said:

What if, along those lines, those with "admin" rights to Emby had "custom ratings" as a filter option in the Web UI?

Why not just have it so you can sort and/or filter by it in the metadata manager?  The request is targeted at editing metadata.  Isn't that where it belongs?

sydlexius
Just now, ebr said:

Why not just have it so you can sort and/or filter by it in the metadata manager?  The request is targeted at editing metadata.  Isn't that where it belongs?

I asked because we have a filtering interface today.  I wasn't aware of UI/feature changes coming to the Metadata Manager.  That would be the more sensible place to put it.  I've been struggling with setting the custom ratings because of the significant number of movies in my library that never received any sort of certification in the US (or other countries).  I currently block "unrated/nr" stuff in my kid's profile, but it's not always easy to tell which ones I've completed.  Having a column in table view for "custom rating" would also be useful, but I'm sure that just brings up the same concerns you had for a filter option.

2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Think of the "end user" as your children for whom you set these ratings.  They likely have no idea what they are.  What you are asking for is only relevant to the administrator of the data, not all the consumers of it so I believe it should be restricted to some sort of administrative interface (like the metadata manager).

Well, in my example, the media tagged with custom ratings would be filtered out from their account anyway, so they would also not see the custom ratings in the filter.

15 minutes ago, 01010111 said:

so they would also not see the custom ratings in the filter.

In order for that to be the case, we would have to examine the entire result set of all available items to determine if any of them had custom ratings set in order to determine whether or not to show that filter.  That really would not be practical.  Plus, there is the example of other users for whom the custom ratings do not affect but they still have no idea they exist (Grandma, aunt, whomever).

Wouldn't the ability to sort/filter on this data within the metadata manager, give you exactly what you want (and even in a better interface for editing)?

5 minutes ago, ebr said:

In order for that to be the case, we would have to examine the entire result set of all available items to determine if any of them had custom ratings set in order to determine whether or not to show that filter

Don't you already do this with ratings?

6 minutes ago, ebr said:

Wouldn't the ability to sort/filter on this data within the metadata manager, give you exactly what you want (and even in a better interface for editing)?

I wouldn't mind it, it just feels like the functionality is already almost there - like sydlexius mentioned, there's already UI and functionality for filtering. I have no idea if the metadata manager would have a better interface for this because it doesn't exist. I'm not aware of any work being done on it or how soon it would be available. If there's a beta branch or something where these features exist that I could opt into it'd be neat!

chrome_6voXdMxqyQ.png

Sorry I don't mean to sound confrontational - if these changes are already planned for the metadata manager I'm all for it. This just seemed like low hanging fruit, but I'm sure you know better than me how practical it would be to implement!

There are some proposed changes with the metadata manager utilizing the new table view that I think would do exactly what you want.  I can't say exactly when that will happen but I really don't think a value that is designed to be transparent to the end user should be exposed in the UI to that user.

• Like 1