Emby for Android TV (2.0.77) Sony Bravia - Fast forward freezes

alejandroe1790

alejandroe1790

Emby for Android TV (2.0.77) on Sony Bravia freezes / hangs entirely when attempting to fast forward or rewind.

Sounds similar to the issue described in the below thread but that was seemingly focused on NVIDIA shield device

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/107623-cant-fast-forward-rewind-a-video/

Interested in a ETA on a fix or a workaround

alejandroe1790

Thanks for the reply. That link you provided doesn't contain a ton of details on how to side load the app so I used the below links (in case anyone else sees this).

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31374085/installing-adb-on-macos
https://www.androidpolice.com/how-to-sideload-any-application-on-android-tv/?utm_source=Sony TV Sideloading Hub&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Sony TV Sideloading Hub

Was able to install the APK and the particular issue (fast forward not working) no longer occurs.

Though the app is overall a bit slow to respond relative to what I was previously using.

12 hours ago, alejandroe1790 said:

Emby for Android TV (2.0.77) on Sony Bravia freezes / hangs entirely

Hi.  Can you please describe exactly what you did and what happened?

Thanks.

alejandroe1790

1. Launched Emby for Android TV (2.0.77)  on Sony Bravia TV
2. Navigated to recently played television show
3. Selected <play> button to start the show
4. Attempted to skip forward ~10 seconds or so
5. Show never resumes playing (even after multiple play/pause/fast forward/rewind attempts)
6. Forced to exit television show and select <play> again to get playback working

6 minutes ago, alejandroe1790 said:

Attempted to skip forward ~10 seconds or so

Hi.  This is the part I would like details for.  Exactly how did you do that?  What buttons did you press and how many times?  What appeared on screen at the time?

Thanks.

alejandroe1790

Press of <rewind> button on Sony Bravia remote 2x seems okay, but a 3rd time causes the issue. Sample size of like 2 run throughs though.

alejandroe1790

At a glance, it does behave / appear somewhat related to what was buffered. I let the show run for a while and was able to rewind / fast forward without issue. But if I "start from begging" a show and then immediately attempt to fast forward (2x) - it'll run into this issue. Or more prominently, I "resume" a show and rewind 2x - it'll run into this issue. 

Let it sit for about >110 seconds and eventually a blue circular progress bar appears and then it fixes itself.

Edited by alejandroe1790

Maxxin
21 hours ago, alejandroe1790 said:

Emby for Android TV (2.0.77) on Sony Bravia freezes / hangs entirely when attempting to fast forward or rewind.

Sounds similar to the issue described in the below thread but that was seemingly focused on NVIDIA shield device

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/107623-cant-fast-forward-rewind-a-video/

Interested in a ETA on a fix or a workaround

do you use cloudflare?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Alaino

For me the image freeze but the audio is still running when I watch a movie since the last Bravia update.

Edited by Alaino

Kimballslice1890

I am having the exact same issues. All seems to be specific to Android TV (or at least Android TV is more sensitive) happens on both my Chromecast with Google TV Stick and I recently just got a Verizon stream TV soundbar with Google TV. They are connect via LAN and pointed to the server LAN address. Seems to be more common on MPEG2 video format when watching a recorded TV show. Or trying to seek through a live TV show that is actively recording. Unfortunately I can't simply leave and restart the stream... I have to fully restart the Google TV device. Issue has been present for a few months now

My fire sticks are far less temperamental (still have the same issue seeking through live TV while it's being recorded - have had this issue since 2020)

• 1 month later...
On 7/20/2022 at 10:14 PM, Kimballslice1890 said:

I am having the exact same issues. All seems to be specific to Android TV (or at least Android TV is more sensitive) happens on both my Chromecast with Google TV Stick and I recently just got a Verizon stream TV soundbar with Google TV. They are connect via LAN and pointed to the server LAN address. Seems to be more common on MPEG2 video format when watching a recorded TV show. Or trying to seek through a live TV show that is actively recording. Unfortunately I can't simply leave and restart the stream... I have to fully restart the Google TV device. Issue has been present for a few months now

My fire sticks are far less temperamental (still have the same issue seeking through live TV while it's being recorded - have had this issue since 2020)

@Kimballslice1890

Hi, as a test, can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and let us know how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks !