Emby Out of Date on Synology NAS

ryan.brownell
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

ryan.brownell

I've installed Emby using the built-in package manager on my Synology NAS (DS1621+).

When I go into Emby's Dashboard it tells me that a new version of Emby is available and that I need to restart it...

image.png.131499776254faa0950de02e8803c329.png

In the package center it says that the latest available version is 4.6.7

image.thumb.png.6b5379586e663c6bf06b5c13c14919f0.png

Am I doing something wrong here or has the package just not been updated for the Synology NAS Package Center?

Thanks;

-Ryan

Edited by ryan.brownell

FrostByte

My guess is that it's reporting what's available for download manually and not what's available in the store.  However, I thought the store would be a little more current than that by now.

• Solution

Hi, we haven't submitted 4.7 yet to Synology, so you have the choice of either waiting for it to be available in Package Center, or updating manually by following the instructions on our website. We'll be submitting it to Synology soon. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

DonMacaroni

@Luke maybe provide link to that guide?
I personally could not find it.

Second question, would installing newer package manually, prevent updates via package center later?

Edited by DonMacaroni

DonMacaroni
37 minutes ago, heffeque said:

I think that the instructions Luke means are these:

https://emby.media/synology-server.html

As for the second question, I'd say that it doesn't prevent future updates through package center.

Yeah, I did not consider download page to be an actual "instructions"... 😄

Edited by DonMacaroni

• 2 weeks later...
heffeque
On 7/11/2022 at 6:56 PM, Luke said:

Hi, we haven't submitted 4.7 yet to Synology, so you have the choice of either waiting for it to be available in Package Center, or updating manually by following the instructions on our website. We'll be submitting it to Synology soon. Thanks.

Out of curiosity... How soon is "soon"?

Seems like you are waiting for something to get fixed before launching it to Synology's Package Center, but I can't quite pinpoint what it is!

Edited by heffeque

8 minutes ago, heffeque said:

Out of curiosity... How soon is "soon"?

Seems like you are waiting for something to get fixed before launching it to Synology's Package Center, but I can't quite pinpoint what it is!

Waiting for the 4.7.X maintenance releases to slow down because given a review process that takes several weeks it will actually take longer if we try to submit every single one to Synology. So we'll have a 4.7.6 release any day now and then ideally we'll submit that one to them.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
heffeque

Just out of curiosity.

How long does it usually take since you send them the update until it shows up in the Package Center?

I've been able to wait for weeks to update through Package Center, but lately I'm tempted to just update manually, and I'm fighting the urge... lol

Usually 2-3 weeks. We submitted 4.7.6 at the beginning of this week. Our Synology contact is now a new person, so that may or may not have an impact on response time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

heffeque

My impatience got the best of me: I updated manually 😅

Anyway: logged into Emby, shut it down from there, updated manually, it restarted by itself, did a database vacuum, restarted Emby manually, and... it all looks great! Thanks!

I then added the "Skip intro" task to my TV series folder and after a few hours, all done!

I'm assuming that once the version in the Package Center is available, it will ask to update again. I'll shut down Emby from inside before "updating" it, just in case.

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2022 at 11:55 AM, heffeque said:

My impatience got the best of me: I updated manually 😅

Anyway: logged into Emby, shut it down from there, updated manually, it restarted by itself, did a database vacuum, restarted Emby manually, and... it all looks great! Thanks!

I then added the "Skip intro" task to my TV series folder and after a few hours, all done!

I'm assuming that once the version in the Package Center is available, it will ask to update again. I'll shut down Emby from inside before "updating" it, just in case.

Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback !

• 3 months later...
ryan.brownell

It looks like we can add custom Package Manager sources to the Synology NAS. Perhaps this may be a better way to get updates sooner since Synology's review process seems to be indefinitely stalled.

Here is an example of a project that is using this installation methodology:

https://github.com/homebridge/homebridge/wiki/Install-Homebridge-on-Synology-DSM

FrostByte
1 hour ago, ryan.brownell said:

It looks like we can add custom Package Manager sources to the Synology NAS. Perhaps this may be a better way to get updates sooner since Synology's review process seems to be indefinitely stalled.

https://github.com/homebridge/homebridge/wiki/Install-Homebridge-on-Synology-DSM

That just a repository like SynoCommunity and others.  Emby already had its own repository at one time before switching to both a manual download and Synology store options. 

Edited by FrostByte

1 hour ago, ryan.brownell said:

I wouldn't say infinitely stalled. The review failed in October due to one platform sadly, and they are skipping November so our next chance is the December drop .

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

hello Luke,

I just find a brief manual install guide in website : https://emby.media/synology-server.html

but not find upgrade and uninstall emby server guide in synology platform,  just like this?

1. stop emby server in emby ui;

2. install from synology UI,  it will automatically override old version?

3. login emby ui, and start server

can you append manual update guides on you site or forum, an official step by step guide.

3 hours ago, zhaojys said:

hello Luke,

I just find a brief manual install guide in website : https://emby.media/synology-server.html

but not find upgrade and uninstall emby server guide in synology platform,  just like this?

1. stop emby server in emby ui;

2. install from synology UI,  it will automatically override old version?

3. login emby ui, and start server

can you append manual update guides on you site or forum, an official step by step guide.

Hi, what version do you have now?

1 hour ago, zhaojys said:

emby is 4.6.7.0, my synology ver is DSM7.

I have upgrade emby to 4.7.10.0 version manually by a post in forum.

just download a proper version, shutdown emby server, install emby on synology app center manually, it auto started after installation.

thank you, Luke! 

• Thanks 1