DVR: Multiple recordings of series' episodes

NicoLaz

NicoLaz

Hi all!

I'm on emby 4.7.5.0 and I'm encountering a strange problem since one of the last upgrades (I suspect the one to 4.7): for some (now all, read below) series, episodes get recorded multiple times despite having checked the "don't record episodes that already exist in my library" checkbox (yes, it's activated, I doublechecked on all jobs). When I look at the scheduled recordings, I notice that emby does not record the same episode twice if they are broadcasted on the same or a different stations as long as both airings are part of the guide data. The duplicated recordings are correctly safed to series' existing folder and are correctly listed as a new version of the already existing episode in my emby library after they were recorded, so matching after recording seems to work correctly as well. What does not work, is the pre-recording check with my library.

What I tried so far:

1. Deleted and recreated all affected recording jobs making => no change
  2. Re-identifying and refreshing of metadata of some affected series with option "replace all metadata" => no change
  3. Deleted and recreated my whole series library => that made it worse, now the double recording is affeecting ALL of my programmed series

I would be very gracious for timely help, as my recording schedule is now a mess and emby did already miss some new episodes because of re-recording of older ones.

Details about my configuration:

• Version: emby 4.7.5.0
  • Host: windows
  • Tuner: HDHomerun network tuner
  • Data source: Schedules Direct through XMLTV (because Emby guide data doesn't have my region)

I'm doing series recording for a while now and It did all work well for multiple years till one of the updates that came in lately. Nothing else changed.

What logfiles / data excerpts do you need to look into it?

Thank you very much!!!

NicoLaz

Anybody that can help? Maybe @Luke? If you need a logfile to analyze this, please give me direction what action to trigger (perhaps EPG refresh?) and whether advanced logging is needed.

What logfiles / data excerpts do you need to look into it?

Hi there, can you please provide a specific example, along with the server log from a recording? Thanks.

NicoLaz

Thank you for your reply! You mean a recording of an episode I already have in the library? Will do. I will also provide the XMLTV entry that belongs to it that lead to the recording. I reactivated one of the jobs, I just have to wait till tomorrow for the recording to happen.

NicoLaz

As a preparation, I already attached screens of the recording job, the recording schedule and my library listings for my example. As I mentioned, this now happens with all scheduled series' recordings - all configured the same way. I will post the log for the recording tomrrow evening. And please ignore the mixture of german and english - I just turned the app's language to english for the screens for the other board member's convenience.

recording job - config.jpg

recording job - schedule.jpg

library - episode list.jpg

library - episode.jpg

• Thanks 1

NicoLaz

Hi @Luke! Here is the complete log file from yesterday, containging the recording of the named example from "Young Sheldon" (S01E11). I also appended the screens showing the additional version now listed for the same episode in my library. Thank you for looking into it. Let me know, if you need something else.

library - episode v2.jpg

library - episode v2 versions.jpg

embyserver-63793440000.txt

• 2 months later...

Event if it's a bit late, I want to confirm that the issue is solved. A big thank you to the Emby team and @Luke!

Compared to the situation before the update, I still got occasional double recordings. I analyzed the cases when it still occured and I found out they only happened when episodes of one series being stored in different folders (e.g. one whith and one whithout the production year). After merging those folders manually, the issue was completely solved. Just in case somebody else has the same issue: cleaning up your folder structure is the solution 😉

Best
NicoLaz

Edited by NicoLaz
  • Thanks 1