Still have 70% or less success rate for recordings

CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy

I have two servers on different fiber ISPs. One on 4.8.0.3 beta and the other 4.7.5.0. Both on Linux.

Maybe the success rate is as low as 40% I think. I was using xTeVe and blamed that for failing recordings for months. I cut xTeVe out and went directly to HDHR and provider from both Emby servers and that didn't help at all, which really surprised me. The assumption may be that the provider is a mess but I also have the same exact results with the HDHR and OTA channels with strong signal. Also when watching the provider in VLC it doesn't hiccup.

Recently I read a post that said ffmpeg's interactions with IPTV servers could be to blame and that TVHeadend as a proxy could improve reliability of IPTV in Emby and Plex. I set it up exactly as described on the server with Emby Beta and honestly I think it improves channels freezing while watching live, but it's hard to say just yet. However the recording function in Emby is still just unusable for me. I scheduled 9am EST recordings of Wimbledon finals and also the F1 race. Both failed to start. Both channels played just fine when I play them live. I watched both events live with no issue at all. Yesterdays test recordings were 50/50, today I'm 0 for 3.

This is partly feedback and I can submit logs again if that would help. But I just can't think of anything else left to blame in either setup. Is anyone doing better?

If I use TVHeadend to record instead, is there still a plugin?  Can I schedule them inside Emby?

I'm using the 'pass' profile in TVH currently, BTW.

Edited by CharlieMurphy

Spaceboy

very rare that i have a failed OTA recording. maybe 1/100.

i use a very reliable iptv provider and failure rate there is probably 1/20

• Thanks 1

CharlieMurphy

I'm just at a loss. When I started with Live TV on Emby I had set up comskip and was excited. 3 years later and I encourage my GF to just wait on an Internet release of a show just because I'm so tired of her disappointment of half a recording, or none at all. Now thinking of myself eagerly setting up comskip years ago seems kinda sad.

Anyway the provider has been playing perfectly since I started playing it. Quantum IPTV is aware of when it's being observed I guess.

I think next steps are to try recording with alternate software just to see what happens.

jachin99

The only time I have recordings issues is when a drive is full.  Are you sure you don't have any storage issues?  On a typical day I have at least 9ne or two recordings from my hdhr prime

CharlieMurphy

Good idea but nothing storage related yet as far as I can tell. I've had my transcode folder fill but that's a different drive and it has been a very log time since. With IPTV there have been a whole host of errors and reasons. It probably is the provider but everyone on there says Tivimate what they use and it's solid for them. But maybe Tivimate handles imperfect streams and recovers better? Maybe I should look for a different provider.

The most recent failure I had is a freeze in Emby with the IPTV provider. TVHeadend log said, "Service01: H264 @ #256 Continuity counter error".

And then HDHR i don't know. I have an outdoor antenna and an LTE filter, I plan to move it higher just to rule that out.

KegTapper

I have TiviMate setup to record to SMB which Emby points to as well. I rarely record with TiviMate as I find it less reliable than Emby.  Unless it's sports I mostly use sonarr now

jachin99

Is the computer used for anything else.  Going back to drive issues, I noticed that if I play a computer game that is installed on the same drive as my TV buffer, I have issues with emby.  I had to separate the two.  Its not a typical drive issue but it is something to consider.