Community Metadata Website Recommendations?

Hawkwinter

Hawkwinter

Is there somewhere to host community-made metadata files that you guys are aware of? Like, a website where people can share sets of customized NFO files and images - or partial set, that only selectively override what you would scrape from tvdb/tmdb? I've been customizing a fair bit of mine. Sometimes custom image sets, sometimes a whole folder, or making a series of movies into a "Show", or the like. Sometimes adding metadata to fanedits. I'd be happy to share the metadata with other people as I change my own server.

Obviously different people like to organize their collections different ways, like how I don't care to separate films and shows, and prefer to use a "Show" setup for each franchise (each library is a broad genre). If Emby could handle epubs, cbrs/cbz, and PDFs, all my comics and ebooks and RPG Books would be getting loaded into Emby as well. But sadly, Emby does not do book formats - I have yet to find a good Emby-For-Ebooks to run on my media server.

A random example - Nobody is going to get this same kind of setup by just using the auto-scraper (though the auto scraper was part of my process. I grabbed as much as possible with it before I started tweaking and organizing). These custom setups were rather un-shareable in Plex, but thanks to nfo files and images in folders, the same cannot be said for my custom setups in Emby. I could zip up the folder and leave out the video files, and womeone else could plug in their own videos and go.

image.thumb.png.de80c5875312835d9f26fc8781a90fbe.png

image.thumb.png.a2aed12bd6510ae034292f8b8e6cb492.png

Another example: An audiobook trilogy, as part of a broad "Forgotten Realms" audiobook "TV Show" (the main page of which still looks ugly, I just started loading things into this one today).
image.thumb.png.28551befa370536b422a4ecf66df6022.png

So - have you guys come across a website for sharing community made metadata sets and the like? Are there multiples worth comparing? If yes, which ones do you prefer and why?

Thanks guys.

Edited by Hawkwinter

GrimReaper
21 minutes ago, Hawkwinter said:

Is there somewhere to host community-made metadata files that you guys are aware of? Like, a website where people can share sets of customized NFO files and images - or partial set, that only selectively override what you would scrape from tvdb/tmdb? I've been customizing a fair bit of mine. Sometimes custom image sets, sometimes a whole folder, or making a series of movies into a "Show", or the like. Sometimes adding metadata to fanedits. I'd be happy to share the metadata with other people as I change my own server.

I reckon @mickle026 is doing something very similar - if not exactly the same - with his Custom Provider plugin (though his plugin is much more ambitious in scope), you might approach him and possibly combine your resources. Over time, some more users might join, I could see it potentally develop as an alternative to standard scrapers. 

Edited by GrimReaper
  • Like 1

Hawkwinter
6 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

I reckon @mickle026 is doing something very similar - if not exactly the same - with his Custom Provider plugin, you might approach him and possibly combine your resources.

I'm not in a position to make such a website if one doesn't exist - I was merely thinking someone else might like my datasets I've been making for my own use, so maybe I could share them. But mickle's tool for backing up actors does sound interesting, to me - I will definitely read through that thread when I'm more awake.

I do know I have a bunch of "Writers" who are actually novelists (manual metadata), or whom tmdb/imdb/tvdb didn't pick up because they're Asian actors and I had to get a picture from mydramalist or the like.

I'm guessing you've not heard of such a user-metadata website?

Edited by Hawkwinter

GrimReaper
2 minutes ago, Hawkwinter said:

mickle's tool for backing up actors

It is much more than backing up actors (that's the old plugin and @mickle026 should really make another thread for current iteration of his Custom Provider plugin 😉), it literally includes what you're after: another scraper (mickle's own) in addition to usual set of scrapers from where users can download all kinds of metadata/artwork.

5 minutes ago, Hawkwinter said:

Nope, not familiar, but someone else might chime in. 

• Like 1

mickle026
On 10/07/2022 at 07:31, GrimReaper said:

It is much more than backing up actors (that's the old plugin and @mickle026 should really make another thread for current iteration of his Custom Provider plugin 😉), it literally includes what you're after: another scraper (mickle's own) in addition to usual set of scrapers from where users can download all kinds of metadata/artwork.

Nope, not familiar, but someone else might chime in. 

Thanks for the plug ...

I have actually been doing this.

My original plugin started just to fix bad actor images born from frustration when tmdb moved the location of their images and updated their website, along my journey my plugin grew and grew and grew.  I also could not program in c# when i started.  I have had to learn that on the fly, and am still learning it. 

My custom provider plugin already sort of does this, but it is in need of updating which I am doing slowly. There are issues with it, that will get resolved eventually.  I am starting to re-write it from base up so that it behaves as it should (so i have a sperate bare bones build in progress).  The are things my Custom Provider plugin does that I dont think other plugins do at the moment is fetch individual music track images, not just the album cover.  Fixes TV Channel logos, by removing them and allowing them to repopulate on tv guide refresh.... Theres a whole lot more...

I am currently distracted a little by doing a seperate metadata plugin for adult content (XXX Movies),  This is working brilliantly, although I am still testing it and trying to improve it.  I have not shared that yet.  It has a massive archive of about 120,000 dvd titles at the moment which it does not scrape, it gets them from my own built database hosted on my own server.  Just xml metadata and a jpg poster.

Eventually I am going to do this for almost everything, ie ebooks, artists, albums, tracks, actors, series covers, tv show covers etc.....

I am still debating with my self whether or not to branch that away from Custom Provider and keep that as it was originally going to be...  we will see.

I will be wanting a few people to test my adult movie plugin soon.  It currently does the poster image, metadata and actors - however no images or metadata for the actors just yet, just the place holder cards (it will happen though)

On 10/07/2022 at 07:25, Hawkwinter said:

I'm not in a position to make such a website if one doesn't exist - I was merely thinking someone else might like my datasets I've been making for my own use, so maybe I could share them. But mickle's tool for backing up actors does sound interesting, to me - I will definitely read through that thread when I'm more awake.

I do know I have a bunch of "Writers" who are actually novelists (manual metadata), or whom tmdb/imdb/tvdb didn't pick up because they're Asian actors and I had to get a picture from mydramalist or the like.

Definately read it properly, it isnt perfect, and yes im definately interested in datasets ....  There is loads of data available through the custom provider plugin, dont expect to browse on the website though, im not too good at php and html.

Edited by mickle026
  • Like 1

Hawkwinter
7 hours ago, mickle026 said:

Thanks for the plug ...

I have actually been doing this.

My original plugin started just to fix bad actor images born from frustration when tmdb moved the location of their images and updated their website, along my journey my plugin grew and grew and grew.  I also could not program in c# when i started.  I have had to learn that on the fly, and am still learning it. 

My custom provider plugin already sort of does this, but it is in need of updating which I am doing slowly. There are issues with it, that will get resolved eventually.  I am starting to re-write it from base up so that it behaves as it should (so i have a sperate bare bones build in progress).  The are things my Custom Provider plugin does that I dont think other plugins do at the moment is fetch individual music track images, not just the album cover.  Fixes TV Channel logos, by removing them and allowing them to repopulate on tv guide refresh.... Theres a whole lot more...

I am currently distracted a little by doing a seperate metadata plugin for adult content (XXX Movies),  This is working brilliantly, although I am still testing it and trying to improve it.  I have not shared that yet.  It has a massive archive of about 120,000 dvd titles at the moment which it does not scrape, it gets them from my own built database hosted on my own server.  Just xml metadata and a jpg poster.

Eventually I am going to do this for almost everything, ie ebooks, artists, albums, tracks, actors, series covers, tv show covers etc.....

I am still debating with my self whether or not to branch that away from Custom Provider and keep that as it was originally going to be...  we will see.

I will be wanting a few people to test my adult movie plugin soon.  It currently does the poster image, metadata and actors - however no images or metadata for the actors just yet, just the place holder cards (it will happen though)

Definately read it properly, it isnt perfect, and yes im definately interested in datasets ....  There is loads of data available through the custom provider plugin, dont expect to browse on the website though, im not too good at php and html.

That's neat.

Though not being able to browse it will make it hard if there's more than one option for the same content, like MCU with each object separate vs one giant MCU show in chronological order, vs one giant MCU show by air date.

I don't have an adult dvd collection, so I can't help you test to make sure that works correctly. But when you get to audiobooks and the like, I have lots of those.

Scraping data audiobooks and novels and webnovels sounds great if you ever have a dataset for those or you get set up to scrape from goodreads and novelupdates and audible and amazon.

> Ebooks
Can Emby do ebooks? I thought it couldn't. I currently transfer my epubs and pdfs and cbr/cbz between devices using a USB stick. It's a nuisance.

>Music
Currently still using a mix of Youtube (not YT Music, it's not on YT Music). Spotify (only a bit is on there but its convenient and my wife likes it when it is on there; and an old Plex server I start up occasionally to listen to stuff that I can't access elsewhere, mostly stuff ripped from old soundtracks or defunct metal bands from 20-30 years ago. I should probably start to port that all to Emby - I just haven't done it yet.

Edited by Hawkwinter

mickle026
4 hours ago, Hawkwinter said:

That's neat.

Though not being able to browse it will make it hard if there's more than one option for the same content, like MCU with each object separate vs one giant MCU show in chronological order, vs one giant MCU show by air date.

I don't have an adult dvd collection, so I can't help you test to make sure that works correctly. But when you get to audiobooks and the like, I have lots of those.

Scraping data audiobooks and novels and webnovels sounds great if you ever have a dataset for those or you get set up to scrape from goodreads and novelupdates and audible and amazon.

> Ebooks
Can Emby do ebooks? I thought it couldn't. I currently transfer my epubs and pdfs and cbr/cbz between devices using a USB stick. It's a nuisance.

>Music
Currently still using a mix of Youtube (not YT Music, it's not on YT Music). Spotify (only a bit is on there but its convenient and my wife likes it when it is on there; and an old Plex server I start up occasionally to listen to stuff that I can't access elsewhere, mostly stuff ripped from old soundtracks or defunct metal bands from 20-30 years ago. I should probably start to port that all to Emby - I just haven't done it yet.

Meant audio books :)

mickle026

There is actually no good reason that ebooks are not supported other than the dev hasnt chosen to do it, or at least epub.  epub is just basically zipped html. Emby server already sends html to the Emby client.  There is a good explanation here  https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14562580/how-do-i-display-epub-format-book-in-pure-html5-css-jquery.

So other than some navigation coding to use a tv remote, unzip the ebook on the fly and read the whole page into a div container etc, it would display as tv pages just like embys interface.

Its probably a little more complicated than that in practice, but its definately something they could do.

Hawkwinter
11 hours ago, mickle026 said:

There is actually no good reason that ebooks are not supported other than the dev hasnt chosen to do it, or at least epub.  epub is just basically zipped html. Emby server already sends html to the Emby client.  There is a good explanation here  https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14562580/how-do-i-display-epub-format-book-in-pure-html5-css-jquery.

So other than some navigation coding to use a tv remote, unzip the ebook on the fly and read the whole page into a div container etc, it would display as tv pages just like embys interface.

Its probably a little more complicated than that in practice, but its definately something they could do.

Yeah - even if it downloaded it to my device for me to open in Moon Reader (for google voice TTS) - that would be fine too. FYI - CBR/CBZ are just zipped folders of images, and they're showing images on Emby already too.

Reading PDFs would take more work.

Hawkwinter
22 hours ago, mickle026 said:

Meant audio books :)

I'd be up to test that. Busy thanks to a new baby - but I'd be up to give that a bit of a try, for sure.

My current Emby Audiobook workflow is:

• Convert book to m4b format.
  • Swap cover in a tag editor for the actual cover of the book.
  • Rename to .mp4
  • Import as episodes in a TV library.
  • Rename stuff and set sort title.
  • Collect the metadata from Goodreads + the relevant Wiki + Amazon.
  • Maybe make custom images in photoshop and import them.