Cinema Mode and MB Intros

iam4uk

iam4uk

Recently installed the MB Intros plugin, and like it in principle (am not currently using it because it effectively disables the new player interface in MB Classic, which I have grown to prefer).

With the new Server beta 3.0.5387, I configured Cinema Mode.  I cannot get it to operate in MB Classic, although MB Intros is not active (that is, no Intro content is set to play in the configuration of MB Intros that applies to this User).

Must MB Intros be uninstalled for Cinema Mode to function, or should it be enough for MB Intros to not be set to play anything?

It probably has to be uninstalled.  But, the cinema mode will behave exactly the same way with respect to MBC playback.  Have you tried the MBC beta?

iam4uk

It probably has to be uninstalled.  But, the cinema mode will behave exactly the same way with respect to MBC playback.  Have you tried the MBC beta?

Uninstalled MB Intros.

Cinema Mode did work after unstalling MB Intros, and Cinema Mode did revert the playback interface, as MB Intros did.

I am on the "beta" channel for MBC, currently using 3.0.214.0.

Do you expect the enhanced player interface and MB Intros (or Cinema Mode) can be made to work together?

Well, try with the next beta.  I think it may be hit or miss on this.  There is no way (that I've found) to programmatic-ally force WMC out of full screen mode.

The ultimate solution here will be if/when I figure out how to make the intros play in the new interface. 

• Like 1

@@iam4uk would you mind updating to the dev version of MBC I just put up (215) and trying that out.  I re-worked intro playback so that they use the custom interface (if defined) as well.  It is a big enough change that I don't want to make it beta until some people have banged on it a bit.  Thanks.

iam4uk

@@iam4uk would you mind updating to the dev version of MBC I just put up (215) and trying that out.  I re-worked intro playback so that they use the custom interface (if defined) as well.  It is a big enough change that I don't want to make it beta until some people have banged on it a bit.  Thanks.

That worked.  The intro trailer and "random" video in my specified folder played with the custom interface, as did the main feature.  Cinema Mode selected; MB Intros uninstalled.

iam4uk

Thanks.  The same thing should happen with MB Intros.

Almost.  MB Intros does use the custom interface now; however, it also effectively locks up the proceedings and prevents playing the movie. 

The setup I have for MB Intros is...

1.  Play a specific video file on my server.

2.  Play 2 new trailers.

3.  Play the applicable sound trailer.

4.  Play the movie.

Step 1 works.

Step 2... the first trailer plays video, but no audio.  At the end of the first trailer, the screen goes black, and MB Classic will respond to either a stop command (taking the user back to the movie info screen) or a close program command (taking the user back to the desktop).

I don't think that has anything to do with MB Intros.  More likely it was a streaming or transcoding error with the specific item attempting to be played.

From the MBC playback perspective, the two methods are identical.  MB Intros just allows you to play more things.

iam4uk

Could be, ebr, but it was consistent behavior. Every different trailer had the same result. Disabled that part of the MB Intros sequence, and it worked fine.

iam4uk

Will test that tonight.

In all sequences tried so far, that specific first video played and handed off properly to the next item in sequence.

iam4uk

Correct. No audio for the first new movie trailer (random), which was part of step 2. Step 1, the specific video on my server, plays properly, as noted.

Right so I'm just wondering if maybe the switch in codecs that may be necessary between that first item and the trailers might be causing an issue.

iam4uk

Could be. I can control the CODECs for steps 1 and 3, but not the streaming/downloading movie trailers in step 2.

Also, please try updating to MBC 216.  I just discovered another server change was impacting trailer playback in MBC.

iam4uk

I will test sequencing, inclusion/exclusion, and build 216 tonight, and report to you what I observe. Thanks again for continuing to make MediaBrowser a superlative interface and experience.

[Applauds ebr]

• Like 1

iam4uk

With Build 216, the trailers seem to work properly.  Sequencing is not a factor.  I did notice that some of my downloaded trailers were .mp4 and some were .mov format.  Not sure about the formats of streamed trailers from online.  If it were a CODEC problem before, I cannot replicate it with Build 216 anyway.

jluce50

Just curious, is there any chance that the rating restriction might be added to MB Intros? I really like the fine-grained control I get over the intros with MB Intros, but this one feature is the only thing lacking.

Barring that, are there plans to add more control in Cinema Mode (adding multiple custom intros, specifying order, etc.)?

With Build 216, the trailers seem to work properly.  Sequencing is not a factor.  I did notice that some of my downloaded trailers were .mp4 and some were .mov format.  Not sure about the formats of streamed trailers from online.  If it were a CODEC problem before, I cannot replicate it with Build 216 anyway.

Awesome.  Thanks.

Just curious, is there any chance that the rating restriction might be added to MB Intros? I really like the fine-grained control I get over the intros with MB Intros, but this one feature is the only thing lacking.

Barring that, are there plans to add more control in Cinema Mode (adding multiple custom intros, specifying order, etc.)?

MB Intros already has the rating restriction implemented.  The problem is most trailers are not rated.