Chromecast w/ GoogleTV suddenly transcoding AAC 7.1

SamuelWinsor

SamuelWinsor

@Trevor68 I’m just going to turn auto-updates off for the apps in the meantime so it doesn’t update. Worst impact from that is just updating my other apps before use or before I go to bed. Small price to pay. 

SamuelWinsor

@Luke Pleased to say that update to the standard Android app is back to Direct Playing 7.1 audio without the need to remux or transcode. However, the standard app is still so sluggish and unwieldy on the Chromecast that I’ll continue to stick with version 2.0.70g of the Emby for Android TV app for now. If you guys do whatever you did to resolve the playback issue in the standard app update in the next Android TV update, we’ll be right as rain. Thanks again. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
jellis413

I just thought I would post a follow-up to my findings on this (I was finally able to try some different things last night).  My devices are:  Nvidia Shield Pro, 2020 Sony LED TV and a 2021 Sony OLED TV.  All running Android TV.  My Emby settings do not allow users to transcode as all devices should be capable of Direct Play (changed below for testing).  Emby for Android TV 2.0.77g, Emby on a Windows Server, the Nvidia Shield was the most tested device.

Media tests:
4k HDR and 4K Dolby Vision with DD 5.1+Atmos:  all direct play just fine

4k HDR with AAC7.1 (same file used for all tests, tried multiple times on each device): 
Transcoding turned off:  It does not play, Too many errors message
Allow Audio and Video Transcoding:  Both audio and video transcode; Video looks "washed out" (I dont have tone mapping turned on).  
Allow Audio Transcoding only (turn off video transcoding):  Audio transcodes, video direct plays just fine

Based on the advice of various threads, I side-loaded the Emby for Android ARM version (official, not beta). Left the settings the same (allow audio transcoding, do NOT allow video transcoding):  Audio transcodes, video direct plays

Went back to Emby for Android TV version (it just seems like the transitions between screens/items are "smoother" - I dont want to say the other is laggy, but there is definitely a difference that I cant seem to put into words).  I left the regular Android version installed (didnt un-install it)

The same file above (4k HDR, AAC7.1) now shows direct play for video AND audio.  I tested a couple other 1080p and 4k files with AAC7.1 with the same results (direct play both audio and video).

I am assuming that some shared DLL (yeah, I dont know much about Android and am using Microsoft Windows terminology, but maybe it is the same concept) got updated/changed with the Emby for Android that allowed the Emby for Android TV to direct play like it did before the update.

I was able to duplicate the tests and results on all 3 Android TV devices and they all had the same result.  I did not go back and turn off Allow Audio Transcoding to see the results but will try that when I get a chance.  Not sure if this helps anyone else or if the results would be the same for others, but I thought I would report my findings.

• Agree 1

@jellis413 I cannot explain your results.  There are no shared components between apps.

Are you sure your TV app did not update to .78?

jellis413

Hmm, I will double check tonight, but I BELIEVE it was .77 (I was looking at the streams info on my phone), but that is pulling from memory that may not be accurate. Actually I just checked the logs and no, it was .77g.  Snippet from the log when I was testing the theory on the 2020 LED TV this morning

2022-08-04 07:38:12.994 Info SessionManager: Playback start reported by app AndroidTv 2.0.77g 

Leave it to my stuff to make you scratch your head and say "things that make you go hmm...".  I will do some more testing over the weekend just to make sure the results are consistent. And if they do not share anything, I have zero explanation (not that I should be trying to explain any programming stuff anyway..haha).  Have a good one, I will report back once I can get back into it some more.

• 4 weeks later...
NightFox1989

I can confirm that this bug is still present in version 2.0.79g on a Chromcast 4 with Google TV. 

When a video file has AAC 7.1 it will abort the direct play and forces the transcoding of both the video and the audio. 

19 hours ago, NightFox1989 said:

When a video file has AAC 7.1 it will abort the direct play and forces the transcoding of both the video and the audio. 

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

RanmaCanada
On 26/08/2022 at 15:46, NightFox1989 said:

I can confirm that this bug is still present in version 2.0.79g on a Chromcast 4 with Google TV. 

I can confirm even with a NEW install of Emby server this is happening across ALL my users and their Fire Devices.  TruHD 7.1 will direct play, but AAC 7.1 absolutely refuses and forces a complete transcode.  I've included my server log (large because of fresh library scan do to other issue with backup plugin), my hardware detection log, and all the ffmpeg logs.  The test movie was Ready Player One.

7.1 AAC is broken on Android.7z

23 minutes ago, RanmaCanada said:

I can confirm even with a NEW install of Emby server this is happening across ALL my users and their Fire Devices.  TruHD 7.1 will direct play, but AAC 7.1 absolutely refuses and forces a complete transcode.  I've included my server log (large because of fresh library scan do to other issue with backup plugin), my hardware detection log, and all the ffmpeg logs.  The test movie was Ready Player One.

7.1 AAC is broken on Android.7z 4.84 MB · 0 downloads

What version number did you install?

RanmaCanada
49 minutes ago, Luke said:

What version number did you install?

Latest version right from the setup.exe and then the update that was pushed through.  I can also confirm that my Roku transcodes the audio as well, but not the video, where as the FireTV is transcoding both video and audio.

RanmaCanada
9 minutes ago, Luke said:

Can you try sideloading the latest version of our standard android app and let us know how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

The latest update does have a multi-channel aac fix, so it's possible that will help with this.

I can confirm, at least on my firestick 4k Max, that with this sideloaded app the issue is resolved.

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, RanmaCanada said:

I can confirm, at least on my firestick 4k Max, that with this sideloaded app the issue is resolved.

Thank you.

Excellent, thanks !

• 3 months later...
RanmaCanada

Any idea when this 7.1 aac audio fix is going to be pushed?  Most of my 4k files are 7.1 aac and it is making viewing of them pointless as the entire file gets transcoded.  I can't even watch a movie at a friend's house because it just transcodes and we loose the HDR.  I can't ask my friends and family to sideload the Android App as most of them are clueless when it comes to these things.

54 minutes ago, RanmaCanada said:

Any idea when this 7.1 aac audio fix is going to be pushed?  Most of my 4k files are 7.1 aac and it is making viewing of them pointless as the entire file gets transcoded.  I can't even watch a movie at a friend's house because it just transcodes and we loose the HDR.  I can't ask my friends and family to sideload the Android App as most of them are clueless when it comes to these things.

We're hoping to get the standard app into the store for TV devices soon. Thanks.

RanmaCanada
5 hours ago, Luke said:

We're hoping to get the standard app into the store for TV devices soon. Thanks.

Thanks for the update.  It's just frustating that this is happening constantly when there is a FireTV update and then it takes months to resolve.  I can easily fix my app issues but most of my friends and family can't.  

seanbuff

@ebr the AAC 7.1 fix was implemented back in Aug

2.0.80 (23 Aug)

• Tweak some Exo settings
  • Exo fix for AAC 7.1

Any reason why the Fire TV stable app is still stuck on 2.0.79a while ATV stable is at 2.0.83g? I always thought the Android and Amazon store apps were inline.

14 hours ago, seanbuff said:

@ebr the AAC 7.1 fix was implemented back in Aug

Any reason why the Fire TV stable app is still stuck on 2.0.79a while ATV stable is at 2.0.83g? I always thought the Android and Amazon store apps were inline.

We try to keep them that way, but sometimes the review process for one can take significantly longer than the other.

• 3 months later...
RanmaCanada
On 05/12/2022 at 13:48, Luke said:

We try to keep them that way, but sometimes the review process for one can take significantly longer than the other.

Any update on this, as firesticks are still having issues with 7.1 aac and it's annoying that I and none of my friends and family can't watch any 4k content that has 7.1 aac, as it breaks and forces a full transcode with tone mapping.

38 minutes ago, RanmaCanada said:

Any update on this, as firesticks are still having issues with 7.1 aac and it's annoying that I and none of my friends and family can't watch any 4k content that has 7.1 aac, as it breaks and forces a full transcode with tone mapping.

Have you been able to install the side load build?

RanmaCanada
On 20/03/2023 at 23:16, Luke said:

Have you been able to install the side load build?

As I stated before, I can load it perfectly fine, but my friends and family are literally too stupid with technology to be able to do it themselves and I can not do it for them as some of them live across the country.  Is there any ETA as to when everyone will have a proper fix, or is this something where we have to take it into our own hands? This has been 6+ months.  Are we waiting on Amazon?

• 2 months later...
cjkbarnett

I am experiencing this same issue as well. Chromecast with google tv, everything up to date. ACC 7.1 content will fail to play, unless audio is transcoded. Super weird, and standard Android app sideloaded does not seem to want to play either without transcoding. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cjkbarnett said:

I am experiencing this same issue as well. Chromecast with google tv, everything up to date. ACC 7.1 content will fail to play, unless audio is transcoded. Super weird, and standard Android app sideloaded does not seem to want to play either without transcoding. 

@cjkbarnett

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!