New audio experience now streaming on Netflix

Gilgamesh_48

Yup I'm sure it will be a new thing we'll have to be able to handle.

visproduction

Sennheiser site says: "as a drop-in replacement for stereo."
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/ambeo-spatial-audio

It looks like surround is simulated, perhaps with phase shifting.  So output is just to stereo.  I don't think there is any processing needed.  This solution is more for people who don't have surround-sound.

I personally don't like phase shifting to achieve any audio spatial placement, because the effect will be different when you move around in the room.  I can tell phase shifting is happening, just by turning my head.  The volume of any tone goes up and down just because your ears move to a different position where the phases cancel out slightly differently.  The effect of phase shifting to simulate surround sound positions is like sitting 10 rows back in a concert hall with a full orchestra and you lean to your right and suddenly the violins, normally on your left, now sound like they are coming from the horn section on the right.  Discreet as possible full surround has got to be better.  But, I have not yet listened to Season 4 with stereo only speakers.

In any case, I don't think any special processing on Emby's side is needed.  It's stereo.  It goes to two speakers.  What else is there to do?