have to play twice after FF

justinrh

lightning302
38 minutes ago, ebr said:

If you wait a couple seconds until the mini OSD disappears after your seeks, does it then start going again on the first press?

No, adding delay does not seem to make any difference.
Also tried waiting a minute, just to be sure.  No difference.

And as before, the server dashboard indicates that the 'skip rewind' will unpause the video, while the client remains paused.
The first unpause press shows the video now paused on the server dashboard, client remains paused
The second unpause press shows both server and client unpaused.

Just curious, have you been able to reproduce this on a firetv stick?

thanks.

19 minutes ago, lightning302 said:

Just curious, have you been able to reproduce this on a firetv stick?

Only if I do it quickly - before the OSD disappears.

Exactly what buttons are you using for all operations?

lightning302
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Only if I do it quickly - before the OSD disappears.

Exactly what buttons are you using for all operations?

Good question.  I use the wheel and unlabeled 'okay' button in the center.
Although when the issue first came up I tried using the buttons below labeled Play/Pause and Rewind, with no difference.

I just tried repeating on 2.0.78a with the Play/Pause and Rewind buttons, no difference.

Other thoughts.
On 2.0.70a, it doesn't matter how quickly I run through the sequence, the equipment can always keep up.

Several people mentioned a thumbnail mode.  I do not think I have this enabled, since I see no thumbnail while skipping forward or backward.  Could this be causing a difference?  How do I enable it?

Could a difference in server be giving us different results?
I am running version 4.7.5.0 on windows 7.  It was first installed Dec 2019.
My files are not local, they are on a read-only nas.
I have been using a small (<30min) mp4 (h264/aac) file for testing, but it happens on every file I have tried, avi as well.

thanks

FrostByte
1 hour ago, lightning302 said:

Several people mentioned a thumbnail mode.  I do not think I have this enabled, since I see no thumbnail while skipping forward or backward.  Could this be causing a difference?  How do I enable it?

If you want preview thumbnails, you will need to go to each library you want them for and change your options to something like my pic.  Stuff already added will need to be refreshed to create them.  v.78 fixed the issue if using thumbs only it seems.  It may take a while the first time, but after that it isn't too bad.

image.jpeg.1f6bf30389b68975a9690fc6d658b215.jpeg

lightning302
5 hours ago, FrostByte said:

If you want preview thumbnails, you will need to go to each library you want them for and change your options to something like my pic.  Stuff already added will need to be refreshed to create them.  v.78 fixed the issue if using thumbs only it seems.  It may take a while the first time, but after that it isn't too bad.

Sorry, I DO have this setting enabled.  I thought there might be a separate client setting.  Regardless, thanks for cleaning it up.

The only time I see thumbnails is when I hit up on the directional wheel.
This gives me thumbnails of each of the chapter markers in the file, which I can select and jump to.
If no markers exist the jumps are placed 5 minutes apart.
Its a great feature that I hope gets added to the android app.

I did some more testing.
All of my prior tests were with a single button press for forward/backwards skip.
But I get a different behavior if I hold the forward/backward buttons down.

If I pause, then hold forward/backward for several skips, I DO see the thumbnails and it WILL unpause with a single button press.
This works the same forward or backward and with either set of buttons (wheel vs labeled).

However, I have a library with thumbnails disabled, just for testing library file scans.
If I try pausing and then long-press forward/backward, on media without thumbnails, it still takes TWO unpause button presses.

I hope this is useful information.

thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Okay, so if I understand the basic situation, it is:

1. You are watching something and SO rattles off something in your ear
  2. You hit the "ok" button to pause the video
  3. SO finishes thought or runs out of breath or whatever ;) 
  4. You hit the left arrow once to back up 10 seconds
  5. You then hit "ok" again but nothing happens so you do it a second time and the video goes

If that is correct, between 4 and 5 does the mini OSD stay on the screen or does it fade away after a few seconds?

Q-Droid
54 minutes ago, ebr said:

5. You then hit "ok" again but nothing happens so you do it a second time and the video goes

If that is correct, between 4 and 5 does the mini OSD stay on the screen or does it fade away after a few seconds?

Just as an FYI, on the Shield this is consistent whether the OSD itself is used, the circle and OK buttons, or the discrete FF, REW and Play buttons on a Harmony Smart/Hub remote.

It doesn't matter if the OSD is on screen or not. And if it is then as long as the right OSD icon is highlighted if/when using OK button.

• Agree 1

justinrh
On 7/27/2022 at 8:13 AM, ebr said:

But I'm also just curious on your workflow... why are you pausing before the FF?

I'll tell you, but you have to promise not to dismiss this bug because you think it is unorthodox or whatever!

I do it for two reasons:
1) It avoids the audio sync issue after the FF is done.
2) It is nice to shut up the loud commercials while I make my way to the end of them.

lightning302
5 hours ago, ebr said:

That is correct, although to be fair, step 1 is mostly caused by SC (screaming child).

Between steps 4 and 5, the OSD will fade away in a few seconds.  No thumbnail is shown.
Using multiple short-press skips does the same thing.
However, if I long-press the skip button for multiple frames, the OSD does not fade, thumbnail is shown and only one unpause is needed.

Since you haven't been able to recreate, please feel free to offload testing to me.
I also have a shield I can try testing on.
And if you feel the server might be at play, I can try creating a fresh install.

Key findings:
Server dashboard play/pause out of sync with the client after step 4.
Different behavior with short-press and long-press.

Can anyone else verify this?

thanks.

4 hours ago, Q-Droid said:

Just as an FYI, on the Shield this is consistent whether the OSD itself is used, the circle and OK buttons, or the discrete FF, REW and Play buttons on a Harmony Smart/Hub remote.

It doesn't matter if the OSD is on screen or not. And if it is then as long as the right OSD icon is highlighted if/when using OK button.

Are you using the latest beta of the app?

Q-Droid
44 minutes ago, ebr said:

Are you using the latest beta of the app?

I'm on the current stable release for the client and server. I tend to avoid beta unless it's to handle a major bug. This one is more of a quirk to me and I've been posting mostly to confirm and add a data point.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Q-Droid said:

I'm on the current stable release for the client and server. I tend to avoid beta unless it's to handle a major bug. This one is more of a quirk to me and I've been posting mostly to confirm and add a data point.

Okay.  The situation you are reporting has been corrected in the latest beta.  The only remaining issue is with pausing and then seeking while paused.

• Like 2

lightning302
On 7/31/2022 at 7:06 AM, ebr said:

Okay.  The situation you are reporting has been corrected in the latest beta.  The only remaining issue is with pausing and then seeking while paused.

Hi, I haven't heard any recent updates on this issue.  Is there anything I can do to help, like testing?

If you like, I could sideload some of the older beta's to determine which version this issue first appeared in.

thanks.

• Thanks 1