have to play twice after FF

justinrh

1 hour ago, FrostByte said:

This is why I say remove the need to press OK.

If you don't have thumbs, there is no need to press OK.

if I mash the FF I have to wait almost a minute or more sometimes before I can click OK.

This is with or without thumbs?  If with thumbs, the thumbnails should be sliding by as you hold the button down.  If no thumbs then no need to press OK at all.  

I'm going to block the ability to pause while the player is buffering which should stop you from getting yourself into the situation where you pause the video without really knowing it.

• Like 1

FrostByte
1 minute ago, ebr said:

This is with or without thumbs?  If with thumbs, the thumbnails should be sliding by as you hold the button down.  If no thumbs then no need to press OK at all.  

I'm going to block the ability to pause while the player is buffering which should stop you from getting yourself into the situation where you pause the video without really knowing it.

I'm using visual thumbs just like you mentioned in your testing.  

Thanks, that sounds like an even better solution while still allowing people who want/need that functionality.

Audiomixer

Well again, i have no thumbs yet i have to hit ok or select twice most of the time to resume playback on a long FF.

FrostByte
7 minutes ago, Audiomixer said:

Well again, i have no thumbs yet i have to hit ok or select twice most of the time to resume playback on a long FF.

Hopefully the solution is the same though.  ebr just hasn't been able to duplicate it without visual seeking

• Agree 1

FrostByte

What's odd though is why it takes ATV almost a minute to catch up after a long FF when the standard app starts immediately after letting go of FF.  If ATV found its place that quick, I don't think this would even be a problem of people clicking Play/Pause while waiting.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

FrostByte
48 minutes ago, ebr said:

Is clicking the OK too quickly causing the Pause then?  Because when I just OK without waiting the 60 seconds it just sits there forever.  I'm not even clicking the Play/Pause button.

It appears the OK is causing the pause when clicked too early because the timeline pops up like in the pic below which looks like it's paused.  

If I wait 60+ seconds, then it immediately plays

image.png.86038f720217ffd5c2f99eff3a5c50ba.png

It appears the OK is causing the pause when clicked too early because the timeline pops up like in the pic below which looks like it's paused.

Yes.  I explained that scenario way back in this thread and the changes I've made in .78 should account for it now.

Audiomixer
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Yes.  I explained that scenario way back in this thread and the changes I've made in .78 should account for it now.

Hasnt solved my issue. It is very hit or miss though.

Edited by Audiomixer

FrostByte
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Version .78 seems to have fixed the issue for people that are using visual seeking thumbs.  In fact, it seems to start as soon as I click OK now.  No waiting 60 seconds even after clicking OK.

justinrh

@ebr the first step is admitting you have a problem.  😉

Thumbs are not the issue.  This is a pure regression, and I've not before had a noticeable problem with buffering and it interfere with FF.

I'll repeat:
Play
Pause
tap FF
(now wait for a day or two if you wanna)
Play - nothing happens
Play again - it plays

• Haha 1
  • Agree 3

15 hours ago, justinrh said:

Play
Pause
tap FF

Hi.  That is by design.  If you were paused when you fast forwarded, the player will remain paused.

• Confused 1

justinrh

@ebr Please READ the whole workflow.  Man-o-man.  I might be dumb but I'm not a total idiot.  Now, move along to the play x2 part ... which is what this whole thread is about.

Audiomixer
2 hours ago, justinrh said:

@ebr Please READ the whole workflow.  Man-o-man.  I might be dumb but I'm not a total idiot.  Now, move along to the play x2 part ... which is what this whole thread is about.

Actually my work flow is slightly different but still the same as .77 essentially. I do not run thumbs.

Play
tap FF and hold
Play - nothing happens
Play again - it plays

• Agree 1

lightning302

I'm having the same problem.  Created an account just to chime in.
But first, I wanted to thank you for EMBY.  Being a new parent, its been a lifesaver for the whole family.

That said, 2.0.77a is driving me crazy.
To be clear, this has to do with the "skip" feature, where pushing forward skips 30 seconds forward and back skips 10 seconds backwards.
It only happens if I skip while the video is paused.  I can still skip normally while it is playing.

It only seems to affect my 4 FireTV sticks (three are 4k, one is the older model).
My Roku does not seem to be affected because it defaults to a thumbnail style seek/FF.  I do not know how to use skip on the Roku.
On the FireTV stick you need to press up on the wheel to get to the thumbnail FF method.  It is different than the Roku.  Rather than seeking, you select a thumbnail and click OK to jump there.  Regardless, it seems to work normally.

As a parent, I use the flow others have mentioned about a dozen times in an hour.
Pause video - take care of children
Return, tap the skip backwards button followed by unpause.
As mentioned, you have to unpause twice with this latest client.
But if you unpause first before skipping backwards it works normally.

I tried side loading the previous client, version 2.0.70a.  This fixed the issue for me.  But I know it is not a permanent fix.
During my debug I noticed something interesting.  If you watch the server dashboard while running the pause-skip-unpause flow you will see the following:
Pause - dashboard shows device has paused
Skip back - dashboard shows device has skipped back but now shows it playing.  dashboard time counter increments (but client is paused)
Unpause1 - dashboard shows device is paused again, time counter skips back to selected time
Unpause2 - dashboard shows device is unpaused (client unpauses and plays normally)

It seems like skipping back is unpausing on the server side but not on the client side.  Perhaps the double unpause is just client/server getting back into sync.
I really hope you can fix this issue.  I use the skip feature all the time.  In fact I invested in FireTV sticks partly because I like the EMBY skip interface better than the one used for the Roku.  The need to repeat video happens much more often than the need to seek/search.

One other issue I would like to mention for the FireTV stick on 2.0.77a.
Whenever I play an avi file (divx/xvid/ac3) it no longer transcodes the file.  Instead it uses directly play.
The FireTV sticks seem to hate this.
The 4K versions will play up to 35m47s then freeze or start jumping around to other frames, like FF seek.  If you try to jump further it returns to 35m47s and freezes.
The older FireTV stick doesn't want to play the file at all.
Selecting a lower bitrate to force transcoding fixes the problem.  Reverting to client 2.0.70a fixes the problem (transcodes by default).
I could not find a thread mentioning this issue.  If one exists could you please send me a link?

thank you.

16 hours ago, justinrh said:

I just wanted to be clear on that point since you took the effort to point it out.

Please try the beta release of the app.

But I'm also just curious on your workflow... why are you pausing before the FF?

7 hours ago, lightning302 said:

Whenever I play an avi file (divx/xvid/ac3) it no longer transcodes the file.  Instead it uses directly play.
The FireTV sticks seem to hate this.
The 4K versions will play up to 35m47s then freeze or start jumping around to other frames, like FF seek.  If you try to jump further it returns to 35m47s and freezes.
The older FireTV stick doesn't want to play the file at all.
Selecting a lower bitrate to force transcoding fixes the problem.  Reverting to client 2.0.70a fixes the problem (transcodes by default).

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

• Sad 1

lightning302
17 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

Sideloaded emby for android arm7, version 3.2.58.
FireTV stick version is 4K E9L29Y, Fire OS 6.2.9.1.

No issue with pause-skip-unpause.
Noticed that the skip for this android version is slightly different than the amazon app.  It shows a thumbnail when skipping.  Otherwise the functionality appears the same.
Noticed that the button-up thumbnail method of jumping around no longer exists.

The avi direct play issue still exists.
Behavior is the same as described before.
Only difference is that the android app does not seem to update the status (stats for nerds) to show the video is being transcoded when selecting a lower datarate.
Also noticed choppy playback that happens sometimes in both android and amazon apps. Sometimes stopping/starting will fix it. Unable to find any pattern to reproduce.

General comparison.
The stats for nerds popup does not seem to contain as much information and may not be correct.
Resume time is missing from the Resume button.
Also I missed having the "play from beginning" button available at the top level.  But at least its still available in the ... menu.
The amazon app seems to have a more polished layout which is better for tv/remote use.  I hope some of this makes it into the android app.

thanks

lightning302
18 hours ago, ebr said:

I just wanted to be clear on that point since you took the effort to point it out.

Please try the beta release of the app.

But I'm also just curious on your workflow... why are you pausing before the FF?

I cannot speak for other people.  But the reason I pause first is that there is no reason to rewind until the person talking shuts up.

5 hours ago, lightning302 said:

until the person talking shuts up

You are referring to the actual person in the room with you?

The avi direct play issue still exists.

These AVIs are all DIVX?

Sideloaded emby for android arm7, version 3.2.58.

Thank you for testing that app.  Can you also please side-load the beta of the TV app and see if it corrects the double-press issue?

Thanks.

lightning302
7 hours ago, ebr said:

These AVIs are all DIVX?

Thank you for testing that app.  Can you also please side-load the beta of the TV app and see if it corrects the double-press issue?

Thanks.

I tested with 3 movies.
Two were XVID, one was DIVX.
All were AC3 audio.
All were 2GB filesize, encoded from dvds.

No problem, I can check out the amazon beta.  Could you please send me a link? I haven't been able to find it with google.

thanks.

lightning302
7 hours ago, ebr said:

You are referring to the actual person in the room with you?

Correct.
I have filed a separate sighting for this issue in the appropriate forum, but am not expecting a resolution.

lightning302
9 hours ago, lightning302 said:

I tested with 3 movies.
Two were XVID, one was DIVX.
All were AC3 audio.
All were 2GB filesize, encoded from dvds.

No problem, I can check out the amazon beta.  Could you please send me a link? I haven't been able to find it with google.

thanks.

I was able to find a link for version 2.0.78a (25 July).  Let me know if this is correct.

All the issues mentioned before still exist
There does not appear to be any change in behavior vs 2.0.77a.

thanks.

8 hours ago, lightning302 said:

All the issues mentioned before still exist
There does not appear to be any change in behavior vs 2.0.77a.

If you wait a couple seconds until the mini OSD disappears after your seeks, does it then start going again on the first press?