have to play twice after FF

justinrh

7 hours ago, kikinjo said:

Playback is continuing as others already mentioned only if u press play button 2 times.

Then that is likely this situation:

On 7/11/2022 at 10:24 AM, ebr said:

You started the seek operation then hit the button to start playing, but the seek is still ongoing so you hit the button again (which put the player back in pause mode).  Now the seek finishes but nothing happens because you are still in pause and you hit the button one more time which re-starts playback.

kikinjo

Yes but this never happened before, before you did not have to press play after seeking..it was automatic.

17 minutes ago, kikinjo said:

Yes but this never happened before, before you did not have to press play after seeking..it was automatic.

And, if the scenario is as I described, you still don't - you just need to wait for the seek to finish.

Audiomixer
On 7/11/2022 at 11:27 AM, kikinjo said:

Unfortunately this is not happening for me. I tried waiting for 10 min...nothing. Also play button in this situation is visible, not the pause button that would be logical to see and playback would continue as we are expecting.

Exactly what i see too.

On 7/11/2022 at 10:11 AM, FrostByte said:

It isn't starting again though.  I can wait 30 mins and it never starts when it's done seeking.  It will sit there forever just like in my pic above unless I click Play.  If I click play too quickly is when there is a problem.

Anyway, I just sent another log user Rick at about 1300 EDT.  I clicked the >> on the remote while playing 1917 and FFing about 1.5 mins and it just sat there until I clicked the down arrow to send the log.  Doing it again right now with a very short jump and it's going on 15 mins and not starting. 

If i press forward for say 20 mins and release. Play will not resume automatically no matter how long i wait (i tried it, after 20 min i gave up waiting). I did not hit play once after releasing forward so i did not initiate pause. I must hit play twice to resume playback.

Edited by Audiomixer
  • Agree 1

Audiomixer

@ebrSent two logs on my above post at 3:16 pdt. S-diskstation user. First i FF while it was playing 20 or so minutes into the program, release the button and waited at least two minutes for it to start playing. It did not. Pressed play and pressed play again to start playback. Sent another log.

What i find interesting is that instead of holding down the FF button but repeatedly click (without a long press mixed in) it until i reach my desired time, playback is instantaneous. Log of this 3:25 pdt s-diskstation user.

Edited by Audiomixer

justinrh

This is not related to thumbnails.  Pause is not required to reproduce, but a long FF is if not using pause.  This is just a straight-up regression.

• Agree 1

justinrh

@ebr This is really annoying.  Any way you can help to encourage a fix for the next update?

• Agree 1

kikinjo

@ebr I can confirm that your theory does not stand. If i fast forward and ATV is stuck and does not resume playback.... You say that is still seeking..but i see on the OSD bar that seeking is done because buffer line is shown and ATV loaded / buffered a minute of the playback in future. So theory that it is seeking does not stand.

jriker1

I have a separate thread for my Shield however not sure if anyone else has noticed this but when I jump or fast forward I get these "stuck" situations but it's basically Emby switching from directplay to transcoding and sits for a while before it resumes.   In my case this seems to be the player which I've actually seen similar issues between Emby and another media tool that will not be named, however they have a beta version for Android TV that fixes all this and works great.

Q-Droid

Me three, same as OP. Even a single +30 or -10 skip while paused needs Play pressed twice to resume, 100% direct play mode.

• Agree 2

I think this is a timing issue and I'm not really sure why it is only now becoming a problem.  For those of you using thumb seeking, if you press the "ok"  button really quickly - that is don't hold it down at all, just down/up as fast as you can, does the video resume as you expect?

FrostByte

I can't even duplicate this today.  Tried clicking FF multiple times and also holding down the FF key.   If this is a timing issue why not just eliminate the need to click OK.  When it catches up it can then just automatically start.   

26 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

why not just eliminate the need to click OK

That is only necessary when thumbnail seeking and the rationale was explained above.

FrostByte
Just now, ebr said:

That is only necessary when thumbnail seeking and the rationale was explained above.

Ya, I read that already, but it doesn't seem necessary as other apps don't and they don't have the issue.  

Just now, FrostByte said:

but it doesn't seem necessary

You are able to release your thumb on the exact proper thumbnail as they scream by?  I always miss it by a couple frames and need to back up or slow down.

Audiomixer
On 7/12/2022 at 3:26 PM, Audiomixer said:

@ebr

44 minutes ago, ebr said:

I think this is a timing issue and I'm not really sure why it is only now becoming a problem.  For those of you using thumb seeking, if you press the "ok"  button really quickly - that is don't hold it down at all, just down/up as fast as you can, does the video resume as you expect?

What i find interesting is that instead of holding down the FF button but repeatedly click (without a long press mixed in) it until i reach my desired time, playback is instantaneous. Log of this 3:25 pdt s-diskstation user.

@ebr Is this what you mean?

FrostByte

I'm magic :)  I guess I don't ever look for a specific frame though.  I'm looking for a general time.  If I miss it I just REW real quick.

1 minute ago, Audiomixer said:

Is this what you mean?

No.  If you don't hold the button down, the behavior is different.  If you hold the button down and have thumbnails, then you enter visual seek mode - which means focus is now on the timeline and you are moving across it it whatever direction you want.  When you find the right spot, you hit "ok" to start at that spot.  It is that "ok" press I'm talking about. Do it very quickly...

3 minutes ago, Audiomixer said:

Ok, i dont use thumbnails.

Ok.  I still cannot reproduce any issue without thumbs.  It seeks and starts again immediately for me.  But, since there is a timing issue involved, it may not be consistent across environments.

Audiomixer

It is hit and miss for me. Depends on how far i FF. If it is quite a distance then most likely i have to hit ok twice to restart.

• Agree 2

FrostByte

I'm able to do it now again on command

It doesn't happen if you just keep clicking the FF multiple times.  In this case it automatically starts after you're done and you can see the timeline catching up

However, if I mash the FF I have to wait almost a minute or more sometimes before I can click OK.  If I do it to soon then I have to click Play twice.

This is why I say remove the need to press OK.  Or, there should be some visual clue of when it's caught up so we know when to click OK.  Or, we just have to keep clicking Play twice.

• Agree 1

Audiomixer
3 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

I'm able to do it now again on command

It doesn't happen if you just keep clicking the FF multiple times.  In this case it automatically starts after you're done and you can see the timeline catching up

However, if I mash the FF I have to wait almost a minute or more sometimes before I can click OK.  If I do it to soon then I have to click Play twice.

This is why I say remove the need to press OK.  Or, there should be some visual clue of when it's caught up so we know when to click OK.  Or, we just have to keep clicking Play twice.

This is what happens for me as well without thumbs.

• Agree 1

FrostByte

Besides why would the OK button even be needed if you have to wait a minute for it to catch up before clicking OK?  There's plenty of time to click FF/REW again and find the picture you want while you wait.'  Either eliminate it, or add a visual clue of when it's caught up.  I don't think anyone wants to count to 60 one thousand before clicking OK.