have to play twice after FF

justinrh

justinrh

Recent regression.  While playing a movie, and you pause, then FF, then you have to press play twice before the movie will resume.  I'm seeing this on both of my Shields.

Note that Shield got an update recently.

Sent app logs at 7:52pm ET, user home.

Edited by justinrh

Audiomixer

I’ve seen this too in ATV where if you FF for some distance the you have to hit play twice. @FrostByte and i compared notes about this some time ago. SE 8.2.3 behaves the same as 9.1.0. The standard app does not do this.

• Like 1

FrostByte

I was just able to duplicate this twice.  Sent log at ~1100 EDT user Rick

• Movie played was Snatch
  • used the right directional button to scroll about 45 mins ahead
  • had to click the Play about 3 times to get it to start and I waited a second between clicks

With the standard app as soon as I let go of the FF it starts playing

justinrh

@Audiomixer Thanks for the post.  What is "SE"?

@ebr I can use the circle button or the FF button.  Just hit FF once (or hold or twice, it doesn't matter), then have to play twice.

FrostByte

SE= Shield Experience.  nVidia just released SE 9.1 last week I think.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

kikinjo

Also seeing this on shield, sometimes even pressing 2 times play nothing happens, only way is exit from movie / tv show and than resume.

2 minutes ago, kikinjo said:

Also seeing this on shield, sometimes even pressing 2 times play nothing happens, only way is exit from movie / tv show and than resume.

Does a frame from where you are seeking to come up in the main player frame?

I'm thinking that the seek operation is just taking a long time but you can't tell that because you are pausing the video before the seek operation.

kikinjo
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Does a frame from where you are seeking to come up in the main player frame?

I'm thinking that the seek operation is just taking a long time but you can't tell that because you are pausing the video before the seek operation.

Nope, if u are thinking on visual seeking, no chapters no anything, just plain Fast forward.

6 minutes ago, ebr said:

Yeah, that is what is happening.  From Frostbyte's Log:

07-09 11:10:09.262 19074 19074 I System.out: Seeking to 2780000
07-09 11:10:09.264 19074 19074 I System.out: ******** Exoplayer state change to: buffering
07-09 11:10:09.264 19074 19074 I System.out: **** Time Left: 3383200
07-09 11:10:09.267 19074 19074 I System.out: Play called with pos: 5918 and sub index: -1
07-09 11:10:09.268 19074 19074 I System.out: *** PlayWhenReady changed to true
07-09 11:10:09.491 19074 19074 I System.out: *** PlayWhenReady changed to false
07-09 11:10:09.955 19074 19074 I System.out: ******** Exoplayer state change to: ready
07-09 11:10:18.193 19074 19074 I System.out: *** PlayWhenReady changed to true

You started the seek operation then hit the button to start playing, but the seek is still ongoing so you hit the button again (which put the player back in pause mode).  Now the seek finishes but nothing happens because you are still in pause and you hit the button one more time which re-starts playback.

The solution here is to put up a spinner or other indicator during long seek operations but I think that should probably be addressed in the standard app.

21 minutes ago, kikinjo said:

Correct me if i m wrong , but wast before no need to press play at all after seeking / FF ?

That depends on when "before" was and the exact situation.  Since visual seeking has been implemented (quite a while in this app), entering the visual seek mode would require you to press ok or play on the desired frame once you arrive there and visual seeking is automatically engaged if you hold down the ff or rew buttons.

kikinjo
Just now, ebr said:

That depends on when "before" was and the exact situation.  Since visual seeking has been implemented (quite a while in this app), entering the visual seek mode would require you to press ok or play on the desired frame once you arrive there and visual seeking is automatically engaged if you hold down the ff or rew buttons.

I meant fast forwarding without any visual things. In my mind is that after i fast forwarded i never had tu press play...it was going automatic. If possible that wozuld be nice to have again if no visual thing is used.

Just now, kikinjo said:

I meant fast forwarding without any visual things. In my mind is that after i fast forwarded i never had tu press play...it was going automatic. If possible that wozuld be nice to have again if no visual thing is used.

It already behaves that way if you don't have seek thumbs.  The situation reported here, however, was seeking while in a paused state.  If you do that, you still have to un-pause after the seek.

kikinjo
6 minutes ago, ebr said:

It already behaves that way if you don't have seek thumbs.  The situation reported here, however, was seeking while in a paused state.  If you do that, you still have to un-pause after the seek.

Nope, i reported this when no paused state and no visuals. Movie is playing...i press FF and movie does not resume, its either stuck, or i have to press play twice, or completely exit movie and than resume. Sorry if i didn't mention this before.

FrostByte
1 hour ago, ebr said:

@FrostByte @justinrh Do you guys have seek thumbs?  IOW - is the visual seeking interface coming up when you do this?

Yes, I'm seeing the bifs fly by using visual seeking.  I also did not pause before.  While playing I just hard pressed the FF

image.png.86038f720217ffd5c2f99eff3a5c50ba.png

It could be that I'm just not waiting long enough after FFing a long distance and causing it to actually pause like you said.

I just did this test:

• Clicked Play movie Snatch
  • FF to about 45 mins (did not click Pause)
  • waited 1+ mins
  • Clicked Play once and it started playing again

However, with the standard app I don't need to click Play at all because it just immediately starts playing again as soon as I let go of the FF button.  For some reason ATV isn't automatically starting after FFing and I have to click Play afterward.  Which causes a problem because if you don't wait long enough the Play button actually causes a Pause.

I think it should automatically start playing like the standard app does (if not clicking Pause) or at least give me a visual clue when it will be ready. 

When I click FF for a shorter distance I don't have to wait as long, but I still need to click Play for some reason

Edited by FrostByte

If you were playing when you started the seek operation, then it will start again when the seek is finished.  Again, the problem is the seek is taking a long time so you are hitting the play button to make it "go" but this is actually having the effect of pausing the video instead (you can see that exact scenario in the log excerpt I showed above).

If the standard app has no issue here with the speed of the seek, then that should be the ultimate solution.

Thanks.

FrostByte
39 minutes ago, ebr said:

If you were playing when you started the seek operation, then it will start again when the seek is finished. 

It isn't starting again though.  I can wait 30 mins and it never starts when it's done seeking.  It will sit there forever just like in my pic above unless I click Play.  If I click play too quickly is when there is a problem.

Anyway, I just sent another log user Rick at about 1300 EDT.  I clicked the >> on the remote while playing 1917 and FFing about 1.5 mins and it just sat there until I clicked the down arrow to send the log.  Doing it again right now with a very short jump and it's going on 15 mins and not starting. 

Edited by FrostByte

30 minutes ago, FrostByte said:

I clicked the >> on the remote while playing 1917 and FFing about 1.5 mins and it just sat there until I clicked the down arrow to send the log.  Doing it again right now with a very short jump and it's going on 15 mins and not starting. 

According to your log, you have thumbnails so visual seeking is enabled.

2 hours ago, ebr said:

Since visual seeking has been implemented (quite a while in this app), entering the visual seek mode would require you to press ok or play on the desired frame once you arrive there and visual seeking is automatically engaged if you hold down the ff or rew buttons.

The thinking here is that you are hunting for a specific frame/position and you may have gone just past it by the time you lifted your finger, so it stays in that mode so you can find the exact frame you want and then continue from there.

• Like 1

FrostByte
19 minutes ago, ebr said:

The thinking here is that you are hunting for a specific frame/position and you may have gone just past it by the time you lifted your finger, so it stays in that mode so you can find the exact frame you want and then continue from there.

I must be fat fingering the OK button then because sometimes the OSD in the pic below pops up when I click OK after seeking and then it never starts unless I click play several times.  Other times when I click OK it starts up like you mentioned. 

image.png.c82289632c487a43e3b9b1da4065bf22.png

kikinjo
1 hour ago, ebr said:

If you were playing when you started the seek operation, then it will start again when the seek is finished.

Unfortunately this is not happening for me. I tried waiting for 10 min...nothing. Also play button in this situation is visible, not the pause button that would be logical to see and playback would continue as we are expecting.

52 minutes ago, kikinjo said:

Unfortunately this is not happening for me.

Is the interface in visual seek mode (has a visible thumbnail image on the timeline)?

justinrh
4 hours ago, ebr said:

Hmm.  Maybe this is it.  I recently turned this on, I think.  I know this behavior did not happen before.

Now if I could just remember where this setting is at...

kikinjo
12 hours ago, ebr said:

Is the interface in visual seek mode (has a visible thumbnail image on the timeline)?

No, no visual seek mode at all. Playback is continuing as others already mentioned only if u press play button 2 times.