Can Echo dot play Emby MP3's via the Emby skill in Alexa app ?

Traction Tim
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

Traction Tim

Hi all,

My previous thread was going nowhere, so I'll ask a hopefully simple question: Can we play music MP3's via Emby on an Echo dot on the same LAN using the Emby skill in the Alexa app (Not with bluetooth or a cable) ? For example I'm hoping that saying "Alexa, ask M.B. Home to play playlist Music" should play a playlist called "Music" on the Echo dot itself.

I have read every thread I could find about this, and I have:

• Emby Premiere - Version 4.7.5.0 running on a Synology DS920+ on my home LAN.
  • DDNS address courtesy of Synology <myname>.synology.me.
  • SSL set up courtesy of Synology and Lets Encrypt.
  • Exported SSL cert/converted to PKCS#12/Copied to Synology NAS/Set up Emby/Network to see the cert.pfx
  • Emby/Network "Allow remote connections to this server" is ticked.
  • Emby/Network Secure connection mode = required for all remote connections.
  • Emby dashboard shows Remote WAN access = https://<myname>.synology.me:8920
  • External ports 8920 and 443 are set in the router to internal port 443 on the Synology IP.
  • This address working to use Emby on my mobile phone while at work remote from my LAN - both port 443 and 8920 work to show video and music MP3's.
  • This address working in Chrome on my LAN pc showing the https locked padlock.
  • Nine Echo dot's around the house set up and working on the LAN on my Alexa account.

If I say "Alexa, open M.B. Home" it responds and asks what I want to do. I can ask Alexa to play music on the adjacent pc, but it won't play on the Echo dot. Is there an extra step that I am missing ?

I have two users within Emby, myself and my wife. I set up Emby Connect for my wife, and that is the user that I have set up in the Alexa app. I'm assuming that means Emby can only play my wifes MP3's, but that would make her happy so it's good enough for me. @cayars

Have I got the wrong end of the stick, or should this work ?

• Solution

Yes, it can but needs a secured connection which looks like you have.  Its possible have two external ports is tripping something up.

I'd set things up to use only port 443. For you to do this the easiest method is likely setting 443 as the external port in Emby Server Network for public port that's secured.

On your router modify the port forwarding to allow only port 443 forwarding this to the Emby Server's IP address to port 8920.

So 443 to 8920 on Emby.  Emby receives the data internally on 8920 vs 443 (which will conflict usually with other Synology.) but marks the packets with the port of 443. This way you receive everything at the router on 443 but send it to Emby working around Synology issues.

Alexa should be good with 443 as it's the standard point it would normally use for secured connections.

Let us know how this works.

• Thanks 1

Traction Tim

Thank you for responding, I followed your instructions, and I am presently listening to my playlist on the Echo dot !

The bit I found confusing in your instructions above was setting the router ports to 443 ext/ 8920 int but then setting Emby to listen on 443 rather than 8920. That part doesn't appear to make sense but it works. 

Thank You 😀

Traction Tim

One weird thing though, my playlist is called "Music" and this works even if I change the songs in it. If I make another Playlist like "Wife One" it can't find it. Still works with "Music" though, and my wife is happy !

• Thanks 2