Moving Emby Server between Synology NAS

clessy

clessy

Hello,

my storage space on a DS1819 ("Diskstation") is running out and I want to change the RAID level from 10 to 6. The media such as films etc. are mirrored on a DS1815 ("Diskstation_BKP"). Can I copy the Emby Server database 1:1 to the DS1815 and then continue to use Emby after renaming the DS1815 to "Diskstation"?

If that should be possible: Where can I find the Emby database at Synology?

Many Thanks.

clessy

Hi Luke,

i can't find the section "System Paths" in the dashboard. Where is it?

I have an automatic backup over the "Server Configuration Backup Plugin". As I understand it, this is not enough, because  metadates are here not included.

I'm not sure if permanent saving of metadata was activated in Emby Setup back then. If that isn't enabled, I guess I'll have to run a new scan of the libraries after the server move, right?

I now have access to the Emby folder via Windows. Is it sufficient to transfer this folder structure to the new installation?

image.png.79f1994c8344ac6e269788ec5c19c115.png

Thanks.

Edited by clessy

Happy2Play
23 minutes ago, clessy said:

i can't find the section "System Paths" in the dashboard. Where is it?

Three dot menu next to power button or the top section of a log.

25 minutes ago, clessy said:

I now have access to the Emby folder via Windows. Is it sufficient to transfer this folder structure to the new installation?

But yes replacing those into a new install is what you would do.

clessy

@Happy2Play:

Do I still have to do a new scan of the media libraries after replacing the folder structure ?

Happy2Play
4 hours ago, clessy said:

@Happy2Play:

Do I still have to do a new scan of the media libraries after replacing the folder structure ?

In theory no unless paths have changed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2022 at 10:47 AM, clessy said:

Ok, thanks.🙂

How did you make out?  Did you migrate yet?

clessy

@cayars

No, I didn't make it.

A DS1819+ is currently the productive system. I wanted to set up this NAS with a different RAID (from RAID10 to RAID6) to get more storage space. For this, the Emby folder structure should first be moved to a DS1815+ (current backup system). However, I had access/write problems with WinSCP on the DS1815+ despite the existing superuser and the DSM of DS1815+ also showed me that port 8096 was already occupied. I ran an Emby test system here some time ago, but then deleted it again. If the DS1819+ was set up again, Emby should move back from the DS1815+ to the DS1819+.

Due to the problems mentioned, I decided not to move. In the meantime I have found another solution for myself: a third NAS (DS420j) on which my series are stored serves as a second data source for the films. This still has a lot of storage space and can be expanded with a hard drive if necessary.

The DS1819+ and DS420j each do an automatic sync to the DS1815+, so I have an up-to-date backup in case of need.

Thanks for the help.

• 10 months later...
clessy

Hello,

In the meantime I have decided to reduce my current 3-server solution (2x productive and 1x backup) to two servers. For this purpose, a new volume with new disks will be installed on the DS1819 in the future. I am currently filling this volume on the DS1815 with my media. Then I would like to copy the current Emby folder structure from the DS1819 with WinSCP and paste it on the fresh installation of the DS1815. Hopefully there won't be any writing problems when pasting, like last time.

I watched this tutorial to get a feel for the folder structure. I noticed a discrepancy between the paths of my current Emby installation and what is mentioned in the documentation. In fact, I find the structure /volume1/%appdata/EmbyServer via Windows Power Shell and WinSCP. In Emby, however, the following is displayed to me:

image.png.19ee9eb45cfe62adc0da245309826edf.png

I have the following questions about this:

- Why is Emby showing me a different structure?

- Do I need a fresh Emby installation on the DS1815 in order to then copy the folder structure from the existing Emby installation?

- Is it advisable to stop the Embyserver on the DS1815 to avoid write access problems when using WinSCP?

Thanks for your support. @Carlo

You don't want to use WinSCP for anything like this.  That tool is good for small file transfers from Linux to Windows or vice versa but shouldn't be used at all for this.  You don't want data going from Linux to Windows to Linux as you'll end up with a mess of usernames, groups and privs.

On both NAS boxes load Package Center and install Migration Assistant.  That's an Synology tool made for transferring info from one NAS to another.  Other tools that would work are any of the rsync type utils.  

Carlo

clessy
20 hours ago, Carlo said:

You don't want to use WinSCP for anything like this.  That tool is good for small file transfers from Linux to Windows or vice versa but shouldn't be used at all for this.  You don't want data going from Linux to Windows to Linux as you'll end up with a mess of usernames, groups and privs.

On both NAS boxes load Package Center and install Migration Assistant.  That's an Synology tool made for transferring info from one NAS to another.  Other tools that would work are any of the rsync type utils.  

Carlo

Carlo, thanks for the information.

Now the thing is that Migration Assistant only does a complete migration from one server to another. Individual folders cannot be selected. In addition, Migration Assistant will erase all data on the destination NAS. The plan was that I copy all the data there first and then transfer Emby.

There is one main problem with all migrations and rsync variants: They apparently have no access to the %appdata folder, so no access to the Emby installation either. Do you know an rsync package for Synology that can do this?

Thanks very much.

I guess I'm a little confused what you want to do.

BTW while I'm thinking about it you should try and bond the 4 ethernet ports on each NAS for faster transfer.

I thought you wanted to move everything off the DS1819 to the DS1815 so you could redo your volume/RAID layout. If that's the case, you can wipe the DS1815 and then use it purely as a backup destination.  Then using one of the backup tools such as HyperBackup you could get a backup of the DS1819.

Do your layout/RAID changes and then restore everything back.
That should be your fastest method and would allow for compression so the backup would be smaller than the actual file system. Would also transfer faster as well.

2nd option: If both of your NAS boxes have the same size drives, you could migrate your present drives to the old NAS. Then setup your new NAS drives the way you want and then migrate the data back. This would save half the copy time but would require the drives in the old NAS to be what you need.

3rd Option is btrfs snapshot replication if using btrfs presently.

4th option: You could use Shared Folder Sync

5th option is using rsync from the command line.
6th option: drag and drop folders using File Station between two browser windows

7 Mount one NAS to the other using remote mount.  You could then use File Station to copy/move the files.
8 Use a couple external USB drives to move the data
9 Same but use SATA drives connected with an eSATA cable

I don't want to list a #10 as there are too many choices already. :)

PS PM me and I can show you how to access the app areas quite easily including the use of File Station.

• 3 months later...
Ninja_Gundam

Hi, Im planning to migrate too from Syno to Syno..

Old Syno Emby is 4.8.0.46.

On the new synology i have to install  4.7.11 from packets manager, then upgrade before copy folder from old nas,

or I have directly to install the beta 4.8.0.46 packet that I have on other nas ?

Chooo

3 hours ago, Ninja_Gundam said:

Hi, Im planning to migrate too from Syno to Syno..

Old Syno Emby is 4.8.0.46.

On the new synology i have to install  4.7.11 from packets manager, then upgrade before copy folder from old nas,

or I have directly to install the beta 4.8.0.46 packet that I have on other nas ?

Chooo

Either way should be fine, but I would just start with the beta since you plan to upgrade to that.

• Agree 1

Ninja_Gundam

Something went wrong ^_^;; Like always ahahah

The plugins section on new server synology keep loading and no backup plugin to restore all (I've manually copied even the folder plugins from nas to other now).

I've already put API key on new one 😐

Dinnertime here, I'am relaunching the package setup from start to see if overwriting will works ^^;

Chooo

Ninja_Gundam
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

I was going crazy... damn crap syno after 6....

DSM 6 /volume1/Emby

DSM 7 /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer  << forget to clean this and installation was always corrupted the same

On DSM 6 was so plain and easy >_> would be great a plugin evolute of backup to transfer from ip\path to ip\path too or something like that :)

Anyway..

Restored a backup, remounting media folders.. this will be long.

Btw, the date added now is all a mess 😐 isn't a way to copy that information like last media added\last episodes\etc. from old server ?

Playback reporting seems to have load data, but users are marked as "Not Known" i will try to restart all when remount operation will be finished.

Chooo

On DSM 6 was so plain and easy

No doubt. Synology changed a lot of things with DSM 7 and pulled the rug out from underneath of a lot of applications.

• 2 weeks later...
Ninja_Gundam

Ok more or less I've managed to regain all working.

Few things still not, like playback reporting statistics,download Theme Video Movies from the plugin dedicated and  lost music video thumbs\metadata etc.. noticed those for now; the rest all ok.

Staying on Versione 4.8.0.46 beta now.

Would be nice a Backup Plugin (even paying) more powerful (can choose metadata, compress them, push on an external ip or smb etc. for example) for migrations like this.. or..from sinology to another platform.

I can understand the part to migrate data zipping folders, moving, pushing, telnet, giving rights corrects etc. etc. for non tech guy will be pretty difficult and confusing.

I'm planning to move from synology to a qnap for ram\processor and I'm a little scared seriously to port again all on the other side.

Anyway I would like to thanks the staff to be always there, that made the difference!

Chooo

The backup plugin will be changing in the near future to just backup everything. That means backups will be very large, but everything will get carried over.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
clessy
On 9/23/2023 at 9:06 PM, Luke said:

The backup plugin will be changing in the near future to just backup everything. That means backups will be very large, but everything will get carried over.

Can you define the near future? 6 months or 1 year?

Thanks.