Anime Genre Icons

Starkadius

Starkadius

These are long overdue but they are finally here. I have created 89 109 genre/tag icons for anime to share with the community to use in tandem with the anime server plugin created by @@Aphid

Design

542d31a97489a_thumb.jpg

I used a "japanese brush" font and placed sakura petals flowing over the icon to give it an overall Japan feel. I know it might be cliche but when browsing from Movie -> TV -> Anime views I wanted the user to immediately recognize what view they were on. 

Anime sets itself apart from other media types (Movies, TV) as it has a genre/tag for practically everything. I meticulously attempted to give each genre an accurate representation whether it is an emotion or scenario by selecting the proper images that might fit such as the example above "Angst". 

Samples

542d31ed2b797_01.png

542d31f81fd2e_02.png

and many more...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTMeb9IBN4I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYFgrQcLwZo

Download

109 genres included (background, folder and thumb)

Genre List (Updated Nov 02 2014)

Anime-Genre-Pack-1

Anime-Genre-Pack-2

Anime-Genre-Pack-3

Anime-Genre-Pack-4

Anime-Genre-Pack-5 NEW! (20 Genres Added - Nov 02 2014)

542d320c3a488_included1.png

Instructions

542d32b8658e9_anime.jpg 542d32a7f0dc9_movie.jpg 542d32b2378ed_tv.jpg

You will find that the server makes both the Movies and TV shows use the same genre icons. In order to get around that you will need to add a prefix for TV and Anime series genres.

542d32db575c1_20141002_30337.png

Detailed instructions found here and here

Additional Info

There are still more genres/tags that I did not create. It will depend on the demand and/or requests of this set.

Asian Drama (Dorama) Genre Icons
547e953d7a413_dorama.png

TV Genre Icons

547e98e824adb_tv.png

Edited by Starkadius
  • Like 9

PurposelyCryptic

Very nice! I've wanted to put together something like this for a while, but work has had me put it off over and over again. Your collection is really well done too, I like the shows you picked for the tags.

Any idea if these are affected by the big Tag-reorganization over at AniDB? I know they converted all the previous categories to tags, then purged around half of the tags, and arranged the rest into a categorical hierarchy.

It's all a big mess, but at least the top-level tags hopefully remained unchanged.

Either way, my genre tags were set before the change for everything but new stuff, so I'll definitely be gratefully making use of your collection. This should have me finally using the genre system. Many thanks!

• Like 1

PurposelyCryptic

Hi, just wanted to say I added your anime genre icon collection to my system, and it looks great.

For the heck of it, I let MBS download ALL the genres for my collection (around 1500 anime) to see if there were any major differences after AniDB's change, so I thought I'd let you know which genres not included in your collection had the most shows associated with them; not sure if this would be helpful or not, but I figure it couldn't hurt.

So, out of 1418 shows, with 211 Genre tags:

Demons: 40

Friendship: 20

4-Koma: 15

Violent Retribution for Accidental Infringement: 14

General Lack of Common Sense: 14

Genetic Modification: 14

Mahou Shoujo: 10

Period & Historical: 10

Under One Roof: 10

Countryside: 9

All-Girls School: 8

College: 7

Slow When It Comes to Love: 6

Angel: 6

Calling your Attacks: 6

Catgirl: 6

Collateral Damage: 6

Talking Animal: 6

Ghost: 6

Goddess: 6

Feudal Warfare: 6

Bakumatsu - Meiji Period: 6

Yakuza: 6

Maid: 6

Combat: 5

Delinquents: 5

Desert: 5

Witch: 5

Breaking the Fourth Wall: 2

I left out tags with 3 or less shows (Outside of 'Breaking the Fourth Wall', since it was mentioned in your post), as well as the 'Boobs in your face' type tags.

Not sure if this info is helpful or not, but I figure it might give you an idea of general tag usage from a decent-sized sample of shows.

• Like 1

Starkadius

@@PurposelyCryptic

Thanks, very pleased you liked the icons! My goodness, I am jealous of your 1418 Shows in your anime collection. I only have 257 currently but one day I'll get there…

In response to your first post. I started working on this set of icons in the beginning of this year on and off. At the time I was using the old tag system they had on the top left side of the main page (anidb) which had a nice hierarchical view of the Genre/Sub-Genre/Tag items. As you mentioned I also discovered that recently they made a huge reorganization of the tag system. Since my work had already gone underway and was almost complete I was not about to start all over haha but thankfully the majority of the tags remained the same. If anything I would just have to make minor changes to the names or worst case there would be extra genres.

I am not sure if the plugin needs to be updated to reflect the changes made to the new tag system but as you have experimented it seems to still pull the tags/genres the same as before so maybe nothing needs to be done.

Now responding to your second post. In my OP I only listed a few samples that I did not create. Here is the full list:

• 4-Koma
  • All-girls School
  • Angel
  • Anti-War
  • Art
  • Assassin
  • Bakumatsu - Meiji Period
  • Blackmail
  • Breaking the Fourth Wall
  • Calling Your Attacks
  • Cars
  • Catgirl
  • Collateral Damage
  • College
  • Combat
  • Countryside
  • Dark Fantasy
  • Delinquents
  • Demons
  • Desert
  • Dragon
  • Earthquake
  • Edo Period
  • Elf
  • Fairies
  • Feudal Warfare
  • Fishing
  • Floating Island
  • Friendship
  • General Lack of Common Sense
  • Genetic Modification
  • Ghost
  • Goddess
  • Heian Period
  • High Fantasy
  • History
  • Mafia
  • Magic
  • Mahou Shoujo
  • Maid
  • Mina
  • Motorsport
  • Navy
  • Parasite
  • Performance
  • Period & Historical
  • Photography
  • Pirate
  • Religion
  • Robot Helper
  • Satire
  • Sengoku Period
  • Shoujo Ai
  • Slow When It Comes to Love
  • Spellcasting
  • Swimming
  • Talking Animal
  • Thief
  • Under One Roof
  • United Kingdom
  • United States of America
  • Violent Retribution for Accidental Infringement
  • Western
  • Witch
  • Yakuza

65 Genres/Tags

My shows did have these genres but they were so few that I manually removed these from appearing. Some of them I felt were redundant such as Yakuza, Mafia because I went with "Underground" to encompass all of those which I did make an icon for. I ended up consolidating certain genres.  As for the more abstract genres such as "Violent Retribution for Accidental Ingringement" or "Breaking the fourth wall" I was not too sure on how I would go about creating such icons that would accurately represent these and at the same time find good quality images for them.

I do plan on creating these remaining genres/tags including the redundant ones I mentioned but to start off the anime genre set I focused primarily on the top-level tags first and would dip into the sub-level tags depending on the quantity of shows that matched them.

I am open to suggestions on some of these tags since you definitely have a bigger collection. I will probably create a few more this week when I get some time.

• 4 weeks later...
Starkadius

Updated the initial post and added an additional 20 new genres, listed as Anime-Genre-Pack-5. I still have more genres to create but due to lack of time it might be a while before I get to them. Enjoy.

5456bf159240d_preview1.png

• Like 1

PurposelyCryptic

Nice work yet again on the new set! Sorry that I just disappeared after our last exchange, I was out of the country for a while, and my net access was basically non-existent.

I'm not sure if it would still be useful or not, but before I left I had compiled a spreadsheet that I never got to upload, containing the top 2000 tags on AniDB, filtered down to around 300, based on whether or not they were worked as a genre (And removing all of the female-anatomy-based tags - you wouldn't believe just how many there were), along with the number of entries there are for each.

Anyway, I know it's a month later now, but I figured I may as well share it, and maybe it can be of some sort of use. I uploaded it to Google Drive here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1bzV2FXB3MfbVZNYkFlM1RXRmc/view?usp=sharing

Edit:

Google Drive file set to allow editing for anyone with the above link, per request. Should probably be updated though (probably by me, but I'm somewhat drowning in work atm)

Edited by PurposelyCryptic
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Starkadius

Nice work yet again on the new set! Sorry that I just disappeared after our last exchange, I was out of the country for a while, and my net access was basically non-existent.

I'm not sure if it would still be useful or not, but before I left I had compiled a spreadsheet that I never got to upload, containing the top 2000 tags on AniDB, filtered down to around 300, based on whether or not they were worked as a genre (And removing all of the female-anatomy-based tags - you wouldn't believe just how many there were), along with the number of entries there are for each.

Anyway, I know it's a month later now, but I figured I may as well share it, and maybe it can be of some sort of use. I uploaded it to Google Drive here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1bzV2FXB3MfbVZNYkFlM1RXRmc/view?usp=sharing

Hey don't worry about it, we all lead busy lives. I really appreciate that list you have provided and I am sure it will be useful in creating the icons. Hopefully I can get the majority created but I can't provide an ETA. I just recently started working on getting my gamebrowser library going again (i had that on my queue of things to get done for a year and a half now. There just isn't enough time in a day!). I don't have time to play games anymore but I have family members that want to retro game so I want to get that out of the way and then focus on the anime icons.

• 1 month later...
Starkadius

So I went through the AniDB tag list today and I discovered that they are going through many changes it seems. For example;

Goddess ---> changed to Diety

Demons ---> changed to Demon

History ---> moved to old animetags

Thief ---> moved to character tags

Old Animetags:

No longer used. Replaced by a different tag or removed entirely.

Character:

Tags under this parent tag are going to be moved to character tags and removed from the anime they're currently assigned to. They will be blocked from the anime system once that move is complete.

It seems that the anime genres I created will go unchanged (from what little time I had to check) so moving forward I will have to make sure the remaining genres are for anime only and not for character tags as there just seems to be too many. I believe I did create a few "character tags" already but will no longer be doing so with this new tag system in place. I want to keep it anime tag only. Would this be acceptable? @@PurposelyCryptic

Edited by Starkadius

• 3 weeks later...

What should the folder structure be for Anime Tv Shows and Movies? I don't see how (Anime) helps because all the server sees it as is a different directly for tv shows. I have mines setup for Anime TV Shows and then TV Shows for regular shows. 

Starkadius
fredg89, on 18 Jan 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:fredg89, on 18 Jan 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:fredg89, on 18 Jan 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:fredg89, on 18 Jan 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:

What should the folder structure be for Anime Tv Shows and Movies? I don't see how (Anime) helps because all the server sees it as is a different directly for tv shows. I have mines setup for Anime TV Shows and then TV Shows for regular shows. 

The anime structure is no different from TV shows or Movies. If you look at the instructions in the OP and the links in them you will see that the folder structure referred to is for the MediaBrowser-Server\ImagesByName\Genre folder where the Movies/TV genres are stored. Right now there is no genre icon support for TV shows (or anime). TV shows by default share the genre icons for Movies such as Action so to get around that you would need to go to the TV show or Anime series and change the genre meta from Action to "(Anime) Action" or "(TV) Action" and have a similarly named folder under MediaBrowser-Server\ImagesByName\Genre containing the genre icons.

Basically right now it would have to be done manually unfortunately. I have requested a workaround for this here using genrecleaner so that the plugin can rename the genres for anime tv or anime movies to whatever is set in a "profile". There has been no feedback/response at all. If you would like to see it gaining some traction please "like" it and/or make a post. The other possibility is if anime becomes its own "media type" but I don't see that happening any time soon. Thanks.

Edited by Starkadius

• 1 year later...
Asturaetus

Even if this borders necro-posting - but is there anyone around who still has this genre icon pack and who is willing to reupload it?

PurposelyCryptic

Even if this borders necro-posting - but is there anyone around who still has this genre icon pack and who is willing to reupload it?

I no longer have the original zips, but I pulled these from my IBN folder, so it should hopefully be all of them:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1bzV2FXB3MfQThUYlRjN0ppV2c

I renamed the folders to remove the "(anime) " part at the beginning, simply because I have vastly more anime than non-anime media; it should be easy enough to change back if you want to though (I did it for a few of them here so you can see what it looks like).

Asturaetus

Thank you. You literally added a little more color to my life (or at least to the genre page on my new server  ;)  ).