Player keeps locking up.

jriker1

jriker1

Have latest update to Android TV Player that just came out but don't think this is related.  Also on 4.7.5.0 windows server.  Did this the other day.  When I start playing a video, in this case a 4k HDR movie with TrueHD Atmos audio, it will start playing.  I then press the remote to jump forward a few minutes.  In the web Dashboard it shows the time scroll forward and you see the seconds ticking.  On the TV,  the screen is locked up, and nothing happening.  That said, after about 30 seconds the screen will change aspect, then go back and continue playing.  Note I have subtitles turned on, but nothing is showing on the screen.  Then I stop playing and the Play button says Play, not resume.

So here is when I first start the movie:

image.png.7a051846ec25ea6ce4154fc2e2ac6bab.png

Press the jump button 4 times. it's still ticking up but the screen is locked:

image.png.f205fd46fb1e8e8c837ed97a151ea4ce.png

Once the screen aspect changes and then changes back and plays if I hit stop right now as mentioned the Play button stays Play not Resume.

At this point if instead I don't stop it but jump forward 30 seconds or several clicks of 30 seconds, it plays fine.  At after jumping forward now, and stop, the Resume button shows.  If I click Resume at this point the subtitles will show.

Also I can reproduce this hanging at various times when jumping forward.  Thought I was good after the initial lockup but can reproduce it from time to time.  Should note when the aspect is changing there is a blue ring spinning briefly on the screen and then starts working again.  Also this time notice my audio is transcoding and not sure what it's saying about the Stream in general.

image.png.0ccfc103a5aae364b5c8450ac9e7f5de.png

This has been happening frequently the last few days or so for some reason.  Haven't had this issue with my movies before.    If relevant these videos are encoded with nvenc CQP.

embyserver (2).txt ffmpeg-remux-7beb75da-eecd-4908-b2bf-0be6fa0e8cca_1.txt

Edited by jriker1

jriker1

I have a version installed from another issue that kind of stalled.  Version 3.2.37 for reference.  It plays the video smoothly, no transcoding, jumps real quick and plays back immediately when jumping around.  

Edited by jriker1

12 hours ago, jriker1 said:

I have a version installed from another issue that kind of stalled.  Version 3.2.37 for reference.

Can you please update that to the latest (3.2.52 I think) and make sure it is still good?

Also, be sure you've updated your Shield firmware to the latest available there.

jriker1

updated to 3.2.52 and still works well.  Think one time there was a slight lag in the video starting when jumping, audio continued immediately, but just once and not the same thing.  Didn't freeze or anything and was direct playing all the time.

Edited by jriker1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

jriker1

That's a new one, so on the normal Android TV player just trying to jump forward locked up mid jump.  Usually it lets me get to where I want to then locks.  Then sat there for 45 seconds and eventually played.  Thought it may be the subtitles since they are gone when it resumes but tried playing again without them on and no joy. 

So does the discovery that it works on the Android guess phone app but not right on the Android TV app help?  Note I don't use the Android phone app and not super great navigation on the TV when using, but always found the testing I did that the Android phone app was always more responsive.  Even loading the main page was quick where on Android TV it sat for a while loading some of the tiles. 

EDIT:  Originally I was also thinking maybe it was videos encoded with nvenc but just tried one that was software encoded and same deal.   Not to make anyone mad, but for testing just setup a plex server and then the client on the Nvidia Shield.  Videos play and jump around without issue.

Edited by jriker1

On 7/8/2022 at 6:16 PM, jriker1 said:

So does the discovery that it works on the Android guess phone app but not right on the Android TV app help? 

Hi, yes it does because ultimately the TV app will get the same updates. Thanks.

7 hours ago, jriker1 said:

Thanks Luke.  Does the phone app use a different player?  Thought the TV app used ExoPlayer.

it does, it's the same. The standard app is just a little bit ahead in terms of updates.

jriker1

Thanks, odd to think since this recently started that the player between the two is that far off or the player went from working to broke, and a slightly later player for the other version doesn't have this but thanks.  Bet that was confusing.  I'm going to have to temporarily move to something else for at least reviewing my content as these lockups jumping around the video is not usable.  I can play thru with Emby but when I convert movies I like to jump thru them to make sure they are clean and the audio is good and the subtitles and forced play right and makes it impossible.

Edited by jriker1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...