Server not honouring 'sort by' option

Dan833

Dan833

Hi, i have some movie collections that are sorted by 'sort title tags'. I have changed the folder view from 'file name' to 'title' but when i log out and then back in they are reset back to 'file name' ?

It was honouring these settings in v4.6.7.0

Running version 4.7.5.0

DS218Play

DSM 6.2.4-2556-6

Is there a way to make 'title' the default view ?

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.png

Also will there be the option to adjust folder views and user accounts on the server side and they are honoured on the app side ?

Edited by Dan833

Happy2Play

These are per device options not global.  So if I change sort by in Edge then go to Chrome or FireFox they will not be the same.

But have not seen the options reset but in Folder View you have to apply per folder as option does not apply to every folder.

Dan833
48 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

So if I change sort by in Edge then go to Chrome or FireFox they will not be the same.

So no user config file or something like is saved for the account in Emby Server ?

On v4.6.7.0 if i set the folder views in firefox browser with a user account, then logged into Emby for Android with the same account, they were the same views i did not have to set folder views in Emby for Android separately.

Seems like alot of work to set every collection folder and sub folder on every account !!

I think the admins folder view and user settings should be global for all accounts, makes setting up accounts easier in  my opinion. Then the user can adjust there account accordingly.

Considering the 'sort by' reset issue, i might consider going back to 4.6.7.0

Thanks for the info anyway.

Edited by Dan833

The reason the sort options are not remembered across devices is due to all of the new display options. It's possible now to create views for one screen that might not make sense on another screen of a different size, so that's why the view options are separate for each device.

Dan833

Ok, so in my first post i login with Firefox change the folder view to 'sort by' then logout.

I then log back in with the same browser and same account and the folder view is reset back to 'filename'.

At the moment i have gone back to 4.6.7.0 and i do not have this problem, it stay's on 'sort by' when i log in and out with the same browser and same account ?

Edited by Dan833

Happy2Play
32 minutes ago, Dan833 said:

Ok, so in my first post i login with Firefox change the folder view to 'sort by' then logout.

I then log back in with the same browser and same account and the folder view is reset back to 'filename'.

At the moment i have gone back to 4.6.7.0 and i do not have this problem, it stay's on 'sort by' when i log in and out with the same browser and same account ?

But 4.6 will not have any of the new sort by or Table views or any additional view option added.  

As mentioned, the new option cannot carry across all clients.

Have tested FF102 and 4.7.5.0 and it maintains the Sort by option I have selected opting and closing tab on the exact same page/view.

39 minutes ago, Dan833 said:

Right, you're probably seeing this because you have firefox set to clear browsing data, or something is clearing browsing data. This is not normal within the same browser, so you should be able to chase down what's causing this rather than rolling back to 4.6.

Dan833
2 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

But 4.6 will not have any of the new sort by or Table views or any additional view option added.

Im not too bothered about the new features.

2 hours ago, Luke said:

Right, you're probably seeing this because you have firefox set to clear browsing data, or something is clearing browsing data. This is not normal within the same browser, so you should be able to chase down what's causing this rather than rolling back to 4.6.

Yes i have Firefox on 'Never Remember History' but this does not seem to be a problem for 4.6 ? 

As i have it now, it works.

Server v4.6.7.0 and Emby for Android 3.2.34. This is what i had when i first started using Emby.

Using Web App in Firefox on PC and User Account 1, you set the folder views to 'sort by'.

Using Emby for Android and User Account 1, those folder views are mirrored.

I even logged into to the Web App in Firefox on my phone and the view is still on 'sort by'.

It's working the way i want it to, so i will leave it like this.

Edited by Dan833

Dan833

on 4.6.7.0 with these settings the movie library layout gets mirrored on the android app.

on 4.7.5.0 the settings on movie library layout gets reset back to 'filename' everytime you login and so affects the android app as well.

maybe some sort of change in 4.7.5.0 has affected this ?

Hope this makes more sense 😉

01.jpg

02.jpg

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, Dan833 said:

on 4.6.7.0 with these settings the movie library layout gets mirrored on the android app.

on 4.7.5.0 the settings on movie library layout gets reset back to 'filename' everytime you login and so affects the android app as well.

maybe some sort of change in 4.7.5.0 has affected this ?

Hope this makes more sense 😉

01.jpg

02.jpg

Cannot reproduce unless you are clearing browser history in web client with every restart.

Browser will maintain every level sort by is set on but will be lost when browser history is cleared.  

Not a Andriod user but can say my 4.6.7.0 browser and ET or iOS are not to the same.  And the same applies to 4.7.

Independent on each client.  One on Release Date, one on Date added and if unset or resest (delete browser history) defaults to File Name.

Edited by Happy2Play

Yea maybe you're testing with two different user profiles? Those home screen options are working just fine for me and are carrying from one device to another.

Dan833
4 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Cannot reproduce unless you are clearing browser history in web client with every restart.

Browser will maintain every level sort by is set on but will be lost when browser history is cleared. 

Firefox is set to 'never remember history' but still maintains every level sort by when i restart the browser and login again.

This is with 4.6.7.0 but with 4.7.5.0 they are lost.

19 minutes ago, Luke said:

Yea maybe you're testing with two different user profiles? Those home screen options are working just fine for me and are carrying from one device to another.

same user profile.

Those home screen options will be retained though regardless of your browsing history getting cleared though.

Dan833
9 hours ago, Luke said:

Those home screen options will be retained though regardless of your browsing history getting cleared though.

Im not talking about home screen options, im talking about the library view.

never mind.

02.jpg.cd5ee0bd506344da92dbeed789221ae1.jpg

4 hours ago, Dan833 said:

Im not talking about home screen options, im talking about the library view.

never mind.

02.jpg.cd5ee0bd506344da92dbeed789221ae1.jpg

I understand, but you had mentioned them and showed a screenshot so I just wanted to make sure to respond to that.

• 2 weeks later...
jsm713

I have the same issue:  every time I close the server (in Chrome) all library folders reset to "sort by title".  In the previous version of EMBY, I set the sort to "by date added" and it stayed that way every time I opened Emby (always on Chrome on my home pc).  With the latest upgrade, the sort resets every time I close the server (even if I don't close Chrome).  So... every time I open EMBY, I have to correct the sort for each library folder I choose to look at.  Bothersome...

Just now, jsm713 said:

I have the same issue:  every time I close the server (in Chrome) all library folders reset to "sort by title".  In the previous version of EMBY, I set the sort to "by date added" and it stayed that way every time I opened Emby (always on Chrome on my home pc).  With the latest upgrade, the sort resets every time I close the server (even if I don't close Chrome).  So... every time I open EMBY, I have to correct the sort for each library folder I choose to look at.  Bothersome...

Hi, you're probably seeing this because you have something set to clear browsing data, or something is clearing browsing data for you. This is not normal within the same browser, so you should be able to chase down what's causing this.

Dan833

@jsm713   Seems they have scrapped this option in 4.7 which in my opinion doesn't really give you full control of how your media is presented across devices.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/110500-sorting-choices-not-remembered-after-re-login/#comment-1163745

That's why im still on 4.6.7 and Emby for Android 3.2.47

Edited by Dan833