Music Playlist Download Woes

jlambie

jlambie

I am aware that others have commented on this, but I can’t find the threads to perpetuate them. 

Essentially - on downloading music playlists to the iOS apps, they show up in the downloads section not as playlists with the items within, but as the individual music files. Thus, not as intended. The playlists are often designed to be played in their track order, which is impossible with the downloads operation as is. 

I get that the issue is in part to do with the playlist file as separate from the actual music files, but is there going to be any kind of fix for this? Even a reasonable workaround would do. 

Thanks 🙏 

Hi, yes that's correct. The actual playlists do not get downloaded, but support for this is planned for future updates. Thanks.

jlambie
12 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, yes that's correct. The actual playlists do not get downloaded, but support for this is planned for future updates. Thanks.

Thanks. I can’t imagine I am the only one hoping for this. 

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
jlambie
On 04/07/2022 at 23:07, Luke said:

Hi @Luke, just following this up from 6 months ago. Do you know a timescale for this yet? 

Edited by jlambie

manf0001

I would like to add to this also.   I love listening to music and make playlists too, but as mentioned above if I download the playlist it will just download all the individual songs.  It would be great to have offline playlists also.

Looking forward to having that as a feature in the Android app.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
TariqK

Is this still not added?

I was planning on buying Premiere just for the download feature, but I am shocked to hear how it works with regards to playlists.

@Lukedo you have any update on this please?

4 hours ago, TariqK said:

Is this still not added?

I was planning on buying Premiere just for the download feature, but I am shocked to hear how it works with regards to playlists.

@Lukedo you have any update on this please?

Hi, not yet but it is planned for future updates. Thanks.

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, jlambie said:

Hi, just bumping this. Is there any update on this please? @Luke

I don't have an update yet but it's planned for future versions. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Would love to see offline playlists playable in some manner. As it is, it appears as though you have the choice of Albums or Songs. Why not Playlists?

I do see that through Download/Settings you can actually see the playlist but no option to play it as a Playlist.

Would it be possible to add to the context menu Play/Shuffle?

Or, from the Home menu, when you choose Playlist, if the playlist has been downloaded, play from the downloaded file rather than streaming. (or is this the way it works now?)

Basically, I'm just trying to consolidate apps/programs I use and, in order to play offline Playlist, I have you jump to yet another app.

I am using Emby on my iPhone via Carplay (I have not been using Emby for some time now due to it lacking above capabilities). I will check it out in Carplay and see if the Carplay interface is better than last time I checked......hopefully

Thanks

Edited by JDizzy
  • Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 11:29 AM, jlambie said:

I get that the issue is in part to do with the playlist file as separate from the actual music files, but is there going to be any kind of fix for this?

Even a reasonable workaround would do. 

Yes, but when you download a playlist, it downloads the files as a group onto your device. Maybe Emby could tag the files and then use the tag to build playlist... I dunno, seems as though many other apps have figured it out and a fix would not be too difficult.... 

I just tried Emby in car with Carplay and observed that the playlist I downloaded onto iPhone, when jumping from song to song, was almost instantaneous.

When choosing a playlist not downloaded, there was about a 3-4 second lag time when jumping from song to song.

This makes me believe that when playing playlists downloaded onto phone, it uses downloaded songs rather than using the server.

Not sure if this will work when no internet, but hopefully..... I have areas that I drive through with no internet which is why I need the offline content.

Edited by JDizzy
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
MistD

I was about to post about the same thing. This makes the emby app totally un-usable for offline use.
If i have a download button for my playlists i expect that actual playlists should be available offline.

• Like 1