How do you configure genres?

Henkmeister
Go to solution Solved by Gilgamesh_48,

Henkmeister

I have been frustrated with genre metadata of movies. Some movie can be horror, romance, comedy and scifi. And it shows on all those genre categories in Emby. Is there a way to arrange them by the "strongest" category. Like Aliens is a scifi movie (but has horror elements in it).  I tried to do this manually, but with a big library it is a definite "no, no".

How do you manage your genres in Emby?

Happy2Play

Emby will present then in the order they are written in nfo file.  But there is an issue of them being rewritten you ever edit metadata within Emby.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/109294-missing-genres/&do=findComment&comment=1151892

Only way would be manual if feel the order is wrong per nfo.  Your example of Alien, both IMDB and TMDB have it as Horror, Science Fiction/Sci-Fi.

• Solution
Gilgamesh_48

The main thing I do is use the "Genre Cleaner" plugin and map almost all the junk genera to a more correct genera such as "Sci-Fi" and "Horror" and "Fantasy" all get mapped to "Science Fiction/Horror/Fantasy" and yes I created that genera. And, yes I have similar genera for others such as:
"Mystery/Thriller/Crime." I also use "Drama" as a catchall for many of the junk genera such as "TV Movie."

My mappings leave me with only four or five genera total that covers all my movies. I do not bother with TV as, for me, TV genera are not really meaningful. Of course movies are not much better.

I just do not understand why there appears to be a different genera that mean exactly the same thing such as "Science Fiction" and "Sci-Fi." Genera Cleaner allow me to reduce the junk to a manageable level.

Also I almost never use genera to find a movie or TV show so my methods might not work for everyone. I use "Genera Cleaner" mainly to get the total genera entries down to a nice low number

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1