Thumbnail Image Extraction not working consistently

Erik

Erik

Hello,

In the last couple weeks I have noticed that the thumbnails creation are not available for content consistently... I turned on debug logs and send a log to @Luke and @ebr from a fresh restart of Emby then:

1) Added a new file to a folder (.mp4) and ran the library scan task then the thumbnails task (.bif created ok)

Note: other files are present in multiple folders/libraries that are missing a .bif file

2) Ran thumbnail task again, finishes in 0 seconds (nothing created)

3) Removed a TV show, scanned the library to clear it, added the show back, scanned the library to add it back in

4) Ran the thumbnail task again and now the thumbnail is created for that specific episode, but the 4 previous episodes that are present have thumbnails created.

5) Deleted a previously created .bif from a TV Show (happened to be a .mp4 file), ran library scan task and then thumbnails creation task and no creation was attempted, finished in 0 seconds.

Emby seems to not be scanning for missing thumbnails correctly unless I remove and add the media again. Has something changed? For example: I was previously able to just delete any .bif file and then run the task to have it re-created, now it seems to be ignored.

Thanks,

Erik

Edited by Erik
Updated

Emby seems to not be scanning for missing thumbnails correctly unless I remove and add the media again. Has something changed? For example: I was previously able to just delete any .bif file and then run the task to have it re-created, now it seems to be ignored.

HI, nothing has changed. Can we please look at a specific example? Thanks.

Erik

Sure, @Luke

I have “Americas Got Talent” recording weekly via a HDHomeRun (all through Emby).

None of the episodes from the last couple week have thumbnail files created.

I tried manually scanning the library and manually running the thumbnails task with no result.

I removed S17E05 from the folder and did a library scan (deleted all the other associated files for that episode). I then put it back into the same folder and did another library scan followed by a thumbnails task…now a .bif was created, but the other episodes in the same folder are there still with no .bif file.

I used the 3 dot on the series to refresh the metadata (selected replace all and replace images) which after that was done I manually executed the thumbnail task and still no additional .bif files created for all the missing ones.

——

I also tested this by just deleting the .bif file for a movie in a different folder then scanned the library and ran the thumbnail task and it completes in 0 seconds and doesn’t try to recreate the thumbnail file.

——

if I add a new video file to a library and do a library scan then thumbnail task it does create it as expected…

——

it feels like files are being ignored or flagged not to be included for some reason. Anyways, if you need more specific or a step by step or anything let me know.

Edited by Erik

Erik

@Luke a parallel thread for the same issue: 

It seems that doing a manual refresh of all the metadata and then running the thumbnail task does then work, so hopefully that helps get to the root of the problem.

mohoelx

Chiming in ... noticed the same thing. My HDHomerun device is a new-ish addition to my environment, and tonight we sat down to watch a series recorded there (NCIS LA) and had no thumbnails. Checking, I too could run the thumbnail extract in 0 seconds, and have no joy. Then I did a manual refresh of all the metadata as suggested above, and re-ran the thumbnail extract. Still 0 seconds, but sampling the episode we had just finished, it now has thumbnails. Weird, but at least there's a work-around.

Yea it looks like it's not happening right away after the recording and we're looking into that. Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

Problem is still there in Version 4.7.6.0. After a live recording, emby won't create a .bif file. Sometimes it does, but it's 1 out of maybe 20. Regardless of live checking or waiting till the scheduled task kicks on.

If I start the thumbnail extraction manually, it takes 0 seconds to finish.

Only solution is to set "replace metadata" manually for the video and kick off again manually the thumbnail extraction. After these steps before the thumbnail extraction works as it should every time.

Hopefully @Luke can solve this. I don't like to do so much manually ^^

Guest worthington_j

I'm not sure if this is related to this issue, but I've noticed that all of my chapters are missing thumbnails.

On 8/4/2022 at 10:50 AM, worthington_j said:

I'm not sure if this is related to this issue, but I've noticed that all of my chapters are missing thumbnails.

Hi, I can't reproduce, but will do more testing to try to chase this down.

In the meantime you should just be able to refresh the metadata on affected videos using the 3-dot menu. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Hi @Luke I still have this issue (now on 4.7.8.0) TV recordings are not automatically generating the thumbnails with the scheduled task and I have to continuously refresh the metadata for the entire folder just to get them to be created.

Is there anything I can provide to help get this one sorted.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, I believe it should be resolved in the upcoming 4.8 server release. Thanks.

Great thanks! I appreciate the hard work.

• Thanks 1

HawkXP71

Along these lines (I hope Im not thread-jacking here) I have a number of movies that dont have the BIF file, however, when I force a Generate Thumbnails, nothing happens

Is there anything I can do to say, this missing BIF needs to be generated?

10 minutes ago, HawkXP71 said:

Along these lines (I hope Im not thread-jacking here) I have a number of movies that dont have the BIF file, however, when I force a Generate Thumbnails, nothing happens

Is there anything I can do to say, this missing BIF needs to be generated?

When you force a generate thumbnail how?

18 minutes ago, HawkXP71 said:

When I run the generate thumbnail task.

Then I would check to make sure it has an Interval set in the schedule so that it runs automatically. Perhaps you customized it and removed the schedule.

HawkXP71
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

Then I would check to make sure it has an Interval set in the schedule so that it runs automatically. Perhaps you customized it and removed the schedule.

I already checked that.  No its there, and new movies (usually) have it generated with new issues. Ive just noticed a number of movies do not have the BIF file.  Dont know the root cause of why its missing (gremlins?..)

My question is when its missing, how can I trigger a "generate the BIF file"

6 minutes ago, HawkXP71 said:

I already checked that.  No its there, and new movies (usually) have it generated with new issues. Ive just noticed a number of movies do not have the BIF file.  Dont know the root cause of why its missing (gremlins?..)

My question is when its missing, how can I trigger a "generate the BIF file"

What exactly did you check, and what was there?

HawkXP71
Just now, Luke said:

What exactly did you check, and what was there?

I looked at the settings for both my TV and Movies library, its set to 10 second interval, and is set as a task and when new media added

Then I checked the thumbnail image extraction Scheduled Task, ant its set to daily at 2am with a time limit of 4 hours

Again, for new movies added, I cant report "this movie was added and no bif was created". However I definitely have movies where the BIF was NOT created, and I would like to know how I can tell the system, this file needs a thumbnail.

Even when I manually kick of the task, its not finding the file.  For instance, the attached directory of "Alien Nation" (just one I noticed, there are others).

Screenshot 2022-11-07 10.52.05.png

and is set as a task and when new media added

And what schedule does the scheduled task have?

HawkXP71
3 hours ago, Luke said:

And what schedule does the scheduled task have?

As stated above

Then I checked the thumbnail image extraction Scheduled Task, ant its set to daily at 2am with a time limit of 4 hours

But also as stated, manually running the task, doesnt create the missing BIF files.  So if it was a task issue, manually running the task should have fixed it.  But it didnt

hooray4me

We're on 4.7.9 and see this same issue. Forcing a full metadata update (with replace existing images) is the only way we can get chapter images. 

This task appears to do nothing

image.png.c8561c1d60e9e224b552204065436d4c.png

other than generate these
image.png.8a0ceec1f4e8a0566c6e30d805ebb073.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 9 months later...
nlurker

Was a fix for this problem ever found?  Refresh Metadata is the only way I ever get any bif files.  Thumbnail task finishes in 0 seconds and never creates bif files. (Emby Version 4.8.0.43 beta)

From @Lukeabove the fixes are in 4.8 it seems. So unless you are running Beta. 4.7.14.0 is the latest and it still not functioning for me.

The BIF files are not automatically created after the show is completed and the scheduled task only works if I manually refresh the item first.

When 4.8 comes out I will check it all again i figured.

• 2 weeks later...

Since 4.8 is the target release to fix this, is there a target date for 4.8 yet? Just wondering... I do have a 'regular' work-around, but refreshing the metadata on the NFL football games is unkind as there is no good 'identity' for that, and it just comes up blank. The best I've found is to then manually identify it as "NFL Game of the week" since that at least has a general NFL image... 

Not a "real" problem, but a bother, and frankly one I don't understand - it's not like NFL games are an odd-ball program! 

Thanks -