v2.0.77 - direct play problem with 7.1 eac3 video

horstepipe
Go to solution Solved by horstepipe,

horstepipe

Hello

On v2.0.77 I'm seeing a direct play problem for a file having a 7.1 eac3 track. I set my Amazon stick to "downmix to stereo" in Emby settings.

The file doesn't start to play at all. If I enable transcoding it transcodes the audio because of "too much audio channels".

I didn't notice that problem on the prior version of Emby.

I sent inapp logs at 11:19 (Germany)

horstepipe

Audio settings on the Amazon stick itself were set to "PCM". If I set them to "Dolby Digital Plus" and in Emby set to "auto" it also works. But some people have older TVs / AVRs which do not support eac3 - so they need the option "downmix to stereo".

Edited by horstepipe

3 hours ago, horstepipe said:

If I enable transcoding

So that implies you've disabled transcoding on your server and, if you enable that, then our error fallback works correctly?

Audio settings on the Amazon stick itself were set to "PCM". If I set them to "Dolby Digital Plus" and in Emby set to "auto" it also works.

Okay, so the audio setting on the device may be the root of the issue.  Your log is full of invalid audio errors.

horstepipe

Basically yes, the fallback works 🙂

but we had the same situation some months ago and it was fixed. The problem seems to have introduced again with v2.0.77.

horstepipe

So basically Emby is not able to decode eac3 7.1 track to Stereo by itself in the current version anymore. 

horstepipe

It works there BUT

there is no option to downmix to stereo in that app and my devices support eac3. 
So I need to visit my friend who reported that issue and test it there…

horstepipe

Tested 3 other movies with the Android TV / Fire OS app on the stick, all same behavior.

eac3 5.1 works fine

eac3 7.1 does not work

if downmix to stereo is enabled.

• 2 weeks later...
horstepipe
On 6/30/2022 at 10:47 AM, horstepipe said:

It works there BUT

there is no option to downmix to stereo in that app and my devices support eac3. 
So I need to visit my friend who reported that issue and test it there…

15 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and let us know how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks !

horstepipe
On 7/14/2022 at 8:20 PM, Luke said:

We'll be getting a fix out for this. Thanks.

I thought a fix was already coming...?

• 1 month later...
horstepipe

So what is the status of the issue now? Shall I tell my user to try it with the recent android tv beta?

So what is the status of the issue now? Shall I tell my user to try it with the recent android tv beta?

Or have them side load the standard app.

horstepipe
3 hours ago, Luke said:

Or have them side load the standard app.

Yes this works. But as you and ebr said you have a fix for that in place I‘m wondering…

Did you think you have fixed it and later noticed you didn’t? Not a problem if this is the case but please inform about the status. 
Sideloading takes some time to bring the people to do it, as well as joining the beta program.

Bur whatever, I will try both things with him if I am there next time.

Best regards 

There should be another beta of the TV app in the next few days and you can see if that addresses this, or just use the standard one.