Migrating emby from Ubuntu to TrueNas

Yuya

Hello! This is my story of changing my OS from Ubuntu v20.04 to TrueNas Core v13.0. There was ALOT of problems, especially since I have to learn how TrueNas work. But at the end, I manage to fix "all" of my problems during my 2 weeks of troubleshooting. Emby was installed from here. Lets begin with issue number 1.

Issue #1 Server Configuration Backup

I've found "Server Configuration Backup" somewhat buggy. When selecting what to restore, If all options are selected and hit restore now. The plugin page for catalog won't load anymore and updates for any other plugin can't be updated/download. The only options I was able to select without it being bugged out is System Configuration, Library Definition and All the Users (Just the user, not the data of the user). I didn't go any further to troubleshoot this since I only needed those options and I had to reinstall emby every time it bugs out.

Issue #2 Emby's User Permissions (Fix)

This took me a very long time to understand this and I guess I understand why. Jail, vdev, pools... welp. For Emby to see the folder of your library, this forum will help. What if you want to do file share over lan? use this forum to do so.

Issue #3 File naming (Fix)

For some reason, the Emby on TrueNas does not detect the file same way as Ubuntu Emby does. Most of my files was name like this "Show name Season 1 - 5". Because of this, I had to rename ALOT of my files to meet the metadata god approval. (Still working on this). I found filebot to be very good at renaming files.... 95% of the time.

Issue #4 Networking (Fix)

I didn't touch any networking setting on truenas or on emby, so default. when connecting via lan, it work fine. when trying to connect via wan. Nope! port forwarding is fine, emby setting of remote access is fine. took me a few days to fix it. Here how I did it. on GUI of truenas, Go to jail, emby-server jail. stop emby, edit emby. By default, DHCP Autoconfig IP4 should be check, You need to uncheck that, and check NAT. Now go down and you will see network properties. Have NAT port forwarding Check. For the setting, Have Protocol to tcp, Jail and host port number 8096. With this, The WAN IP on the emby dashboard should be correct, But for LAN IP on the dashboard is incorrect. Under TrueNas plugins. It will say LAN IP under "Admin Portals" for emby.

Issue #5 GPU

I've not yet find a way to get emby to use GPU on TrueNas. It sucks but lucky for me, I have 18 cores cpu on this server.

Issue #6 Updating Emby (Fix)

I did have many other minor problems but most of them was fix with updating emby. I started the migration when emby was 4.7.1.0 Then I notice 4.7.4.0 came out but I had to manually update it. Which took me a while to learn how to do that. Can be found from this forum.

Any other other setting I might want to change or any criticism will be helpful. I'm still a noob in the Linux world but understand how things work. I still want to know how to get the GPU to work on emby for transcoding if that is possible.

For some reason, the Emby on TrueNas does not detect the file same way as Ubuntu Emby does. Most of my files was name like this "Show name Season 1 - 5". Because of this, I had to rename ALOT of my files to meet the metadata god approval. (Still working on this). I found filebot to be very good at renaming files.... 95% of the time.

Hi there, can you please go over a specific example? thanks.

19 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi there, can you please go over a specific example? thanks.

Sure, All The files were under TV shows. Using the show Black mirror as an example. All the files were name as "Black Mirror Season 1 - 1" etc. Emby was only able to find ONE of the episode per season, and that one episode that was found, can be a random episode in that season folder and can have a miss match metadata along with it. This was not an issue on ubuntu so I just use this type of naming format on 70-80% of my other media files. It was fix once I change the naming format to "Black Mirror - S01E01" etc, but thats alot of files I have to go through, but i'm doing it..... slowly but surely.

This was with my old naming format

image.png.0dae48bbbaad5865650caacd8bf91e37.png

This is the current/new naming format

image.thumb.png.83b7afc66f493064ebba2e960a363624.png

Yes, that is what i've been useing to rename the files. Just odd that the file detection is different on both emby.

5 minutes ago, Yuya said:

Folder path, It would be as so; TV Show\Black Mirror\Season 1\Black Mirror - S01E01

Can you please give an exact example, perhaps showing a screenshot of the library options? Thanks.

OK thanks, just wanted to confirm the type of path. Maybe it was due to two different versions of the server originally scanning in the libraries on the different machines?

Might be due to the different version of emby. I did went from 4.6 to 4.7 during the migration. Thats the only difference. that and the os change. everything else was the same, file/folder path, computer, file name, emby settings.