Jump to content

Subtitle issues for new Emby setup


rustic_philosop
 Share

Recommended Posts

rustic_philosop

I recently switched from Plex and so far things are pretty good but I do have a couple issues.  My setup is as follows:

  • Nvidia Shield running Emby server
  • Synology NAS which is media storage
  • Several Android TVs running Emby client
  • Several Roku TVs running Emby Client
  • Web Client

So, the issues specific to the Web client are:

  1. When playing video content I am able to open the interface for searching for subtitles but it is extremely inconsistent in terms of being able to find or download subtitles.  On the Android client I have no issues with this but the web client will not find any subtitles (I know they exist because sometimes they will load) and when the client can load a list of subtitles it will fail at downloading them.  I have put in my open subtitles user / pass and the settings look reasonable under my profile so I am not sure what the issue here is.

I appreciate any help addressing these issues.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi there, can you please go over a specific example? Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

rustic_philosop
  1. I start playing an episode of a show - Say Fringe, s01e07.
  2. Click on the subtitles (cc) button to bring up the search function
    1. Often times the search will just time out or return quickly with no results
    2. Other times subtitles are found but if you click on download an error will be showing saying unable to download

Behavior specific to web client as I can walk to the other room, fire up the Android client and the above behavior will work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

rustic_philosop

Here is a snippet generated when trying to download the subtitles for an episode.  Looks to be related to rate limiting.

I have a premier subscription and my use is pretty limited (single client at a time) so not sure why I would be hitting a rate limit.

emby_log_snippet.txt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

rustic_philosop

Also, I can't easily tell from the logs but maybe subtitles are trying to download automatically for the entire library?  I see subtitles configured in terms of language, etc but I don't see any option around automatic downloading.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

rodainas

That could be it.

There is an automatic subtitle download task that depends on how you configure subtitles for each library

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, rustic_philosop said:

Here is a snippet generated when trying to download the subtitles for an episode.  Looks to be related to rate limiting.

I have a premier subscription and my use is pretty limited (single client at a time) so not sure why I would be hitting a rate limit.

emby_log_snippet.txt 3.59 kB · 0 downloads

Can you please attach the complete emby server log? Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

rustic_philosop
1 hour ago, rodainas said:

That could be it.

There is an automatic subtitle download task that depends on how you configure subtitles for each library

What does that option look like?  I don't see anything that mentions automatic download.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, rustic_philosop said:

What does that option look like?  I don't see anything that mentions automatic download.

They are in the options for each library, at the bottom of the library options dialog. You don't need to configure automatic downloading just to use manual downloading.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, rustic_philosop said:

I don't see any timeouts here but I do see your OpenSubtitles rate limit being reached. I would suggest trying it again tomorrow. If you're going to be consistently hitting the OpenSubtitles daily rate limit, then you might want to become an OpenSubtitles VIP member.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

rustic_philosop
1 hour ago, Luke said:

They are in the options for each library, at the bottom of the library options dialog. You don't need to configure automatic downloading just to use manual downloading.

I don't see an option for automatic downloading.  Under "Subtitle Downloads" I can set the langauge, set the downloader, hash match, forced only, age limit, set to save subs into media folder, etc - nothing about automatic downloading.

In terms of the VIP membership - I think the throttling was somewhere north of 500 per day which unless there is automatic downloading happening I am not coming anywhere near that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, rustic_philosop said:

I don't see an option for automatic downloading.  Under "Subtitle Downloads" I can set the langauge, set the downloader, hash match, forced only, age limit, set to save subs into media folder, etc - nothing about automatic downloading.

In terms of the VIP membership - I think the throttling was somewhere north of 500 per day which unless there is automatic downloading happening I am not coming anywhere near that.

Those settings are the automatic download options.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

rustic_philosop
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Those settings are the automatic download options.

Which one though? 

What do I need to disable to turn off automatic downloads?  Would unchecking the language disable it or would it require all options (I wouldn't think that "Save subtitles into media folders" would apply only to auto downloaded subs after all) or would just the subtitle downloader option be required to uncheck? 

If your saying that "saving subtitles into media folders" or the selection for a Subtitle downloader only applies to the automatic download behavior and not manual subtitle behavior then thats fine but I would be curious as to what controls the manual subtitle behavior and suggest that the option wording be clarified as to what it represents. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

rodainas
2 minutes ago, rustic_philosop said:

Which one though? 

What do I need to disable to turn off automatic downloads?  Would unchecking the language disable it or would it require all options (I wouldn't think that "Save subtitles into media folders" would apply only to auto downloaded subs after all) or would just the subtitle downloader option be required to uncheck? 

If your saying that "saving subtitles into media folders" or the selection for a Subtitle downloader only applies to the automatic download behavior and not manual subtitle behavior then thats fine but I would be curious as to what controls the manual subtitle behavior and suggest that the option wording be clarified as to what it represents. 

All those settings are applied to a particular task:

So go to Scheduled Tasks -Library - Download subtitles 

There should be a daily trigger established there, just delete the trigger if you don't want the automation.

 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, rustic_philosop said:

Which one though? 

What do I need to disable to turn off automatic downloads?  Would unchecking the language disable it or would it require all options (I wouldn't think that "Save subtitles into media folders" would apply only to auto downloaded subs after all) or would just the subtitle downloader option be required to uncheck? 

If your saying that "saving subtitles into media folders" or the selection for a Subtitle downloader only applies to the automatic download behavior and not manual subtitle behavior then thats fine but I would be curious as to what controls the manual subtitle behavior and suggest that the option wording be clarified as to what it represents. 

Unchecking the languages would be the best way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Q-Droid

You can leave the library level subtitle options enabled and it will automatically try to download only for new media as it's added. The scheduled task is the one likely to be exhausting your daily limit because it runs a bulk job and many api hits. Once that limit is reached neither the manual or auto download will work until reset. Disabling the scheduled task should make everything including manual searches work better. There are occasional hiccups and the manual search might not return something the first time then a retry does.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

rustic_philosop

Thanks all for the info on scheduled tasks and disabling the language for automatic downloads - think that should sort it.  I would still suggest that the options be reworked some to consolidate subtitle behavior together in an intuitive way (even if that screen links out to library settings, tasks, etc).

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...