Should I switch my EMBY Server from Windows to Mac?

tekfranz

tekfranz

I am just wondering if EMBY Server runs well on a Mac. I am thinking of moving my Server to a Mac running Monterey.

ellisd4

Just going to be honest here, MacOS seems very low in the priority list. During the last beta there was not one beta release for MacOS, meaning GA for all OSes was GA for MacOS. All other OSes had beta releases, including NAS devices. I’m running Mac for my Emby server and it runs fairly well, but wanted to share that experience.  My main issue is that I have not be able to use HW transcoding at all, maybe because I’m on Apple Silicon.  I have NOT run Emby on any other OS, so I cannot compare. Only Plex to Emby.  Also, if you are on Apple Silicon, there is not support for that yet. It’s coming… but not sure when. I believe the issue is that with all other builds the release can be automated, but not with MacOS yet, which is very common.

Edited by ellisdustin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

tekfranz

Thanks. I might give it a try. 
Would you know if webm files play on IOS without hardware transcoding?

If it’s too much trouble I might try a Linux server instead.

Edited by tekfranz

tekfranz

The Mac Studio looks like a good Device, especially if one upgraded the SSD to 2TB.  I need to decide how much I want to spend on a home Server, especially when EBMS can make perfect use of a hand me down Windows box or said box with Linux installed.

Possibly, a Synology would be a better deal.

Edited by tekfranz

ellisd4
30 minutes ago, tekfranz said:

The Mac Studio looks like a good Device, especially if one upgraded the SSD to 2TB.  I need to decide how much I want to spend on a home Server, especially when EBMS can make perfect use of a hand me down Windows box or said box with Linux installed.

Possibly, a Synology would be a better deal.

I’d recommend not upgrading the SSD but that’s just me. I have a 512 m1 mini and run all my media off external drives.  That’s just me though. 

• 3 months later...
tekfranz

So my Windows EMBY Server died and and I migrated everything to my Intel MacBook Pro using a 5400 2.5 mm drive. The performance is amazing compared to the old machine that died!

The Server backup plug-in worked super well. The transition was very smooth.

i will see how much Performance I can get with 4 simultaneous streams running or whether I need to upgrade to USB-C SSD.

Edited by tekfranz
  • Thanks 1