How to install a prior version of the windows server ?

vanleeuwen

vanleeuwen

Should be a simple question but I can find the answer.

I download the server version I need from Releases · MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases · GitHub now I have a zip file that I unzip but then what ? I cant see any installer (there is an uninstaller) so how do i get it installed like it would with the online installer ?

Before someone asks I need the prior version 4.6 to continue using emby for WMC.

Happy2Play

@vanleeuwen You have to ensure you have disabled Auto update, then you shutdown Emby and replace the existing system file.

But note I believe there were database changes so you may see negative effects.  If you do you will possibly have to delete/rename the library.db and so a library scan to rebuild it.  Also note your userdata exists in that database so you would have to restore userdata.

vanleeuwen
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

@vanleeuwen You have to ensure you have disabled Auto update, then you shutdown Emby and replace the existing system file.

But note I believe there were database changes so you may see negative effects.  If you do you will possibly have to delete/rename the library.db and so a library scan to rebuild it.  Also note your userdata exists in that database so you would have to restore userdata.

I am doing a clean install so plan was to install fresh 4.6 server and turn off auto update as soon as I open it. I just need to know how to install the server on a fresh version of win10 or are you saying i need to use the online installer and try to roll it back ?

Happy2Play
45 minutes ago, vanleeuwen said:

I am doing a clean install so plan was to install fresh 4.6 server and turn off auto update as soon as I open it. I just need to know how to install the server on a fresh version of win10 or are you saying i need to use the online installer and try to roll it back ?

There are no installers for previous version.  You will just create a portable install then.  Put the system folder in a folder then launch the embyserver.exe.

vanleeuwen
1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

There are no installers for previous version.  You will just create a portable install then.  Put the system folder in a folder then launch the embyserver.exe.

Thanks, I did that and just have it in its own folder on the C drive and seems to be working although the stupid think upgraded it self to the latest server even thought auto updates is off. What a joke, stay in 4.6 they say yet you cant as it auto updates no matter what you do :(

Happy2Play
7 minutes ago, vanleeuwen said:

Thanks, I did that and just have it in its own folder on the C drive and seems to be working although the stupid think upgraded it self to the latest server even thought auto updates is off. What a joke, stay in 4.6 they say yet you cant as it auto updates no matter what you do :(

You will see a update button on Dashboard but should not update unless you click it.  Now if the update went through before you disabled the option, shutdown Emby and delete the update folder or just he zip file in it then start Emby.

vanleeuwen
23 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

You will see a update button on Dashboard but should not update unless you click it.  Now if the update went through before you disabled the option, shutdown Emby and delete the update folder or just he zip file in it then start Emby.

yeah I didn't update it (not that i can see an update button) I saved the auto update changes are restarted the server and it was on 4.6 then it updated anyway. I cant see any update folder or zip. the folder has a system.old now so looks like its more than deleting a zip file. 

I just deleted everything and started again this time turning off the internet before opening setting up the server. I have again turned off auto update and restarted etc. now internet is back on and it hasn't updated (although it still says my version (4.6) is UpToDate so it probably hasn't checked yet. Will see if this stops it updating.

For what it's worth although we're officially recommending the 4.6 server with Emby for WMC, I've seen others around here running 4.7 with it so there's a decent chance you'll be fine.