Remote User Switching Keeps Asking For Password

liamlovesyou

liamlovesyou

On my Android TV, I switch between a few different users. Everytime I switch, despite signing in before, it asks for that user's password once again. Is there any way to have it remember the device and not require a password unless said device is removed/uninstalled/signed out of? This is remotely. Thanks!

Edited by liamlovesyou

HI, sorry, you mentioned android TV so that's why I did that. Can you please go over an example of another device? Thanks.

liamlovesyou

I have my user profiles set to "Hide this user from login screens on devices they've never signed into" instead of hiding from remote connections, so when I first set up and log into my profiles, the username is remembered and presented, but there is no option for it to remember the user password to allow for easy switching. This happens across all platforms.

Happy2Play

Don't believe it has ever been possible to maintain multiple user logins per client.  Change user logs out the current user when the next user logs in is my understanding.

liamlovesyou
1 hour ago, Happy2Play said:

Don't believe it has ever been possible to maintain multiple user logins per client.  Change user logs out the current user when the next user logs in is my understanding.

What's the point of users, then?

GrimReaper
6 minutes ago, liamlovesyou said:

What's the point of users, then?

Access to different content within collection, individual Watched status tracking, individual Favorites, server admin...? 

• Like 1

liamlovesyou
43 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Access to different content within collection, individual Watched status tracking, individual Favorites, server admin...? 

If there's no easy switching between profiles for multiple users within a household, what's the point? Not sure how this project has gone on for so long without this LOL. Is there a reason?

Happy2Play
14 minutes ago, liamlovesyou said:

If there's no easy switching between profiles for multiple users within a household, what's the point? Not sure how this project has gone on for so long without this LOL. Is there a reason?

Personally, from a Remote standpoint I think it is correct.  From a local standpoint there are options for LAN.

liamlovesyou
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Personally, from a Remote standpoint I think it is correct.  From a local standpoint there are options for LAN.

How so? Is there a first layer of authentication you all are doing for your reverse proxies that I'm missing? Do you all not have passwords set on your user profiles? Genuinely confused as to why there shouldn't be at least an option for Emby to recognize devices like it does for users usernames but for password as well. Do you mind explaining why you think it's correct?

Happy2Play

From a remote standpoint every user password shouldn't be cached in a device.  But that may just be me as Remote rules should always be stricter than Local rules.

I don't see the point of a password if the device will cache everything and not require all remote users to reauthenticate.

As for local you have options to not require password on LAN or a numeric-Pin vs full password.

image.png.01311fefc6c1071c0b123f56557a7732.png

liamlovesyou
2 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

From a remote standpoint every user password shouldn't be cached in a device.  But that may just be me as Remote rules should always be stricter than Local rules.

I don't see the point of a password if the device will cache everything and not require all remote users to reauthenticate.

As for local you have options to not require password on LAN or a numeric-Pin vs full password.

image.png.01311fefc6c1071c0b123f56557a7732.png

This is why it should be an option, just as the LAN sign in mode is. "I don't see the point of a password if the device will cache everything and not require all remote users to reauthenticate" this is where I believe you are mistaken. Why would it cache everything? Just the users you set it to and sign into. How would it realistically be a problem, anymore than LAN is?

Seger

I'd like to join the discussion because I think it's just the concept of how you log in as a user. Netflix is also external access and they allow users to log in without a password. Of course, this is all related to user|admin rights, tokens, cache, session logins and much more. Maybe there will be a preview from @Luke and the team about what else is planned. If there is nothing, it is just right to describe the need again.

Otherwise, as always, great work and many greetings,
Seger

15 hours ago, liamlovesyou said:

How would it realistically be a problem, anymore than LAN is?

Hi.  Your LAN is physically secured inside your house (presumably) whereas the internet is a big place with many bad characters in it.

58 minutes ago, Seger said:

Netflix is also external access and they allow users to log in without a password.

Not really...  If you actually change Netflix accounts, you will need to re-authenticate.  What they have is more of a sub-user on the same account.  There is an open FR for that type of thing already so you can lend your support there.

liamlovesyou
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Your LAN is physically secured inside your house (presumably) whereas the internet is a big place with many bad characters in it.

Not really...  If you actually change Netflix accounts, you will need to re-authenticate.  What they have is more of a sub-user on the same account.  There is an open FR for that type of thing already so you can lend your support there.

Seger isn't taking about switching Netflix accounts, they're talking about profiles within one Netflix account. If you have a strong password, this really shouldn't be a security issue at all.

Edited by liamlovesyou

Hi, have your questions been answered? Each user is their own profile, with their own username and password.

liamlovesyou
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, have your questions been answered? Each user is their own profile, with their own username and password.

Good evening, no, I think there's a bit of confusion here. When I had my server remote, I would have different people switching user profiles on a single device and every switch logged said user out and requested a password, very annoying. I was requesting for a device to remember the password for users remotely, similar to how "last user logged on" works. You input once and the device remembers.

9 hours ago, liamlovesyou said:

Good evening, no, I think there's a bit of confusion here. When I had my server remote, I would have different people switching user profiles on a single device and every switch logged said user out and requested a password, very annoying. I was requesting for a device to remember the password for users remotely, similar to how "last user logged on" works. You input once and the device remembers.

Hi.  That is not currently possible.  Please lend your support to the feature request linked above.

Thanks.

liamlovesyou
6 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi.  That is not currently possible.  Please lend your support to the feature request linked above.

Thanks.

Why is it not possible?

pwhodges

Because it's not been programmed to do that.  There is a feature request for it to be added, as already mentioned.

Paul

liamlovesyou
2 hours ago, pwhodges said:

Because it's not been programmed to do that.  There is a feature request for it to be added, as already mentioned.

Paul

Ebr's choice of words made me assume it's literally not possible, not that it's something that hasn't been done yet. I see that it's been 4 years since that thread has been created and there has been no implementation of said feature. Deal breaker for me, sadly.

pwhodges

If your remote user has a fixed IP address, you could add that to the list of local addresses in Emby which would then treat it as if at home (i.e. with the option not to require passwords).

Paul

• 5 months later...
On 7/4/2022 at 3:52 AM, pwhodges said:

If your remote user has a fixed IP address, you could add that to the list of local addresses in Emby which would then treat it as if at home (i.e. with the option not to require passwords).

Paul

(i.e. with the option not to require ) Are you saying that if i put a ip in the local addresses i can have it require a password accept that local ip?

pwhodges

I can't make sense of your sentence - unless perhaps you meant "except", not "accept".

But easiest is for you to just try it.

Paul