Shield TV - 2.0.70g - Slow loading

VirulentPip

VirulentPip

With Enable Refresh Rate Switching turned on loading will be 5-6 seconds, with it off it's like 1-2. Not only is the long loading annoying it's interfering with the IntroSkip if intro is within those 5-6 seconds of the show starting. 

Has anyone had experience of this occurring and know of a fix or if one is incoming? 

Edited by VirulentPip

VirulentPip

For anything to play. I tested the latest Beta and it's the same, however with the Beta it doesn't interfere with the IntroSkip. 

6 hours ago, VirulentPip said:

Near instant loading compared

Hi. With the refresh rate switching enabled? 

That display switch does take a few seconds on most displays. 

VirulentPip
5 hours ago, ebr said:

Hi. With the refresh rate switching enabled? 

That display switch does take a few seconds on most displays. 

Yes even with the refresh rate enabled on the side loaded android version playback loads almost instant, checked via my LGC1 VRR stats that its changing. It's night and day difference to the android tv version. 

CassTG

I would probably agree somewhat, On Both my shields with AFR and Resolution switching, the blank screen as expected is a cpl of seconds, however then loading and starting takes a further 6+ seconds, using beta app. On the samsung tv app which auto refreshes quickly playback starts in a cpl of seconds. I always just put it down to whats going on in the background. I know using the same setup on the shields (server remote mappings etc) and a diff streaming app which i dont use anymore playback was very fast but that was it's only plus point

Edited by CassTG

rbjtech

Android TV playback with Refresh Rate on latest Android TV Client - via HTTP or Direct File Access (SE8) - Loads and plays within 2.5 seconds - timed via packet capture a little while ago so I know it's accurate. ;)  This is on an LG C8.

So the Client is certainly capable of a reasonably fast start - so is SE9 jamming up the works yet again ? 

@FrostByte Hi - If you use refresh switching - what are your start times like with ATV and SE9 ? 

FrostByte

With refresh switching on it takes right about 6-7 seconds from when I first click play until I see the rating symbol.  Tested on 5 4K movies.  This with a Shield Pro and SE 9.1 ebeta

Edited by FrostByte
  • Thanks 1

FrostByte

I know not everyone was able to get DFA to work, but it sure made a difference for me when it was available.

rbjtech

Actually - I'm gonna say it's not that fast anymore - I just re-timed it - and even on DFA, it's around 5-6 now .. ☺️

I took the refresh rate switch off and it's maybe 4-5 - but nowhere near as fast as it used to be.

I can wait 5-6 seconds - this also included switching the AVR mode to Tru-HD or whatever - so it's not a big issue.

@VirulentPip - I don't watch any TV on this setup, so Introskip was never really tested ..

Edited by rbjtech