Emby Theater 3.0.15 image not booting correctly on a dedicated Pi3

JocaOJay

JocaOJay

Hello there.

I'm a premium subscriber.

Just flashed a new emby theater image in a Pi3 but during boot up it always circles around and stops at the sudo terminal window with the "Raspberry Pi Software Configutation Tool (raspi-config)" aplication.

After fine-tunning some specs (like my wi-fi), after selecting <finish> it ends up in a black screen only with a mouse pointer and nothing else. I've tried to look for any parameter that would make sense in this context, but always ended up with the same result.

see attched an image of my soon to be dedicated emby client with the black screen on the back and the image downloaded and used.

please advise.

IMG_20220622_193936757_HDR.jpg

2022-06-22_19-42-12.png

HI, that's strange, but we are working on an updated RPI image so stay tuned: 

Thanks.

JocaOJay

That's good to know.

I can live with the KODI+ADDON approach for a while, but I really prefer having the theater solution!

Any launch estimation that you could share publicly?

chrisbr68

Hi guys, exact same problem for me here. Don't suppose there is a way to get hold of an older image in the meantime which we could try? Thanks!

• Like 1

JocaOJay
5 hours ago, chrisbr68 said:

Hi guys, exact same problem for me here. Don't suppose there is a way to get hold of an older image in the meantime which we could try? Thanks!

That's a great idea!

My use - for now - is quite basic.

I just want to watch my movies on my big screen, thus a feature long deployed.

No need for super recent fresh features and builds.

The Pi I use is a 3b, so also kinda old and so I assume totally harmonized with old builds compatibility.

@Luke is this possible?

chrisbr68

Jay have you got a smart TV? My girlfriend has a Sony which can't get thr emby app. Whereas my LG can. Anyway I wanted to use a theater pi on her telly but I found out if I do screen share from my phone to the TV it works really well, keeps playing even when I use the phones other apps! Had no idea it would work like that so now I don't need the theater at all.

• Like 1

JocaOJay
46 minutes ago, chrisbr68 said:

Jay have you got a smart TV? My girlfriend has a Sony which can't get thr emby app. Whereas my LG can. Anyway I wanted to use a theater pi on her telly but I found out if I do screen share from my phone to the TV it works really well, keeps playing even when I use the phones other apps! Had no idea it would work like that so now I don't need the theater at all.

Hi there.

I do have emby client on my smarrt tvs and it works flawlesly. I need it for a specific room here.

How do you share it? Do you use a Chromecast or similar?

My case is for a projector, thus a "non-smart" passive screen. I already have connected a chromecast to the whole system and it works fine, but the overall experience/usability comes from the premisse of using any android/iphone device. And this is nice as it works as you said, but I'd like to have it as plan B and my main Ux device would be to browse the big screen with a regular remote control. (I have my elders as "clients" and they dont get intimate with cel phones. hehehe)

chrisbr68

Yeah makes sense with the elders and no phone. I prefer to browse on the tv itself as well. I'm not using a chrome cast, it's the screen sharing option on my phone so I could show someone a website or texts or whatever it just mirrors the screen. But the video it seems to treat differently which works very well. Doesn't solve your issue though 😕 it's frustrating isn't it.

Maybe you can do something like install ubuntu and have theater launch on boot. I've not done that but that might be an option? Or use a ps4 or something else. Actually even an old laptop should do the trick and easier to obtain and will work with the remote i would think. Simplicy is key for them right!

• Like 1

JocaOJay
2 hours ago, chrisbr68 said:

Yeah makes sense with the elders and no phone. I prefer to browse on the tv itself as well. I'm not using a chrome cast, it's the screen sharing option on my phone so I could show someone a website or texts or whatever it just mirrors the screen. But the video it seems to treat differently which works very well. Doesn't solve your issue though 😕 it's frustrating isn't it.

Maybe you can do something like install ubuntu and have theater launch on boot. I've not done that but that might be an option? Or use a ps4 or something else. Actually even an old laptop should do the trick and easier to obtain and will work with the remote i would think. Simplicy is key for them right!

Yes we got options there, but nothing like the "taste" of having a "native" and "optimized" device. hehehe. I know it sounds like some sort of treat to me. The end result is what we aim for and both options below will be totally transparent to them:

• Raspbian + Theater autostart
  • KODI + Emby addon

I'll keep this post updated as I advance on it later this week. Thanks for your interest.

• Like 1