Remote control buttons do not work

ivanrakic
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

ivanrakic

I'm using Emby for Android TV on a Philips Android TV.

In the latest version “Channel UP/Down” on the remote control do not initiate “next/previous” video. Standard Android Emby app does this as expected on the same TV and using the same (original) remote control.

hi there, what version of the app do you have installed? What version of android does this TV run?

ivanrakic

Hi Luke,

TV has Android 9 running and I tried both stable Emby for Android TV 2.0.70 and the latest beta 2.0.77.

As mentioned in my previous post, regular android Emby version (not Android TV) works perfectly with the remote control.

14 hours ago, ivanrakic said:

“Channel UP/Down” on the remote control do not initiate “next/previous” video

Hi.  In exactly what situation?  During playback?

ivanrakic

Yup, during playback when Channel UP is clicked on the remote it doesn't switch to the next video.

11 hours ago, ivanrakic said:

Yup, during playback when Channel UP is clicked on the remote it doesn't switch to the next video.

Does your remote have next and prev skip buttons?  Those should work.

ivanrakic

It doesn't have those buttons, but I tried to remap some buttons to simulate those two. It still doesn't work although those buttons now work in other apps (YouTube, kodi...) as skip/prev buttons.

Edited by ivanrakic

ivanrakic

Update:

I tested few different remote controls and even attached a Logitech keyboard with Media Next and Previous buttons.

Results:
KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT 87 button WORKS (next video is played)
KEYCODE_MEDIA_PREVIOUS 88 button does NOT work (doesn't switch to previous video even if pressed couple of times)

KEYCODE_CHANNEL_UP 166 button does NOT work (doesn't switch to next or previous video even if pressed couple of times)
KEYCODE_CHANNEL_DOWN 167 button does NOT work (doesn't switch to next or previous video even if pressed couple of times)

Basically only KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT 87 button works for changing current video.

Hope this helps to narrow down the issue.

Edited by ivanrakic

Hi.  I'm a bit confused by your test report...

1 minute ago, ivanrakic said:

KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT 87 button WORKS (next video is played)

1 minute ago, ivanrakic said:

KEYCODE_MEDIA_NEXT 87 button does NOT work (doesn't switch to next video even if pressed couple of times)

• 8 months later...
ivanrakic

I tried the latest Android TV app beta version (2.087), and KEYCODE_MEDIA_PREVIOUS 88 still does not work.

It works fine in a standard Android app, though. Can you check why the previous track button does not work while the next button (KEYCODE_MEDIA_PREVIOUS 87) works just fine?

ivanrakic

With standard android app previous button (KEYCODE_MEDIA_PREVIOUS 88) works fine.

The problem with standard app is lack of chapters shortcut (UP button on the remote) which exists in Android TV version. Is it possible to fix either android tv version so it includes KEYCODE_MEDIA_PREVIOUS 88 or to add Dpad UP for Chapters in standard android app?

Thanks

5 hours ago, ivanrakic said:

With standard android app previous button (KEYCODE_MEDIA_PREVIOUS 88) works fine.

The problem with standard app is lack of chapters shortcut (UP button on the remote) which exists in Android TV version. Is it possible to fix either android tv version so it includes KEYCODE_MEDIA_PREVIOUS 88 or to add Dpad UP for Chapters in standard android app?

Thanks

It's only one extra click to get to chapters though, right?

ivanrakic

It is not, it actually takes 2-3 clicks to get the same functionality as with the Android Tv version (down, right, down). But that's not the point, there is a bug in the Android Tv version where remote controls work partially. I assumed that after a year, it would be resolved.

Edited by ivanrakic

• Solution
17 hours ago, ivanrakic said:

there is a bug in the Android Tv version where remote controls work partially

Hi.  It isn't really a bug but, rather, a deficiency and that is just because virtually no streaming box remotes have those buttons anymore so it doesn't affect very many users.  We are working on transitioning to the standard app though and that does support those keys.

ivanrakic

All clear; thank you for taking the time to reply. Next time I will check if the software I'm purchashing has an active support or not. Obiously I have to look elsewhere.

21 hours ago, ivanrakic said:

It is not, it actually takes 2-3 clicks to get the same functionality as with the Android Tv version (down, right, down). But that's not the point, there is a bug in the Android Tv version where remote controls work partially. I assumed that after a year, it would be resolved.

Hi, so if there were a faster way then you'd be happy with this?

• 1 month later...
errrata

I have a number of Philips TVs (2022-2023 models) using this remote control layout - https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/tLsAAOSwWC1iYsdp/s-l500.jpg , that lacks the 'next/prev' buttons, so I would appreciate a solution for this as well.

I also have the 'mecool' remote ( https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0375/3646/5034/products/2021MECOOLVoiceControlRemoteforMECOOLKM2NetflixCertifiedAndroidTVBox_2.png?v=1667183332 ) paired that lacks these buttons just as well.

It would be particularly useful when listening to music or watching music videos. I believe using channel up/down for next/prev would be an elegant solution, however as an alternative (as it was proposed in a different thread), 'pause - right' / 'pause - left' could also be a good shortcut, that would also help when using 'Shield' remote control and maybe other simplistic remotes.

• Thanks 1